Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what will a 3 bed , 2 bath shack on 20 acres , thats 10-15 years old cost up there ? In good shape.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most likely POW Island , but the penninsula would probably be allright. Where are all the NFP's at up there ? Also what would the price be within 75 miles of Anchorage ?

·
Registered
868 Posts
I still haven't had time to look at land prices but it would be cool if you went to POW because I spend time there....but I can answer your question about NFPs.

Some guys think that Alaska is so lacking in NFPs that they will never have a chance but let me tell ya something--in rural AK, most of the NOT SO NICE MPs have such abysmally developed "social skills" that a decent man such as yourself would be much appreciated and would have no problem at all.

I am in a major snit right now due to an unpleasant encounter of the non NMP variety and it's a damned good thing that I ain't in jail for attempted vehicular homicide right now though it would have been justifiable.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well thanks for the compliment .
Up there would not be a bad place to retire. But I don't want somewhere I have to deal with grizzlies , blackies are allright but no grizzlies.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Well, a pissed off NFP might be a bit more of a handful than a grizzly...but that's beside the point.

if you want to be away from brown bears, you might want to strongly consider POW or the rest of southern SE AK, because the rest of the state is fairly abundant n them. There's a grizzly hanging out a mile or so from here down by the river.

The more access to meat ( mostly fish) that brown bear get, the bigger they are. The ones on Kodiak et al are much larger than the ones in my area, for instance, because until the fall runs they are pretty much herbivores with the exception of the occasional moose and tourist.

Nothing but little black bear on POW and they're usually so well fed they don't bother trying to snack on humans ( though right now I can think of a few humans I'd like to invite to a little midnight barbecue...)

A word of advice about NFPs---you'll have them flocking around you instead of trying to run you over with their trucks once they figure out that you are not a gross pig.

Women up here are "romance deprived" in the rural areas. A lot is said about the abundance of single men up here. Yes, they quite outnumber us but quite a substantial portion of them would be single no matter where they lived.

Back to natural selection, I think that what is hard wired into us NFPs to run over certain men with our trucks ties right into Darwin's theory...

You'll do fine as long as you act like the gentleman that you are when a NFP catches your eye--women up here get lonely too, and a little romance , a little appreciation of the right kind goes a long way towards keeping those tire marks from being your latest fashion accessory...

and who knows, maybe you and I can meet up on POW....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In Alaska do you have a fairly diverse selection of NFP's based on there ethnic background ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did a search for homes and or real estate on POW . And saw some pretty intresting places . I do not think it would be difficult at all to get a decent house and a couple acres for $150,000 .
But from what I saw in the search Ketchikan doesn't sound bad either. Need to be somewhere that has Blacktails and Black Bears. And possibly moose.

·
Registered
868 Posts
When I get home frim work I'll post some pics I have of POW.

In the rural areas of AK you'll mostly find Native or Caucasion women.

And I could be wrong but I think that in this state, pretty much anywhere there are moose there are also brown bears.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well I could live in POW and come and visit you for a week every year to get my moose :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :!:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Prince of Wales Island, Alaska...

Craig, on the west side, is the main community on POW....this is a westerly view. POW is about 35 miles wide and 150 miles in length.

and...there's a great lady there to process and can your salmon...:lol:

·
Registered
99 Posts
6pt....

Check your PM's...

BTW.... I know her son Matt and he does take good pictures...all of the above

And... her mom does a great job putting up salmon for her customers....

·
Registered
99 Posts
ok.....

The seiner ( fishing boat ) picture was taken at a place refered to as Granite...just south of Noyes Island, which is off the west coast of POW....been there done that

The other two pictures are along the highway between Klawock and Thorne Bay on Prince of Wales Island

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Beautiful area, especially the bay. What are the conditions of that bay during the winter time there? Could I anchor my boat there and spend the winter months in the area, or does it freeze solid? If I were to go around the top in the NW Passage would it be a good startoff point? Would love to see the Artic area someday, maybe do a little hunting in the area too, stock up on some food, fur, etc...

·
Registered
868 Posts
Stardate, POW has a maritime climate pretty similar to NW WA, so yes, you could have a boat there year round. I've only seen very minor freezes at the very edges of the bays there and that's not typical. There isn't even snow on the ground all winter down there.

Of course up where I live it's rather a different story as it's almost May and still snowing...

Sparky I wonder if you ever knew a tall blonde barge manager NMP in Anacortes who was a boat captain up here for years though he doesn't live in Anacortes anymore?

·
Registered
99 Posts
ya gotta give me a bit more infomation.... and what do you mean by a " barge manager"...?

may have to git the ole gold dredge and related tools out this summer with the prices hovering at $650...

·
Registered
868 Posts
Oh I don't know, all he said was that after he got out of the Merchant Marines he managed a barge thingie in Anacortes for a while before he became a Ship Captain up here.

I dream about him at night and he and I stare stupidly at each other whenever we see each other. I know you know at least one person who knows him. :)

But I still like you better and I think you know why ;)

You're always gonna be my favorite NMP so anytime you want to come up here and pan for gold, let me know...so I can make you pumpkin muffins, rub your feet, and basically spoil you rotten the way you deserve..ya know you'd love it. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts