Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother in law has asked me to reload a small qty of 38-55's with a black powder load. I only have 375 Win dies...............will they work?............I'm guessing they will, but haven't checked the sammi dims on both cals.............I'm going on the assumption the only difference is the OAL similar to 38 spl/357Mag and 40S&W/10MM........................Am I correct ???

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
My suggestion would be to contact the die mfg'r & let them tell you what kind of hangups, (for want of a better term) you might encounter. jd45

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
My Lee sizer says .375 and 38-55 both on it.

I would say yes but first thing you want to do is back off the sizer a ways as it will resize it way to small for the 38-55.

The expander may not open it up far enough either but once you get the neck flared for the bullets it should work. The seater should work, but again you have to raise it up and lower it until you get it to work. You can have up to .006 difference in bullets.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
All right, I know, I know,.........this may be bordering on the sacreligious, (grin), but go to leverguns.com's home page & scroll down to "Cartridge & Chamber Dimensions" & look up each & I think you'll find you can't use your .375 Win dies on .38-55 cases & make them fit his chamber. The dims on the 375 are .4198 at the web area (near the rim) vs .4191 on the 38. Spec on case mouth for 375 is .400 vs .3938 on 38, IF I'm readin the drawings right. Just my novice's opinion, jd45

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Swany & JD45,

Thanks for the replies and the info. A call to the die manufacturer is a good idea. I knew there were slight dimensional issues, but I though only in length.........I've heard the 375 can shoot the 38-55 rounds, but not the reverse.........So now the difference in diameters makes sense to me to preclude a 375 from being fired in a 38-55.

I'll place the call tomorrow, or when he delivers the brass...........its only 20 rounds, so maybe I can do this for him w/o too much of a headache.

Thanks Again to both of you,

Tom

·
Premium Member
18,025 Posts
Another option might be to see if his fired brass fits into the chamber easily..........if so, just decap the rounds by hand, reprime them, and only size the neck as far down as the bullet will go, to keep from overworking the whole case.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
papajohn said:
Another option might be to see if his fired brass fits into the chamber easily..........if so, just decap the rounds by hand, reprime them, and only size the neck as far down as the bullet will go, to keep from overworking the whole case.
PJ,

Exactly..........That is my plan..............he only needs 20 rounds loaded with BP, so it should be doable.
He's a collector, not a shooter. He wants BP with Lead heads, and he has the Original 20 round cartridge box.

Tom

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
He would be better off with no BP in the cases, for long term. Little extra touch is to spin the cases once loaded and polish the case and lead with some 000 steel wool. Gives the lead a turned look, wouldn't do that with BP in them though.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Tomray, you said the box is original.... did you mean that as in from the BP era, since he's a collector? And BTW, are the cases from back then, as well, which would make them balloonhead cases, if I'm not mistaken? Just curious, jd45

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jd45 said:
Tomray, you said the box is original.... did you mean that as in from the BP era, since he's a collector? And BTW, are the cases from back then, as well, which would make them balloonhead cases, if I'm not mistaken? Just curious, jd45

JD,

Dunno...............I haven't seen them yet............i'll let you know, though.........

Tom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts