Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own 6 LB7's at present, BL mentioned that they were getting hard to find. Three I'll use or sell, three will stay new, one is last production run, one has white micarta scales, and one has a drop point and birds-eye maple scales.

·
Banned
2,406 Posts
Carried a Scrade Uncle Henry Old timer for many years,thru Buck ,Gerber,Parker out have broken one and they replaced it and then I always have a Leatherman mostly the Wave but still use the Super.

G

·
I have three Old Timer folders and a hunting knife of fairly new manufacture. Maybe 4 years old. Had a sharpe finger and the little drop point hunting knife they made for awhile, but I gave them to someone.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I have 2 Schrade Outfitters (I think that's the name) with big green rubber handles, and a stainless drop point blade. I really like the design, and have used them to skin deer and bear. These seem easy to get a good edge on. I also have a Sharpfinger that I can't figure out how to sharpen for the life of me. The steel seems to dislike a good edge on mine! Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I can get some of my others sharp enough to shave with. :oops: (I don't like the Schrade pocket knives as much, just a preference thing).

G

·
I've used schrades most of my life. I carry an oldtimer, have a sharpfinger, and a 70T lockback. They are durable knives. Take a good edge, and hold it. All of mine are from before they shut down, not the new ones. The lockback has been sharpened and never used. POWDERMAN. :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Hello Riflemen-It's my first time here. A very nice addition to the forum. this place is getting to be a really good outdoor joint.

I think those LB7's are really getting scarce. I found one amazing custom one for about $150 at one of the knife shops. I almost hope it's gone when I return for it in a week or so. I do not have the money but I do not have the knife either :? These Schrade's are like a fine wine to me.

I have a couple LB7's new stuffed away for a special day sometime and have a couple that I always have around. I keep a Sharpfinger in my drift boat for cutting snagged line before it is all off the reel in heavy water that I can't hold the boat in. I also used it about 15 years ago to cut my anchor rope when the boat broke loose right above a stiff rapid. The boat pulled the anchor about 30' then it hung up again. The anchor rope goes right out the back of the boat and when that anchor caught it stood that boat straight up into a wheelee! It was a real bad deal but one I had always prepared for. That is why that Sharpfinger was laying right beside the anchor rope. It was close but I hit the rope with the knife just as the back began taking water. I still use that knife the same way and the handle is actually turning white from sunlight.
Some of you know that I am restoring a #150 Old Timer which is the Sharpfinger's big brother. It is in rough shape but has lots of life in it. More than I do I'm certain.
All BestLever's have Schrades of one sort and most have many. However, we are not an exclusive Schrade family. We have our Bucks, Case, and other knives to. I do have some LB7's and a Buck folder (lock) that have the brass pounded hard by rocks hitting them through the butt bone. Life is good, BestLever

·
Registered
834 Posts
I own a sharpfinger and it is my all-time favorite general purpose knife. I was truely sad to see Shrade go under. I allways felt they gave the best value for your money.

Larry

·
Registered
18 Posts
I picked up a couple of the new ones from Taylor Cutlery and they seem to be identical to the old ones. I got the 194OT single blade lockblade and the 153 UH "golden spike" and both seem to be well made, The one thing I don't like is the cheap flimsy sheaths, I would really like to see the old style heavy leather sheathes, but I doubt that will happen. I also still have the 171UH that I got 30 years ago because of the "guarantee against loss", funny thing, I've never lost this one.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Schrade

I've currently got 2.

Picked up one of the last american made Schrades on close-out almost a year ago. Bought it with no warranty or return. Not many have heard of this knife- not sure of production numbers. It's an XT7B. It's a folder, with a 5" black powder coated blade. Lock up is by liner-lock which takes a bit of getting used to. Gutted and skinned a rather largish doe with it last fall, and it's still razor sharp. I'll look for pix and see if I can get one up here. I'm slightly befuddled by the kraton rubber grips on it- can't figger how to get the doe-fat off it, and it's starting to smell. Hot dishwater won't do it.... I cut the gaudy red X-Timer label off of the sheath- talk about ugly. I'll see if I can get a decent leather sheath for it- the plastic-lined basket weave nylon rattles on my belt. The Schrade is the Kraton gripped folder at right...

The other is a dinky little taylor-schrade that carries daily. Another liner-lock with a 3 1/8" bead blasted stainless blade. Picked it up late Nov. last year, and it sees daily use- from cutting tape to stripping wire and shaving wood, and god knows what else. I have yet to sharpen it. It's just starting to snag on electrical tape now, so it'll be soon. It came with a belt clip that I removed right away- a blade that small belongs in the pocket!
Only number I can find on it is SO316.... Hate to say it, but this little knife stands up just as well as my earlier USA Old Timers....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

G

·
I am new to collecting and buying knives. For years I have carried a no-name Barlow and a Browning large stockman, which I bought when I was much younger. However, as of late I have started putting together a collection of Schrade knives, usually buying two of each, one for the shelf and one to carry. I have stayed away from the Taylor Brand Schrades which are Made in China. To me, they are Schrade in name only, kinda like a new Schwinn bicycle. Plus, I refuse to buy Made in China products, that is why I don't shop at Wal Mart.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I have several and live about 5 miles from the plant .One of them I keep safely on the bottom of my pond with a nice Buck 110 where I know they are safe.Always thought they were great knives.Don't have any new ones.Shootrj2003

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Schrade is now made soley in Red China. F U C K that. I do not support communism in any way shape or form, I don't care how 'capitalistic' they are becoming or seem to becoming, they are still commies.

I do have an older schrade Duck Unlimited edition that I carry in my pocket 99% of the time. Not my absolute favorits knife (I lost that one) but it's quitre handy and has served me well for $30 IIRC.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have the sharp finger, which is put away a 150T and a small pen knife I found some years ago and reserectored(sp) it . It has ulster USA on the blade and no other markings. It holds a good edge and is my general perpose pocket knife.

Gun Runner

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Schrade and Winchester, both 100 year companies here in the US both belly up in the same dang year :? I think there is a heck of a story behind each one's death. BL

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Bought my Old Timer in 72' after watching my uncle castrate calves all day wih a rusty Barlow. Bought it in town with my first days wages and learned how to do it quickly the next day. Too much empathy I guess. Still carry it daily. dmen

G

·
DMEN. That reminds me of when my uncle and I helped his neighbor castrate several bulls. The neighbor had a vet come to do the cutting. He forgot a razor, or a scalpel. The neighbors wife went in the kitchen and gave the vet her paring knife. I still remember him sawing away on those bulls jewels while we did our best to hold onto the roped bull, rope was wrapped several times around a big post. One bull put us all out of the barn, we got him later. POWDERMAN. :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
89 Posts

Golden Spike is my favorite big game knife of all. Mine is about 5 years old and will last long after I've gone.

I bought a new PH1 fixed blade from the WW Taylor outfit. Nothing wrong with it.

I feel that Camillus makes a better trapper knife. The steel is less brittle and has just a little nickel for corrosion resistance.

They cost a lot more, but Queen Cutlery of Pennsylvania still builds high quality knives.
Jack

1 - 20 of 30 Posts