Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some say yes, others say no. I say Definitely! I have also found that one tenth grain of powder can make a difference as well. The below groups were a load work up for my SG 35, and two tenths as you can see made a dramatic difference in group size(as did one tenth grain)..............dont cut yourself short. If you are working with half grain increments and find the best group you can shoot, work around that load in two or even one tenth grain increments and you may be amazed at the accuracy you can obtain.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,972 Posts
Hitting the sweet spot requires 1/10th grain measurements. Usually doesn't show up in straight wall cases as much as bottle necks.
You can divide the velocity by the grains of your load and come up with approx. Fps per Grain. I use Algebra all the time to figure
out equivalent loads from one powder to another if not available in manuals. To do this you have to have some knowledge of burn
rate and types of powder. I use this to reach basis for starting loads. I don't have any fancy CUP instruments, but I have a brother
that will shoot anything. If he comes back with all his parts I know it's a good load.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Good to know...a little goes a long way at times!

Good to know...a little goes a long way at times!

Hitting the sweet spot requires 1/10th grain measurements. Usually doesn't show up in straight wall cases as much as bottle necks.
You can divide the velocity by the grains of your load and come up with approx. Fps per Grain. I use Algebra all the time to figure
out equivalent loads from one powder to another if not available in manuals. To do this you have to have some knowledge of burn
rate and types of powder. I use this to reach basis for starting loads. I don't have any fancy CUP instruments, but I have a brother
that will shoot anything. If he comes back with all his parts I know it's a good load.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts