Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an active game hunter out of Kentucky and when it come to hogs there is nothing more I like having with me than some good dogs and mid size sword made just for the critters , don't get me wrong I love my guns as well just for other game, how many here hunt with dogs vs guns when it comes hogs and have you ever tried the other way?

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Don't/won't hunt them with dogs. But I (actually - my WIFE has them!) do have a pair of Southern Black Mouth Curs (NO - not a cur dog) that a number of people use to hunt hogs. They re great dogs, and if I were to hunt hogs with dogs, I would def go to the BMC breed. They are awesome, and have a true "Catch and Kill" breeding

Reactions: LT

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
Never hunted hogs myself, but I'd like to go someday..... especially with dogs. Looks like fun!!

·
Banned
308 Posts
If I had the dogs I'd definitely do it more often. Been on three dog-hawg hunts in my life, and they were definitely more exciting than sitting in a blind.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I hunted in Lake Wales, FL with Larry Stone and his dog Gator (1/2 lab, 1/2 pit bull) and it was a blast. He bayed two at once and I shot one with my pistol, then he bayed a single one in a palmetto thicket that I caught by hand and released it, what a rush. Much more exciting than stand hunting for hogs. It reminded me of running **** & fox (just a lot bigger) as a kid. We had real good Plott hounds that we hunted the fields, woods and swamps around our farm. The echo of the hounds throughout the woods and the exhilaration of the chase was exciting as heck. If I had more time I would love to have some Plott hounds to run behind.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
One of the meanest guys ever raised up in my home town had a pack of pits and cur dogs and it was not unusual for him to live catch 5 to 10 hogs a day. Matter of fact he made a pretty good living catching hogs and selling them. One day the little pansy banker we had at the bank wanted to go hog hunting so Hank took him along and the dogs chased a big hog up in a briar patch and the banker got a little too close and the hog got after him and cut a big hunk of fabric out of the back end of his britches. It was the last time he ever mentioned wanting to go hog hunting with dogs. Another friend of mine raised some puppies that were 1/2 pointer bird dog and 1/2 Catahoula Cur and when the puppies were young he would put them in a pen with a small pot belly pig and the pig would knock them around a little but it didn't take long before the puppies learned if they would clamp down of the pigs ear and hold him they were out of harms way. The pointer in the dogs give them a good trailing nose and the Cur gives them grit. They might not need much grit because some of the worst dog fights I have ever seen were between pointer bird dogs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts