Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sounds like a good price but it ain't no Marlin and I'm not sure I want it in the mix. It's not a pre 64 but the price does sound good.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Bought a new one back around 74 Desparodo. Cost back then was $100 I believe. No Marlin for sure. Nice piece of walnut but heard the receivers were so called "pot metal" with a finish that could wear off. Lever felt different than a pre 64. I did not have it long enough to have any problems as I traded for a Model 70 of the same vintage. This 70 was not a bad gun if you could live with the lousy trigger and so-so bluing. Yeah the $250 price seems fair if the gun is in overall good shape. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guy's. Think I'll pass if the guy calls back. It doesn't seem to be that great a deal and I'd hate to miss out on a Marlin cause I spent this money on the winny.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I dunno. $250 seems to be a good price, assuming the rifle is in good+ to excellent condition. Duxnbucks may have a good idea in using it for trading material.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Wish I would have kept mine longer as to give the OP better advice. If it would have been a pre-64 I am sure the asking price would be considerably higher but they were solid. The Savage 99 was another well enginered gun.

·
Super Moderator
25,170 Posts
NO!

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
As has been Posted, it depends on what you are going to do with it and what kind of condition its in right now. If its in very good or better condition, you can always use it as a RANGE GUN. I believe that is better than target practice with a 22 anything. I saw a Post 63 30-30 in a LGS in excellent condition and he wanted $425.00 for it. I understand that as time when on, Winchester did a better job of getting the receive to hold up better than the rifles made in 1964. I don't know all the particulars.

Being an owner of Pre 64 30-30 Model 94's, when I cycle the action on a Post 64, its certainly not the same rifle by any stretch. However for that price, it can still serve a purpose.

Mike T.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
if in very good shape, it is well worth the $250 asking price.

·
Registered
585 Posts
A co-worker offered me one two years ago. I waffled, and another guy in a different office took it. I've regretted it ever since. Would have been the perfect trunk/truck gun if nothing else.

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Good deal unless there is something wrong. You will not loose $$ on the deal.

·
Registered
7,307 Posts
If it has nice metal and nice wood and if I could use another, Yes, I would buy it at that price.

Bill

·
Banned
2,263 Posts
Somebody once said...you can take apart and clean, re-assemble a Marlin in about 30 minutes...and you can take apart a Winchester and clean it in about 30 minutes...and then take it to a Gunsmith to get it back together... :dontknow:

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Somebody once said...you can take apart and clean, re-assemble a Marlin in about 30 minutes...and you can take apart a Winchester and clean it in about 30 minutes...and then take it to a Gunsmith to get it back together... :dontknow:
:biggrin: An that's a fact. I have watched Youtube videos on taking apart a Model 94 and reassembly, but I don't know that I will venture into that game just yet. That requires Patience and Skill.

Hmm..........Hospitals have lots of PATIENTS and I have NO SKILL.

Cheers!

Mike T.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts