Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does Like Dixe

MY friends knottybumpo and deadeye took me to argyle wisconsin one morning to do some bowhunting for whitetails. i had never been to this particular woods in my life.

on arriving, they gave me some generalised directions on an area for me to hunt. it was pitch dark as i headed off in search of a place to set up. i walked a fencerow until it intersected with another fence. my side of the fence was all hayfield while the other was wooded. i crossed the fence into the woodlot and let my eyes adjust to the still darker environment. i could just make out that the fence i had been walking along actually tee'd into the other one. just inside the woods, i realized i was on a hillside and there was a hollow of sorts under me. the fences and the top of that hill created what i knew would be a funnel.

i found a walnut tree up close to the edge of the hill and against the fence as close as i could get to it. as it was still too dark to see anything, i just had to trust that there would be hole for me to shoot through to wherever the deer MIGHT come through.

i set my old baker climber on the walnut tree and climbed to a heighth of about 12'. the bow came up the tree and i settled in to wait.

the dawn came finally and squirrels started cutting walnuts everyplace! i was wishing for my .22 rifle instead. just after it got good light, i saw deer coming towards me. they came to within about 40 yards and stopped. there were 3 of them. one was a large doe and the other two were both bucks that i could not tell the differance between. both were about 175 pound 8 pointers. alright! at least seeing deer is better than seeing no deer.
about that time the doe lays down. uh-oh! the bucks both found them a cozy spot and laid down also. it was early so i figure i would just sit up there and watch them. what else could i do. they were 40 yards off and in the thick stuff to boot. it was about then that i realized the woods was awful thick and holes to shoot through were mighty scarce.
so i sat and watched them watching carefully and nodding off for whole 30 seconds at a time.

i was treed! i couldn't move around much for fear they would spot me. it was plain that they were not going to move for the rest of the day. it was a sunday morning and we were only going to stay until 11 am or so. i decided i would wait as long as i could to see if they would move. they didn't.

while sitting there i was trying to come up with some kind of plan that might bring them closer to me. i had one but it sure wasn't a cinch!

it finally came time to do something or run them off. i knew that the old doe would be a lot more curious about things than those old bucks. they are not the curious types. i figured since the bucks were hanging out with this doe that they would go with her when she went.

when i could not wait any longer, i started slowly and quietly whistling dixie. i watched them closely and picked up the volume a little at a time.

finally the heads came up. then the whole deers got up! i stopped. the old doe had my direction and started sneaking slowly towards me. the bucks hung back. i became a walnut tree. i had to let the doe walk past me. she did at under ten yards. i did not bat an eyelash until she got past me. what would those bucks do now?

one of them turned and walked straight the other way! the plan had had some success until that time. everything hinged on the other one. he stood watching his girlfriend leaving. he started moving. his direction was out in front of me but angling. he was not going to follow directly behind her. i searched deparately in front of him for an opening to shoot to. i found one that was awful small but clear. the distance was about 30 yards. would the deer pass through it. a few seconds passed and he did exactly that. i was holding on the spot before he got to it and shot as soon as he came into it. the arrow took him just right!
he ran down the hill and started up the other side. i saw it stop and fall over.

i used up most of the good luck i have enjoyed in this life on that morning!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i reckon you are referring to the name "KNOTTYBUMPO". you are correct in that it is a borrowed bastardization of the name given to james fenimore cooper's charecter which was knattybumpo. his charecter is less believable than the person i hung this knickname on. he deserves it! lol!

my good friends knottybumpo, deadeye and i made a trip up into your state on a bowhunting caribou trip. i tagged him with that name on account of his great pathfinding and bug attracting capabilities! those alaskan bugs are healthy and liked knotty a LOT! LOL!

truth is, they enjoyed us all. we also enjoyed them...in soup...water..and the very air we were breathing.

i hope to enjoy another dose of them before i am too much older. i am also sure that i will not be going without knottybumpo.

luck!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I read your story of hunting Caribou and sound like you had fun, one of the smartest things that you did was do a fly in, they are spendy but you get away from the rif raf and you got to see some of the real Alaska.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
btt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts