Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does your state allow you to purchase automatics?

I just bought another sweet auto this morning, one I've always wanted ... a ProTech Godfather, basic black.

I've got quite a few. We can buy them over the counter here without having to be active duty LEO or military.

I got my first auto decades ago in the military. They were basic issue for jumpmasters in my old unit on a battalion level because our CO was old school. I started buying more when I got to Italy. Been buying them every since.

But I did not realize until this morning that you can't own them in all states anymore? Well, I always figured NY and California ... but the guy who sold me the ProTech this morning was from Ohio and he was telling me how you couldn't buy them up there unless you were LEO or EMT I think he said?

It made me wonder in which states they are illegal to own?

Also, do you own one? What make and model?

Of all my automatics my favorite is ... well, this Godfather may be my new favorite.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Kinda partial to old Micro-techs, but carry an old Benchmade.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Well in NJ any knife that was even "assisted" is categorized as a "switch blade" and is illegal. You needed to be VERY careful in case a police officer didn't know the difference and you got caught with an assisted blade. Glad I got out of there!

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
New York = NOPE!!!!!! Heck we even get told here what size soda we can have!!!?!? :banghead: :banghead: :bawling: :argh:

If THey could only read my mind :eek: :goodnight: HA!?

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just found a really neat site that lists the laws for each state in an easy to understand format:

State Knife Laws By State - How to Stay Legal - Survival Life - Survival Life | Preppers | Survival Gear | Blog

For instance, South Carolina, which apparently has some of the best knife laws in the country for those of us who like knives:

40. South Carolina Knife LawsWhat is Legal to Own
  • It is legal to own a switchblade
  • It is legal to own a Balisong, or butterfly, knife
  • It is legal to own a Bowie knife
  • It is legal to own a dirk, dagger, or other stabbing knife
  • It is legal to own a stiletto
  • It is legal to own a disguised knife, such as in a lipstick or belt buckle
What is Illegal to Own
  • It is legal to own any type of knife in South Carolina.
Restrictions on Carry
  • It is legal to conceal carry dirk
  • It is legal to conceal carry a switchblade knife
  • It is legal to conceal carry a Balisong, or butterfly knife
  • It is legal to conceal carry a Bowie knife
  • It is legal to conceal carry a stiletto

Florida:

9.Florida Knife LawsWhat is Legal to Own
  • Balisong knives are legal.
  • Belt knives, cane knives, and other disguised knives are legal.
  • Bowie knives and other large knives are legal.
  • Throwing stars and throwing knives are legal.
  • Undetectable knives (knives that will not set off metal detectors) are legal.
  • Ballistic knives are illegal.
The law does not limit individuals from owning, selling, or buying any knife except for ballistic knives.
Limits on Carry
  • You can open carry any knife.
  • Box cutters, multi-tools, and other work knives are legal to carry concealed.
  • In most cases, conceal carry of a common pocket knife with a blade of less than 4 inches is legal.
  • Anything outside of this has not been expressly banned or allowed.

New York:

32. New York Knife LawsWhat is Legal to Own
  • It is legal to own a hunting knife
  • It is legal to own a dirk or dagger
What is Illegal to Own
  • It is illegal to own a pilum ballistic knife
  • It is illegal to own a metal knuckle knife
  • It is illegal to own a cane sword
  • It is illegal to own throwing stars
  • It is illegal to own any knife if you are not a U.S. citizen
  • It is illegal to own any knife adapted for use primarily as a weapon
  • It may be illegal to own a gravity knife, without a valid hunting and/or fishing license
  • It may be illegal to own a switchblade knife, without a valid hunting and/or fishing license

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Assisted opening knives are illegal to carry in WA. But.... I carry my Kershaw (ken onion leek) everyday anyway. I use it for what it is, a tool. Many time's a knife that take's two hands to open just doesn't work for me. I think it's really absurd myself, I can carry a Glock, but not a assisted knife? Really? Sword canes are illegal to carry as well, and that make's me wonder who's writing our stupid law's. I can carry a cane, and do, but I can't have a sword inside, I guess they think shooting is better than stabbing when it come's to self defense.

·
Premium Member
11,161 Posts
In CT, Switchblade knives are as DANGEROUS as High Capacity Magazines!...........:ahhhhh:Legal to own, but NOT to carry.........:hmmmm: I think CT has a 3" limit on blade length, but I've never really research it, cuz I don't care!...............:biggrin:

I used to collect Switchblades (Antiques mostly) but lost my interest, and sold most of them........'Still have a few left.

I had a few times that button knife opened in my pocket, an that ended my interest in them.

I still have, and carry a few Ken Onion Speed Safe knives, but the blade style is lacking, except for cutting string, and opening mail...........

I NOT interested in the Tactical Folders, or anything Tactical, for that matter...........

Now, I'm back to carrying a Swiss Army knife, or a small sheath knife...............

Tom

Reactions: Gallo Pazzesco

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
In 1994, in State v. Spencer, the Supreme Court of Washington held that there must be a sufficient basis for the alarm, such that a reasonable person would be alarmed. Also in 1994, the Court held, in State v. Byrd, that because the display of a weapon in a manner that caused reasonable fear or alarm could be done without intent, a violation of the statute did not require intent. This means that one does not have to intend to cause alarm or fear in order to be guilty of a crime under the statute. From the article. This is ANY weapon, knife, gun, sword, etc. Kinda blow's our OC law right out of the water. A guy was arrested in Vancouver,WA not long ago for having his uncased longarm on the sidewalk. He's fighting it in court. Good luck to him, because the lib's on the stacked jury's, and the court's here are going to have fun at his appeal's hearing. He even had witnesses who testifyed that he did not display it in any threatening manner's. But then what did he expect? In Seattle you can get shot for carving. The downward spiral continue's.

Reactions: Gallo Pazzesco

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Bloodgroove is correct switchblades are illegal in NY state for non LEO although I think EMTs/paramedics can own them. I have a few automatics, a couple of cheap ones and then a couple of Hubertus knives which I really like. The protech knives are beautiful blades and I'd love to own one but they're just not in my budget, microtech makes some nice ones too.

Stu

·
Registered
717 Posts
no automatic knives here in sunny Kalifornia.....I also carry a spring assist Kershaw Leek in my pocket 24/7. If I have my pants on that knife is clipped to my right front pocket. When I go to my winter place (Apache Junction, AZ) I can buy any number of automatic knives at the liquor store up on the corner, haha......Mike

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Pretty Crazy alright fellow's . Well the best thing I can say about this subject here in Texas is , Don't mess with our legislator down here . That is until the liberal take over the Capital that is , If Ever .....Dear GOD" forbid .

Magnum6

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I just found a really neat site that lists the laws for each state in an easy to understand format:

State Knife Laws By State - How to Stay Legal - Survival Life - Survival Life | Preppers | Survival Gear | Blog

For instance, South Carolina, which apparently has some of the best knife laws in the country for those of us who like knives:

40. South Carolina Knife Laws

What is Legal to Own
  • It is legal to own a switchblade
  • It is legal to own a Balisong, or butterfly, knife
  • It is legal to own a Bowie knife
  • It is legal to own a dirk, dagger, or other stabbing knife
  • It is legal to own a disguised knife, such as in a lipstick or belt buckle
What is Illegal to Own
  • It is legal to own any type of knife in South Carolina.
Restrictions on Carry
  • It is legal to conceal carry dirk
  • It is legal to conceal carry a switchblade knife
  • It is legal to conceal carry a Balisong, or butterfly knife
  • It is legal to conceal carry a Bowie knife
  • It is legal to conceal carry a stiletto

Florida:

9.Florida Knife Laws

What is Legal to Own
  • Balisong knives are legal.
  • Belt knives, cane knives, and other disguised knives are legal.
  • Bowie knives and other large knives are legal.
  • Throwing stars and throwing knives are legal.
  • Undetectable knives (knives that will not set off metal detectors) are legal.
  • Ballistic knives are illegal.
The law does not limit individuals from owning, selling, or buying any knife except for ballistic knives.
Limits on Carry
  • You can open carry any knife.
  • Box cutters, multi-tools, and other work knives are legal to carry concealed.
  • In most cases, conceal carry of a common pocket knife with a blade of less than 4 inches is legal.
  • Anything outside of this has not been expressly banned or allowed.

New York:

32. New York Knife Laws

What is Legal to Own
  • It is legal to own a hunting knife
  • It is legal to own a dirk or dagger
What is Illegal to Own
  • It is illegal to own a pilum ballistic knife
  • It is illegal to own a metal knuckle knife
  • It is illegal to own a cane sword
  • It is illegal to own throwing stars
  • It is illegal to own any knife if you are not a U.S. citizen
  • It is illegal to own any knife adapted for use primarily as a weapon
  • It may be illegal to own a gravity knife, without a valid hunting and/or fishing license
  • It may be illegal to own a switchblade knife, without a valid hunting and/or fishing license
It's illegal to own any knife if you are not a US citizen? Wow...I have never heard this....they MUST mean Citizen or permanent resident I hope...I've been permanent resident for over 10 years now and tbh it would be hard to get by without owning ANY knife...I have hundreds of knives probably if you count all kitchen knifes, knives part of silverware, leatherman tools, swiss army knives, work knives such as box cutters etc, hunting knifes, pocket knifes and survival knives etc...
I'm allowed to own firearms and chainsaws and axes and hammers as permanent resident.......a permanent resident (green card holder) basically lives as a citizen in the US with the same rights, pay the same taxes etc etc except they can't vote in national elections and run for office, do jury duty etc. seems weird if it was completely ILLEGAL to own knives specifically

BTW does anyone know what category a Benchmade Griptilian falls under for example...it's not automatic or assisted but it can be open with one hand if needed by pulling on the lock mechanism and flicking the blade out.?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts