Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had the new Wisner extractor installed to fix some of my problems. Shot a variety today and it did not like the CB shorts. Could not eject most as they hit the sides before they could escape. I also had several jams with CB longs. No issues at all with bulk Federal or Mini-mag. My other 39A shoots them with no issues but have not tried CB Shorts in that gun. That gun still has the paperclip extractor.

Any thoughts?

·
Administrator
23,807 Posts
CCI standard velocity or Rem sub sonic Long rifles.

Never been much on the shorts sort of person, I have tested a lot of them, final thing is most often they cost more than long rifles ditto on longs. My 66 39A shoots anything the 2003 don't like shorts either.

Bottom line I'd rather not have to clean my chamber from the sludge left behind by anything shorter than a long rifle.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Both my '48 and '77 39As like the CCI CBs. Got the '77 with Weaver 4x sighted in for backyard pests, makes a dandy training round, low noise and no recoil. Really don't use enough of them for chamber crud to be a problem. BTW, got the '48 w/lyman receiver sight sighted in for CCI subsonics @ 50yds.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Way back when I first got my 39 shorts were really cheap and I shot a lot of them at rats in the dump. Never had a problem, but it's probably been 30 years since I have put a short through any 22 that I own. As Swany says, they are now one of the most expensive 22 you can buy.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have two model 39s. One from 1950, and one from 2002.

Both will fire the CB shorts just fine. When working the action with those short bullets, it's a little bit sensitive to speed.

If I try to work the lever too slow, or too fast it might flip the small bullet upside down on the carrier and then it won't chamber.

A nice smooth stroke of the lever works every time.

Like many others have posted here, I don't shoot them very often.

If I find myself needing a Varmint shot in a place where low noise is a requirement (Like My yard), I use a Magnum Air rifle.

I hope that in the event I get caught shooting that I can play the "Hey, It's Just A Pellet Gun" card and avoid an arrest for discharging a fire arm.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
I use the CCI CB Longs in my '79 39A for pest control around the house. In fact, I keep that particular rifle sighted in for just that load and purpose. I find them as quiet as the CB Shorts, less prone to leave any lube and powder rings in the chamber that could make chambering Long Rifles difficult, and feed without a hitch.

Roe

·
Registered
6 Posts
i've got a '52 39a and for awhile shot only cb shorts and not a problem. everything i've put through it works, it doesn't seem to dislike anything or at least I haven't found a round it doesn't like.

·
Vendor
1,942 Posts
When I was shooting ISU Pistol, Rapid Fire was one of the Olympic and World Cup events. My "Rapid" gun is a Pardini, has a 1/2 lb trigger, and (get this) is ported to reduce muzzle jump....

One of the large wholesalers imported Russian 22 Short Target ammo and sold it fairly cheap by the 7000 round, wooden case. The ammo had a larger (and greasy) lead bullet which caused some trouble in the Pardini Chamber. I put together a non ported and standard chambered barrel and shot quite a few of them through the gun. The velocity was about the same as CCI CB SHorts and accuracy outstanding.

HOWEVER.... About the same time the Marlin 39 Century featured in the Skinner Sight Banner here in MO and at www.skinnersights.com came to our home. We started shooting those shorts in the 39 and loved them. It feeds almost flawlessly, there is no recoil or noise, and the accuracy is outstanding. I'd guess 8 - 10,000 of those shorts went through the 39 over the past 15 years. The truth is, shorts will allow erroding of the chamber (so will Long Rifles but it doesnt effect extraction like shorts) My chamber has that errosion but is still extracting LR just fine. If you shoot a lot of .22's through one gun, look in the bottom of the chamber for a depression just ahead of the case mouth. That is where the hot buring powder seems to eat away at the steel.

Another thing we learned while shooting all those Russian rounds is that even at "Target Short" velocity, penetration on critters is fairly amazing. The shorts had killing power beyond what the Vel/Ft Lbs would indicate.

When CB Shorts and Model 39's are mentioned, I'm reminded of warm summer evenings and fun days afield with my son. He and I still agree that those were the best of times.

Life is good....

·
Registered
849 Posts
My 2007 39A shoots everything flawlessly.

It shoots the CB Longs more accurately than the CB Shorts. The only advantage is I can fit more shorts in the mag tube.

I always run some CB's through my rifle (after a thorough cleaning) before target shooting to foul up the throat a little bit. Then 4-5 LR's and she is shooting 1 hole groups with no fliers.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I've used them periodically and I've had no problems with them.

·
Registered
593 Posts
My 1965 39A shoots anything I feed her and I use shorts for squirrel hunting. They don't make much noise and you can even get more than one squirrel out of a tree without scaring them off when you shoot the first one. The shorts are a lot of fun to shoot but like Swany said, you have to clean the chamber because they are shorter than the LRs.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Shot 4 or 5 boxes of shorts in my 39A. That was back in the middle 70's. Wife bought them instead of Lr. Like Frank said I had to ease the lever to get them to feed. Squirrel hunted with shorts using a Rem 550 back years ago. That was when Rem made good 22 Ammo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts