Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the dovetailed piece of steel that the mag tube is attached via a screw at the muzzle supposed to move freely? I can move mine back and forth with finger pressure, and I don't think it is supposed to be doing this. Also, I've had one hell of a time zeroing the rifle in at 100 yds due to shifting point of impact, which I believe is due to the mag tube being able to move. I've tried shooting the thing with a full mag tube and one at a time- no difference. When I tightened the screws down (the one under the receiver where the mag tube joins the receiver and the one in the mag tube at the end of the muzzle), accuracy went out the window, and the gun wouldn't even print 12 inch groups at 100 yards. Usually, it will shoot into 2 inches at that distance with iron sights, just the point of impact continues to shift. Should I send the thing to Marlin or get rid of it? I'm thinking that the mag tube is shifting, and when I tighten the screws, something gets put in a bind that exerts pressure on the thin barrel, causing groups to move drastically. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Snug but not overly tight, no it should not wiggle. Try to tighten it up and if it won't something is wrong.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Russell420,

I just spent some time this weekend fixing the same problem on a 336 in 30-30.

Basically, all the screws had to be tightened to make the gun shoot straight again. I snugged ALL the receiver, lever, tang, and barrel screws. After all exposed screws were tightened the gun was shooting 1-2 groups.

My 1895cb needs to be tightened up from time to time. The effects of recoil and general use I suppose.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Deadeye-

My problem seems to be the exact opposite of yours. It was when I tightened the screw on the underside of the receiver next to the forend that the gun started shooting patterns instead of groups.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Russell420,

Have you checked your front sight? On my 1895cb the sight was moving in the dove tail each time I shot.

I discovered this by using finger nail polish on the dove tail. After I fired the sight moved and cracked the nail polish.

I have also tightened the front fore arm band. I wonder if some way yours is putting preasure on the barrel when you tighten the muzzel end.

Just a few thoughts and suggestions....

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same problem with mine. It turned out that there were some 1895 cb's that had that mag tube dovetail cut too deep into the barrel. It actually caused a slight bulge inside the bore and the dovetail itself was slightly enlarged. I called Marlin and they had me send the rifle back to be rebarreled. They had it back to me in three weeks and did a trigger job on it to boot. Now I can shoot 1.25"- 2" with factory ammo. Good luck!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Send that rifle back to Marlin !! C'mon, you can live without it for 3-4 weeks. If you sell it or trade it you will lose alot of money on the deal.

Make the Marlin company fix that thing !!!!!!! I'm surprised that got by Q.A. in the first place. C'mon Marlin, get with it !! Little flaws do sneak by inspectors from time to time but there is no excuse for that one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts