Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
11,592 Posts
I have been looking at Taurus 357 wheel guns, they have a nice looking 8 shot SS 4" for $540.

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
A friend of mine has an older 6 shot that I've had the pleasure to shoot and reload for. It was very accurate and handled magnum loads pretty well. Don't know anything about the newer models but I never hear or read bad remarks about them. Just can't get used to the idea that revolvers are now in 7 and 8 shot configurations!

·
Registered
828 Posts
Have owned several through the years with good results on all of them. Currently have a Tracker 45 ACP with the 4" barrel. It is the ported Stainless model. Very good reliability and accuracy, on par with the Smith and Wesson Revolvers I have seen.

·
Premium Member
12,098 Posts
Never owned a Taurus, but do the new Taurus's have a key lock like the current S&W's?

Oh, my neighbor has, or has had a few of them................I think he likes them.

Tom

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have two of them. A stainless Tracker ported 41 mag with a 4 inch barrel and a stainless 4" 357 mag. They make very good woods guns. I hunted whitetail deer with the 41mag and it did very well except for the blast coming from the 4" ported barrel. I will never hunt with that revolver again. It did kill the deer and my ears.

Matt

Reactions: Marlinjunkie

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
I have a Tracker in 44mag and a 605 2" 357Mag. Both in stainless.

I've been very pleased with both of them, everything locks up tight and they're very accurate. Fit and finish is very good. They're very robust, and just feel good in the hand. The triggers are very nice to me, with a very crisp break, and pretty much no discernible creep at all in single action. Double action, is nice and smooth with no "stiff" spots in the pull... I will be buying more. (I've been eyeing the 357Mag Tracker).

I was not a big fan of the factory grips on the 605 only for the fact that they are kind of spongy, and I often pocket carry it, and it didn't go in and out easily, so I got some wood aftermarket grips for it. The factory grips are very functional for helping take the bite out of a 2" 357... For function, they're fine, just not my personal taste and didn't fit my "personal parameters" for use.

The Tracker is just plain fun. No problems or issues here. It is completely stock, right from the Mfg with no mods. And I don't have plans on changing anything on it as I see no need. It is good as it is. It has comfortable rubber grips that really help take a lot of the bite out of the recoil, so they're staying on. It fits nicely in the hand and hits what I point at.

·
Registered
7,755 Posts
I have several 2" 85s in 38 special, one of similar size in 357 mag, double action only. One 6" 44 mag in polished stainless, ported barrel. All have been trouble free. Reasonable triggers. I would not hesitate to buy another.

The 44 mag has a 2x Burris scope mounted. It took a buck for me at about 100 yards. I wouldn't have shot had I known how far it was.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one, nor carry one for defense. All are still tight after 15-20 years. I shoot them regularly, but not heavily. So far no signs of loosening in lock up nor decrease in accuracy.

I have several S&Ws in the same calibers. Other than the barrel markings, I don't notice any differences. Not having looked inside the actions, I can't say anything about the internal finish, but what I can see is similar.

The resale price will be lower on the Taurus, but so is the original price. I have not used Taurus factory service, nor can I speak to S&W. Taurus offers free repairs "for the lifetime of the firearm". The S&W warranty is limited, and technically over the course of one year, however, I understand that certain issues have been factory corrected after longer periods of time.

·
Super Moderator
26,112 Posts
I have a Taurus 2 inch Model 445 Ultra-Lite in 44 SPL. Bought it used and it shoots my hand loads very well. No complaints from me concerning the revolver--and it does have a key lock on the hammer.

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
I have been looking at Taurus .357 wheel guns, they have a nice looking 8 shot SS 4" for $540.
Why even think of such a thing? Me, being a revolver nut, it's old school S&W and Colt, and I mean with firing pin on the hammer and no key locks, transfer bars, and other crap. If you really need a revolver, I can provide a couple true classics. However, I really don't want to get rid of any. However, you have been a saint on the prayer forum for my needs. If you really need a classic revolver, I will let a couple go out of my collection but ONLY out of dire need, and I hate shipping this crap. Sorry, just trying to help out a good fellow from making a Taurus mistake.

Better PM me for your needs.

Had to add this... Mike has been a Godsend to some of my prayer requests. He is an awesome guy! I guess I feel like I owe him.

·
Banned
8,174 Posts
A close friend of mine had a Taurus 669 in 357. The cylinder would lock up. He sent it back. They said the cylinder was misaligned and they fixed it. The problem happened again and again. He had them fix it the last time, then he sold it and got Ruger GP100.

Personally, before I dropped close to 600 beans on a Taurus, I’d look into an American made Ruger SP101. The S&W 686 ain’t bad either, I got one. Love it, but hate the internal lock. However, once you disable the lock, it’s a fine weapon. I would never own a Taurus.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I have been looking at Taurus .357 wheel guns,...
Taurus 66 .357 Magnum here. Carry it in the woods a lot. Great shooting piece.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I owned two of the M85, .38, 2" models. They went bang when you pulled the gritty triggers, and were fairly accurate. I sold them, and bought a S&W. I have never looked back. While I cannot give you any reasons for you not to own a Taurus, I would tell you buy an older S&W. Of this I am sure, you will be very glad you bought a S&W. Just my opinion, and what do I know?

·
Super Moderator
16,651 Posts
I have eleven Taurus® revolvers.............
• Mdl 85B2CH 38 Special - 1994
• Mdl 669SS4CP 357 Magnum - 1996
• Mdl 85B2 38 Special - 1997
• Mdl 617SS2 357 Magnum - 2003
• Mdl 605SS3 357 Magnum - 2006
• Mdl 85SS2UL 38 Special - 2007
• Mdl 605SS2 357 Magnum - 2010
• Mdl 605SS2 357 Magnum - 2012
• Mdl 425SS2 41 Magnum - 2012
• Mdl 85SS2UL 38 Special - 2012
• Mdl 992B4 22LR/22Magnum - 2013

All have performed superbly and I continue to shoot them all almost every week.

I have only encountered these problems.........
• Mdl 85B2CH broke a firing pin (part# 19) after 11,000+ rounds. I replaced the firing pin & it's still going strong.
• Mdl 85SS2UL had the cylinder stop (part# 44) wear down after 10,000 rounds. Called Taurus® and they shipped the part right away. Installed new cylinder stop and now the gun works fine.

Anytime I had to send a gun in they fixed and returned it when they said they would. Specifically.....................
• Mdl 617 developed excessive cylinder to forcing cone gap (.011") after almost 6,000 rounds. I sent it to Taurus® and they replaced the cylinder (part# 8) and adjusted the yoke (part# 9) *I've since put 3,000+ rounds through it and it's still going strong.
• Mdl 605SS2 Locked up after 5,500+ rounds. Sent the gun in and Taurus said the problem was not repairable. Taurus®, in turn, sent me a new gun.

I will not hesitate to buy additional Taurus® revolvers.
They are an outstanding value.
Taurus Gun Forum - TaurusArmed.net/Taurus Firearms

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.