Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My only brother has accused me of buying some of my rifles just because no one in these parts has heard of one much less seen one. I don't find my choices to be off the wall but a lot of people at the range want to know ,"what is that thing, a 30/30?" The lever I have had the longest and hunted with the most is a rather plain jane 1977 336C in 35 Remington. My brother now respects it for when it goes bang meat is normally on the ground. I now love to pull a 38/55 or even better a 375 win out of a pocket. Since our "primitive" season now allows single shot rifles with exposed hammers the 45/70 is better known.Most don't have a clue when you pull out a 218 Bee or a 32/20. Adding another 308mx will confuse even more! I tell folks I just love the leveraction and it doesn't take a 7mm Mag to kill a deer at 75 yards...some seem surprised. I love my levers and the way they work for me.
Do you ever get any strange looks at the range or around the camp?
Goat

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Yep till they see you shoot them.. ;D

My buddies 308me is a shooter barr none.. it will make a custom rifle cry ;D

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
When I bring out my 35 rem. everybody looks at it and says oh a model 94 30/30. I say no it's a Marlin in 35 rem. and it's like I'm talking russian. They think every lever gun is a Winchester and the only caliber is 30/30. God help the uneducated

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
biggog said:
When I bring out my 35 rem. everybody looks at it and says oh a model 94 30/30. I say no it's a Marlin in 35 rem. and it's like I'm talking russian. They think every lever gun is a Winchester and the only caliber is 30/30. God help the uneducated
Yup... ;D ;D

·
Super Moderator
13,303 Posts
biggog said:
Seen this too many times. ;D

I don't shoot levers to be different, just shoot them because they are fun to shoot and I shoot them well.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Hello,

I do not shoot lever action rifles to be different. I shoot them because I love that type of firearm for many reasons including how that rifle performs for me. It hits what I am aiming at even though I do not hunt. :) The Marlin Golden 39A and Marlin 336C rifles do not fail me or have any problems. (That goes for my late husband's former one Marlin rifle and MM's Marlin rifles.)

I like lever action rifles and single shot rifles more than any other type of rifle.

Take care.

Catherine

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
I like bringing out my big boomer 444's when everyone else is shooting their little 223 "black guns". ;D

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Well..... kinda.

But not just lever actions. I like and am drawn to rifles in general that are just a little "off" from the norm. For example, I've got a Husqvarna 9.3x57, a custom 09 Argentine 7 mm mag with full octagon barrel and get this.... a vent rib that is all milled from an oversize barrel blank. Had it several years now and STILL can't decide if I like the looks or not but it certainly is different. The clincher for me is craftsmanship more than anything else. If a rifle is a bit obscure but the workmanship is truly apparent, I'll probably want it. I just recently missed out on a custom Mauser in 257 Roberts with a VERY well done full length Manlicher stock that was priced at only $375 and I'm still kicking myself.

In lever guns, I've got an 1895 in 45-70, a 336 in 35 Remington and I have a Cowboy Carbine LTD in 32-20 on layaway (only 501 made so I guess that makes it a little "off the wall".) that I should be picking up in about two days. I don't even own a 30-30 but I want one. Preferably a 1950's vintage waffletop (undrilled or factory drilled) 336A or SC with a vintage Lyman or Williams peep.

Just saw one at the gun shop today though that caught my eye. It's a 336DL 30-30 with wood like a Weatherby shotgun.... Hmmmmmmmmm........

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Whenever I go to the range all of my Marlins go with me. Don't get excited, I don't have that many! But when I lay them out it always draws a crowd. Are those thuty-thuty's? I walk them through them if they are really interested and now that I've added the 450 it will be more discussion I'm sure. When the 336D 35 remmy shows up it will be even more fun. They're all Guide Guns, Outfitters or Trappers in 16 & 1/4" OR 18 & 1/2" barrels.

I enjoy the discussion and it's just plain fun cause most of em are shooting 223 anymore. So next time I go I'll have the 1894P in 44mag, 444P in 444, 1895G in 45/70 and the 1895M in 450, no thuty -thuty. Nothing against it but they don't make a ported model! ;D

To the OP's question, yes I do. I like being different than the rest of the herd, mine are all ported models which takes it to a totally different level. It's just fun having the choices to carry either at the range or in the field.

All that and I don't have near the collection that most members here have. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy and excited with what I do have and love every minute of handling/shooting/discussing them!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Dave Bulla said:
Well..... kinda.

But not just lever actions. I like and am drawn to rifles in general that are just a little "off" from the norm. For example, I've got a Husqvarna 9.3x57, a custom 09 Argentine 7 mm mag with full octagon barrel and get this.... a vent rib that is all milled from an oversize barrel blank.
I wanna see this^^^

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
I only have one 30-30, but yes, those people who see the guns for the first time assume they are all 30-30's.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Flashover, didn't want to hijack the thread so I sent you a pm with two pic's of the 7mm.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks Dave

·
Banned
430 Posts
I shoots the 35 LTD and the usual is "dang that's nice" ;D

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
I shoot them because I love them I am the only one in my hunting club that hunts with them out of 70 members all the other guys in the club they have to have the latest and greatest half of them use 7 mags the rest use different cal. 270,and 30-06 and then here I come with my 308mx,444,or 30-30 and bringing just as many deer to the skinning rack as they are!!!

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
Every deer season I use a different caliber Marlin to take a deer.I like the old calibers and I think its challenging to take a deer with them.Of course I still like answering a curious shooter with "no its not a 30-30,its a 25-36,or a 32-40" and watching the look on his face. ;D

·
Premium Member
5,090 Posts
1895Gunner, until you get you a .30/30 you and me ain't aspeaking. ;D

They ain't nothing like pulling out the .444 and they say got you a terdy-terdy? I say yep and then make a sonic boom. 8) WOOOOOOOOOM .DT

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
.DIRTY-.THIRTY said:
1895Gunner, until you get you a .30/30 you and me ain't aspeaking. ;D

They ain't nothing like pulling out the .444 and they say got you a terdy-terdy? I say yep and then make a sonic boom. 8) WOOOOOOOOOM .DT
Funny, aint saying it won't happen, just looking for a new ported model. ;D

1 - 20 of 73 Posts