Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Topic pretty much says it all. Its just set screws that hold the hammer extension on correct? And I dont want to file a groove in my hammer for the set screws to sit in, anyone just put one on and just snug them onto the hammer without filing?

Got the new scope on my 30/30, ended up buying a Nikon. Got it sited in at 60 yards. Shoots 2" high, figured with the cheap federals I shoot it should be about right on at 100yards.

Dano

·
Registered
227 Posts
Geetergod said:
Topic pretty much says it all. Its just set screws that hold the hammer extension on correct? And I dont want to file a groove in my hammer for the set screws to sit in, anyone just put one on and just snug them onto the hammer without filing?
Yep. Plus a dab of locktight.

·
Banned
2,593 Posts
My 336's have always had a slight Indentation for the set screw to sit in. My Handi rifles needed a few strokes with the file which is very easy to do and worth every penny safety wise.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like i'll purchase one then, kinda tight to let the hammer down with the scope on. And probably not real safe without having a safe on it. Especially in cold and snow.

Dano

·
Registered
415 Posts
One issue that never seems to be addressed in the hammer extension discussions is that the extra weight of the extension slows the hammer fall. Though it might seem minor it makes the lock time longer, you must dwell longer on the sight picture for a good hit. Better follow-thru.
Guzziac,
Richard P.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
I have found absolutely no difference in shooting with or without a hammer spur in any of my 5 Marlins and they are all scoped. I find it hard to believe that the weight of a spur makes that much difference in the strike time. I am curious to know if others experience a problem with this.

GB45

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Regarding Lock Time, I could notice it being longer on my 39A with the hammer spur in place. :eek:

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
Geetergod said:
Sounds like i'll purchase one then, kinda tight to let the hammer down with the scope on. And probably not real safe without having a safe on it. Especially in cold and snow.

Dano
Yep, you better get one. A 12 year old girl was letting the hammer (sans extension) down on her 30-30 this past deer season, her thumb slipped and she shot off her dad's kneecap. I'd take a little bluing off the hammer over that any day.

·
Registered
308 Posts
2" high at 60yds will be about 2 1/2 inches high at 100yds.And I wouldn't bad mouth those cheap Federals too much you might find they are the most accurate factory loads in your gun.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The bolt on my 336 drags across the top of the hammer extension and scars up the soft metal it is made of. Is this normal? Hope this is not off topic, but I am curious.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Yep. I sight mine in just a tad high at 50 and that gives me about 1-1/2 to 2" at 100. I would resight yours...2" at 60 is too high...I think.

·
Registered
183 Posts
My gunsmith seemed to think hammer extensions interfered with the balance of the hammer, but I haven't noticed any issues functionally speaking. Its really a must have with a low scope.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
1.5" high at 50 yards will do the trick out to about 150 yards.

·
Registered
229 Posts
If you put a very small piece of lead in the screw hole before you tighten the set screw it will prevent the steel against steel abrasion. I use small shot like size #9. After you shoot the gun a few times check for tightness.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
i have heard that the hammer extension can be a problem on the rebounding hammer guns (TC Encore, etc), but have never once had an issue (accuracy wise or firing wise) on a marlin.

i have actually seen an encore that wouldnt fire period with a hammer extension. took it off and it fired 10 times in a row with no issue.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well i'll have to try one for myself and maybe i'll do a little write up on my experience with it. So far I cant foresee a problem with it. I see the design of the hammer extensions change after 1982, and my gun is a 1982 so hopefully I dont screw up and get the wrong one heh. Looks like something i'll have to order from the internet, doubt any stores around here will have something like that.

What are you guys paying for factory ammo? The Federals 170grn and Winchester 150grn are $14.95 here and those are the cheapest from Gander Mountain, have yet to check Wally-marts.

Dano

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
The hammer extension was changed in 1983 so order you need the PRE-1983 style extension and Midway, Brownells, Optics Planet sell them for less than $10.......

UNCLE MIKES makes a replacement for that also.

I have a blued one I am not using but it is from a POST 1983 Marlin.

GB45

1 - 19 of 19 Posts