Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping to have my new 3030 in a couple of weeks, getting quite excited, I wondered how much these micro grooves copper up? My missus has just bought a Circuit Judge 44 mag for the farm, man that thing has some copper in it!! I was cleaning my target rifles and I decided to give it a good clean as we bought it second hand. After a couple of hours I gave up and decided to attack it again another day as if you shine a torch up the barrel it looks like a copper pipe!!
Chris

·
Registered
3 Posts
Removing copper

I am hoping to have my new 3030 in a couple of weeks, getting quite excited, I wondered how much these micro grooves copper up? My missus has just bought a Circuit Judge 44 mag for the farm, man that thing has some copper in it!! I was cleaning my target rifles and I decided to give it a good clean as we bought it second hand. After a couple of hours I gave up and decided to attack it again another day as if you shine a torch up the barrel it looks like a copper pipe!!
Chris
The best product to remove copper from any barrel is "Eliminator" from Bore Tech. It is safe, fast and more importantly.....it works. Try it, you will thank me.

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I already use it, it is about the best there is IMO, my only grip is it is a bit on the thin side. With all my other center fire rifles I 'run the barrels in' ie one shot then clean for a few shots, then two shots and clean and I stop normally after 10-20 rounds when the barrel no longer coppers up. I am hoping the Marlin barrels will be easy to run in as I hate running barrels in. I will say though as the gun shop I looked down the barrel with some white paper in the breech in the sun and the barrel looked nice. My missus got a Savage .223 a few years ago which is actually a seriously accurate rifle but the best way to describe the barrel is 'savage'. When I run that it it took me ages.
Chris

·
Registered
81 Posts
Chris
You can try JB Bore Cleaning Compound, does a great job.

Reactions: M700

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
The 30 30 sports fairly slow ballistics, so copper fouling shouldn't be too bad, depending on bullet composition. Any de coppering agent should do the job. You may have to use a foaming compound and allow to sit for a while.
Congrats on the acquisition.
What are the hoops you had to jump through to gain ownership of your new rifle?
Ss

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
When I bought my .44 used in 1989 it had less than 200 round down it, but was badly copper fouled. It took a couple of days swabbing with Sweets 7.62 solvent to get it all shiny again.

Mark.

Reactions: M700

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 30 30 sports fairly slow ballistics, so copper fouling shouldn't be too bad, depending on bullet composition. Any de coppering agent should do the job. You may have to use a foaming compound and allow to sit for a while.
Congrats on the acquisition.
What are the hoops you had to jump through to gain ownership of your new rifle?
Ss
Thanks,
No hoops really as I already have a lot of guns and I live on over 600 acres so it will be for primary production, I normally get my PTA's back in less than 2 weeks fingers crossed this is just as quick.
Chris

·
Registered
557 Posts
Like side spin posted, 3030's nothing like a 243 or 22250 for copper fouling. I put around 50 rnds through mine for a match and it ain't to bad to clean, I have more issues with carbon than copper.
Since switching to cast bullets I had issues with leading in the micro groove barrel when trying to go to fast (this is a real ---- to get out) but an easy fix was just to slow down a bit. Now my 336 is a breeze to clean after a day at the range

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Cant tell ya if they copper up, only use cast lead boolits in mine

1 - 12 of 12 Posts