Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the middle of loading 500 .45 colt loads for my BH and CB. I'm thinking about doing some up for my son to hunt with in Indiana in his Marlin CBC but wanted to know if anyone here hunts whitetail deer with them and if you do, what kind of success did you experience? I have the 250gr RNFP .452 bullets for this run of reloads.

I would like to hear about some hunting experiences with Oregon Trail's Laser-Cast ... doesn't really have to be .45 colt.

bjm

·
Registered
297 Posts
bjm, I use the Laser Cast 405gr,459dia. in both of my Trapdoor Springfields on deer and small critters. They are very accurate and punch a mean hole. Have taken woodchucks offhand at 150+ yards using this bullet.

riflerick

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there BJM -- I took out a herd of milk jugs with the 350 grain Laser-Cast bullet in my Sharps. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBLdtFes8eE&feature=BFa&list=ULjeAbvJy0o00&index=22 I wouldn't worry to much about shooting a whitetail with your 45 Colt loads. As always, bullet placement is the key!! I've been thinking about reloading that 350 grain bullet and seeing if I could kill another herd of milk jugs with the same bullet. Hope this helps to some degree or another. Best regards. Wind

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was pretty sure the Laser-Cast would be a good whitetail bullet but just wanted some input. I'll push these 250gr bullets to about 1100-1200 fps so it should work well under 100 yards like he hunts. I might order some Beartooth bullets too and load some of them up the same.

Thanks guys ...

bjm

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Hey BJM! Glad to hear you are up and about, getting back to some sense of normality...hunting! My only concern of any RN flat point cast is the small meplate. Now, I have never shot a whitetail with a cast anything, rifle or pistol, so consider the source,ha. I am a sucker for big meplates and BT are exquistely made.
Listen dude, I shoot Leadhead's 270Keith .452 out of my Freedom Arms '97 45 Colt. If you like, since we live close to each other, I'll give you a handful to try, I've got plenty! I can't get out today, but maybe later we can meet somewhere for coffee, swap lies, I mean, truths, and you can try a great bullet! I use the controversial "BlueDot" ( which I have never, ever had a problem with) for 1050fps. It's the only load I carry in the mountains.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I was out killing water jugs with the .431 240g RNFP and the .459 350g RNFP a few years back and put a couple of each into the clay and river rock berm. They were ~9" in and had held together fine for playing rock pinball with them.

They don't expand much but they do hold together well. Here's a .459 350g RNFP I "hammer tested" with a 3lb. hammer on a concrete floor to see if it would fragment or smoosh. It smooshed without fragmenting.

I've only shot one pig with the .431 240g RNFP, can't tell you anything about the bullet except it held together and went all the way through.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Have only shot 1 hog with my BlackHawk .45 colt with 255 gr. Carroll lead bullets at 1050 fps over Unique.
Bullet hit the hog in the short ribs on the left side angled foward and came out his right ear--DRT !

Hip

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That sounds great. I am pretty booked until next Wednesday with appointments but maybe in a week or two? I've never met a fellow member in person ... sounds great to me.

bjm

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Just give me a PM when you are ready, and we'll light this candle! I have to warn you though...these Leadhead 270's will spoil you for anything else in a 45 Colt! ha.

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Hey Doug, just got back from an early range trip this morning. I loaded some 45 Colt last night and wanted to try em out before I went crazy loading more of em. Pretty happy with em.

First time using Hunters Supply 250gr hard cast. I loaded them over 7.1grs of HP38. Don't have a chrony however books say 916FPS. On the slower side but using em in my Judge.

Thinking of ordering some of these for the 1894P to try out to.

Scott

1 - 10 of 10 Posts