Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this is weird. Went to the range - took my JM 2006 manufacture 94 Cowboy .45 LC, 2009 manufacture JM .357 Cowboy, CZ 452 full-stock 22LR, and my Miroku/Winchester 92. I loaded them all on the bench and put them down per usual.
When I got them back home, on my 2009 .357 cowboy there are some little chips in the wood! Ughhh
Never had a problem with the other 4 Marlins that I own, nor my Miroku/Winchester or my CZ.
What gives?

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
Shooting heavily laden with powder reloads?

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
You don't say where it chipped. And no pictures. The chipping may be related to the density of the wood, the fit of the wood to metal, or the strength of the loads. The location of the chips could give a clue.

But yes, different walnut trees will have different densities of their wood, related to how fast/slowly the tree grew. Density affects hardness and tendency to chip. And inner and outer sections of the log will also have different hardness and density.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry should've included pics
It's on the forened. No abuse, it was loaded on the exact same bench as 4 other guns, including an identical 1894 Cowboy from 2006 in 45 Colt and a Winchester and a CZ. Bench is kind of coarse carpet covered so maybe I should've put something down?
Maybe this happened before and in my old age of my early thirties I just didn't notice it. Or through transport in the case? I'm stumped.
The gouges are near my thumb there. The gouges closer to the action (like on the belly of the forearm) were there when I bought the gun from the previous guy so maybe this wood just dents/gouges easily?

Finger Wood Hand Material property Nail

·
Registered
221 Posts
Its antiqued is all. Just don't let it make you think any the less of her. Ya know, no 'handle with care'; its just the way she is.:ridinghorse:

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Looks like another gun of something was making contact with that area. Seems like it is too far back to be from a rest.

·
Super Moderator
16,950 Posts
Have a few of those myself on my 45 cb colt, the range has a rest made up of 2x4 material, v-notched and covered with carpet, still marked up the forearm enough for me to very dishearten about my new possession getting marks on it. One of these days ....I'll refinish both CBs. The only thing I can think of is maybe a nail/staple was fully down in the carpet and the stock was banging on it from the recoil.

·
Registered
856 Posts
If they’re dents you can probably raise them with a wet rag and a soldering iron. A little Balistol or Tru oil will make them go away.

However, I see you said they were gouges. But Tru Oil or Balistol will help hide them.

·
Super Moderator
11,138 Posts
I've only seen a chip break off from the heel of the butt when hit and only if the wood is extremely dry. I've glued these chips back on with bedding compound and post refinish you can't tell it was ever chipped.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.