Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do we sometimes have "too much scope" ?

My 30-30 model 336 is new to me, since rifle season in my area is a new thing this year (previously shotgun).
I tried a couple different scopes I have on hand and finally settled upon a low powered shotgun scope..power enough for a deer-sized vital area, plus quick to find target..
To me, it seems that anything over 4X would be a bit too much for a 30-30 in the hilly, eastern woodlands..

Agreed...?

·
Registered
48 Posts

I completely agree. Big honkin scopes are out of place on leverguns. If you must have a scope something smallish 9" long or shorter w/ a 20mm objective is about perfect.

·
Registered
15 Posts

My co-worker missed a deer two years ago because he had left his scope cranked up to 9x. The deer popped out of the brush about 20 yards away and just stood there. He grabbed his rifle but couldn't find the deer - all he could see were individual leaves. The deer got bored and ran away a few seconds later.

With that in mind, I put a fixed power 2.5x on my 336. The setup has proven good enough to shoot groups off the bench of less than one inch at 100 yards. Hope to find out how it works on deer this weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts

Oh, I don't know. I put a Leu 6x33 scope on my 30-30 for a pronghorn hunt in South Dakota a couple of years ago and it seemed just about perfect. :wink:

I do agree with you in principle about the lower powered scopes though.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts

I agree totally. For the wooded areas of North Alabama I have used a Leupold 1-4x20 for the past 25 years. Most of the deer I have harvested have been taken on the "1" setting, very few on 4.

If my eyes were a little younger I would use no scope at all but alas age changes things.

SS

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Jayhawker;
I can see a 6X for the open Dakota country..but here in the wooded Allegheny mts....I'm sure you can visualize the difference..LOL

·
Registered
25,048 Posts

I have a 3x9 since we have the antler restriction, just so I can count them at over 100yds if needed.. but I am sure to always put it back to 3 or 4 when done looking.. just like the cs saftey.. need to keep you wits about you when hunting..

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

That's a good point GJ...here they only have to have points..even spikes.

..Right now, I hoping someone doesn't say.." I like the higher power, so I can 'check out' other hunters and see what they are up to "....LOL

Is that a death wish, or what ?

·
Registered
594 Posts

I like a 2 X 7 compact. 7 power for developing loads and such. 2x - 4x for hunting. I just recently picked up an old Redfield low profile 2x7 compact. It looks like it was made for a levergun.

Otherwise, I like 4X's or Peep sights

·
Registered
463 Posts

I agree, most scopes are too big for hunting. I've got a Sportster 22rf, I've been looking for a scope for 3 years, one that doesn't make it look like a "scope with a rifle mounted on it"! I best I've come up with is a
2 1/2X shot gun scope from Tasco. Even the Red Dot sights look out of place. Unfortunately, my eyes won't let me use the open sights anymore, when you can't see the front sight, you can't hit anything :cry:
That 2 1/2X scope looked good on my 1894. :wink:

·
Registered
2,325 Posts

Ironglow –

The subject of scopes will often get people stirred up. Some people think scopes are completely out of place on a levergun, others think anything but the smallest scopes are out of place, others mount larger, higher-powered scopes and are quite happy.

I started wearing glasses a couple years before I was a teenager and now at 54 my eyes just don’t care for iron sights much. Even though I often shoot my leverguns at the range using the iron sights, when I go hunting they are wearing glass. The scopes on all my Marlins are in Warne Quick Detach ‘Maxima’ rings so switching from glass to iron and back is trivial.

Here are the results of my attempts as scoping the leverguns:

Bushnell Sportview 3x9
This was the first scope I used. After riding the 7mm Mag for 20 years I used it on a Marlin 375 (.375 Win) I picked up used as my first Marlin. It worked OK but was too big and bulky for my tastes.

Leupold M8 4x
I have acquired two of these used. One now sits on the Marlin 375, the other on the 336. Although these scopes provide excellent eye relief, that is also their downfall for Marlins. These scope are rather long and skinny. The problem I have is that the Length OF Pull on the Marlins is too short for these scopes – by the time I get my eyeball where it should be, my head is way back on the stock in an awkward position. My plan is to pick up a slip-on recoil pad to increase the LOP which should alleviate the problem.

Leupold VX-II 2-7x33
This scope and its sibling VX-I are, IMHO, just about the ideal scopes for Marlins, especially the heavy recoiling Big Bores. Compact, fairly skinny, and LOTS of eye relief – about 4.9” worth. I shoot my “Rhino Blaster” .45-70 loads with their 43 foot-pounds of recoil with the VX-II in place. No way I would do that with a scope that gives only 3” eye relief.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts

'Yote, as always you are right on. Excellent summation of what a scope should be on a lever action.

Though my favorite is in the 1-5 range, with the 6 point minimum rule so pervasive a little more magnification, i.e. 2-7, may be needed for proper identification.

SS

·
Registered
25,048 Posts

Ironglow said:
That's a good point GJ...here they only have to have points..even spikes.

..Right now, I hoping someone doesn't say.." I like the higher power, so I can 'check out' other hunters and see what they are up to "....LOL

Is that a death wish, or what ?
People pointing objects at me.. get them pointed back by instinct.. I would rather not have it scoped really but loosing site dropping binoc's and trying to refind in sites is just too much time wasted when you have to count horns... I do carry Binoc's mini 7x35's to check out people if I need to see who is trampin about..

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts

2 or 2.5X20 intermediate eye relief scope mounted forward so it has easy access to the hammer. With the weaver style mounts you can use a round file and cut notches forward far enough to clear the hammer on a 336 and never have to have a hammer extension. With the intermediate eye relief scopes I use (shotgun - blackpowder scopes) they come up natural and you don't have to buy any special mount ala scout scope. Looks are important to me and this configuration looks good on my leverguns.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

It pleases me to know that others agree with my thoughts on a lever..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts