Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One final sight in session before hunting.....

I tried my new Weaver B-4 exposed turret model atop the 39-A today, and no soap- there ain't enough windage correction in it to counter for the silly offset of the dovetail rail mount that I put on it. With that matter laid to rest for the time being, I popped the 400-A Marlin back on, and got pleasing results with it again. Being somewhat concerned over the amount of time spent shooting from rest, I stood up on my heels, and shot like a man :p

Off hand, I was consistently clobbering 2 inch square pine blocks at 75 yds. Wish I could tell you that I shot like that from the start, but I had to warm up at 25 and 50, to get that envelope of certainity going that I enjoy so much while hunting....

Had the old Weaver G-4 atop the 52 repro, and did quite a bit of shooting with it. Hogger take note- There was no difference in group size at 25 and 50 yds with the old Weaver, than with my latest tech-wonder 5-15X 40 mm A/O... the bigger fancier scope don't outdo the Weaver until 75 and 100 yds! And not by a whole heckuva lot either- measurable difference is 1/4" at 75, and 1/2-3/4" at 100. That antique glass is much better performance wise than I had expected!

I also gave the 94-22-M a workout- it was feelin neglected. I better start wearin plugs to shoot that one- it's louder 'n I recall. Maybe the CCI maxi-mag is hotter than the Fed FMJ's I'm accustomed to.

All in all, a great day! There were two Sharptails sittin on the road into the gravel pit, and me with no licence! :shock: Was great seein them though!

And I caught enough Walleye on the way home for a good feed Saturday night! :D :D :D

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Man! What a great day! Shooting and catching walleye! Not a much finer eating fish than walleye!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been known to take a ruffy or 2 with a walleye on the line, more than a couple of times! Probly get the opportunity again Friday....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

1 - 4 of 4 Posts