Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a hunter at heart, not a paper puncher and sometimes when i'm lugging around the 882, I wish i had a lighter rifle.

Noone can argue that the 25mn is not one of the most accurate 22mags out there...

discuss??

·
Registered
363 Posts
most of the .22 lr. i own weigh more than my ssv. that plastic stock makes it lighter. i have actually thought of putting the ssv into the laminated .17vs wood stock to make it heavier and more pleasing to the eye. i like heavier rifles anyways. i have not done so only because i am afraid i may mess up the great accuracy i now have by doing so.

i like my ssv for late season squirrels and certainly would not think of getting rid of it. rifles that shoot as good as mine are not a certainty to come by.

luck

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The actual weight difference is only about a pound. I found that with my SSV the plastic stock with the heavy barrel made it seem awkward to carry. I dropped my SSV action into a 25MN laminated stock. The weight increased but the carrying qualities became better. Maybe you should fit your SSV to a 17V hardwood stock? My son has both the "as issued" SSV and the 17V. The 17V is in the wood stock and it is a well balanced hunting rifle. I have several 22 magnums and my SSV still rates tops for accuracy. I don't think I've ever wished I'd not gotten it.~Andrew

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not that i wish i didn't get the 882ssv...i just seem to remember the 25mn i had being lighter. maybe it was just that i had the bipod on it this weekend that made it cumbersome. I really need to get some time in the woods....

I think my 25mn shot as well as my 882...which is no slouch, see my post in the "most accurate 22 mag" thread. Guess i'm just an anal retentive obsessive compulsive kinda person that hasn't done the compulsive part yet in just charging a 25mn LOL

I think i'm gonna save some pennies and get a laminated stock from www.rifle-stocks.com and see how the balance is then.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I put my SSV action and barrel into an walnut M-25MN stock. I inletted the barrel channel and glass bedded the action. The balance is much better. Slightly heavier than the plastic stock but much better balanced and stable. Did the same thing to an 880SQ into a brown laminated Marlin stock. Makes the rifle much nicer to handle. I don't really care for the flimsy Marlin synthetic stock.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had a 25mn last year with the camo stock, i traded it when i got my super redhawk .44, anyway, this year i picked up a 882ssv and i love it, it is super accurate, at 25 yds (which that is what the majority of the squirrels are at) my groups are either touching each other or through the same hole, the last two shots with my 882ssv in the last two weeks have killed me a squirrel and the one shot was a 50 yard shot, it didnt seem like it at the time, but when i stepped it off it was, and the shot was properly placed right behind the front legs, and i didnt ruin any meat, it was a perfect shot, and the weight doesnt bother me, heck im used to carrying around a 336cs 30-30, and its not light, thanks

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
My 18 year old son sure doesn't! Last weekend we went to the local range and the Boy brought his 882SSV. He loves this rifle and has a Kahles 3-9 variable on top. This scope has a super fine reticle. He shot some one-holer groups at 50M and got bored so we started standing empty 8mm rifle casings up on the top of the target frame. He never missed. We put up some old .223 casings and he shot all of those. We then went to the spent 22WMR casings and he knocked all of those down. The final test was we put three spent 22WMR casings in bullet holes fired through the target. Only the heads were protruding. He took all three with 4 shots and the miss was a hairs breadth off of the exposed rim. "Marine PMI" from the old Marlin board was with us and honest to gosh, if there's a more accurate 22WMR out there we haven't seen it yet. I bought my son a 17V / 17 HMR but I can't get him too interested. (No small wonder.) ~Andrew

·
Registered
2 Posts
jay,

The ssv is a squak killin' machine. But I will tell you this... a day long hike in the woods with no sling about killed me! My ssv is bedded to a laminated stock and 4 x 12 scope. I ve never slinged it due using it to shoot paper mostly ( Im sure you ve read up on the accuracy of these buggers ). I will put a light weight sling on it for carry next time I go out.

Do I wish I bought something else? Naw. Doesn't mean that I wouldn t mine having a 25mn though. Theyre nice too!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts