Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Does anyone use lee 240 gr bullets in 44 mag?

2K views 24 replies 5 participants last post by  lumpy grits 
#1 ·
Does anyone use 240 gr semi wadcutters cast from lee dies in their 1894 44 mag? This is the bullet with the gas check. Some say that they won’t feed. Is there a way to help them feed properly? And what overall length are you using?

#2 ·
If you have access to a few, try loading them up as dummies and see for yourself. Consider that different rifles can have preferences for what bullets they like. You could also try seating the bullets a bit deeper into the cases, to make them shorter, and to decrease the OAL. Another suggestion is to polish the top of the chamber, where the bullet tip first contacts the chamber.

Reactions: SIRJ
#9 ·
It appears that the bullet is catching on the top of the chamber as it’s going in. I believe where the Nose of the bullet juts out to right in front of the crimp groove is what’s catching.
Does anyone make a modified lifter that would put the bullet into the chamber at a different angle?

#15 ·
I would expect them to not feed well in a lever rifle and limited to use in a revolver.

Reactions: SIRJ
#16 ·
Ammunition Metal Bullet Brass

Ive tried it with no ejector, no extractor and with no ejector or extractor. Still not working. I don’t happen to have any 44 special brass but I will try that as a last resort when I get some. Otherwise I will be looking for a different mold.

#18 ·
The round hangs up on the top of the chamber at the bullets shoulder. Even shaving some lead off if I work the lever with a little force. I’ve not tried any other types of lead bullets because I don’t have any. But it feed Hornady xtp bullets fine. It appears I have 2 options. Either use jacketed bullets or different style lead.

#23 ·
That’s what I was trying to convey in post 18. I don’t feel comfortable doing that work and it’s not worth it to me to take it to a gunsmith and pay to have it done. I’m usually more of a fan of doing modifications that are reversible. If I thought it was a carrier issue I’d buy one and tinker with it and leave the original alone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.