Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have read all of the recommendations for using the Lyman M die when loading cast bullets. Low and behold after I get my order from Beartooth Bullets I find out Lyman has discontinued the M die for 444. I've checked every reloading and online shop to try and find one still out there but they all say discontinued. So.....what are my other options? I have bullets cast to .432 for my 444P.

Thanks

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I see how the Lee Universal Expanding Die would flare the case mouth but I don't think that is what the Lyman M die achieved. I believe (and again I never used one) the M die expanded uniformly deeper than just the case mouth. Again the difference being the Lee uses a steep taper vs the Lyman was more of a plug. So perhaps I need one of the NOE plugs in place of the tapered one from LEE?
Again just guessing out loud and looking for input from others with more experience.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
So I see how the Lee Universal Expanding Die would flare the case mouth but I don't think that is what the Lyman M die achieved. I believe (and again I never used one) the M die expanded uniformly deeper than just the case mouth. Again the difference being the Lee uses a steep taper vs the Lyman was more of a plug. So perhaps I need one of the NOE plugs in place of the tapered one from LEE?
Again just guessing out loud and looking for input from others with more experience.
I use the Lee die with the NOE plug. Gives same flare as an M die. Then just have to buy plugs for any caliber you want. Much cheaper and gives great result

·
Registered
817 Posts
444 is not bottlenecked.
M die expanded uniformly deeper than just the case mouth
You use the standard expander (both bottle & straightwall)/followed by the (Lee) mouth flare just enough not to shave the base when seating-- IF NECESSARY.

Personally I'm having a hard time understanding the OP problem.
All of my straightwall pistol/rifle dies have a stepped expander for mouth flare.

Am I missing something ?

·
Super Moderator
11,675 Posts
You are correct. Problem is Lyman refused to make anything other than "stock" diameter of .429 which is useless for oversized cast.
Good to know NOE sells plugs - I bought a custom one from a guy on Castboolits.com that made them.

Reactions: rob42049

·
Super Moderator
11,675 Posts
You use the standard expander (both bottle & straightwall)/followed by the (Lee) mouth flare just enough not to shave the base when seating-- IF NECESSARY.

Personally I'm having a hard time understanding the OP problem.
All of my straightwall pistol/rifle dies have a stepped expander for mouth flare.

Am I missing something ?
Yes - mouth flare doesn't address the issue that most cast is oversized to about .432. When you seat the bullet it is squeezed or shaved too small.

Reactions: 45marlin70

·
Super Moderator
24,791 Posts
Reactions: 45marlin70

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok so thanks for all of the replies. I sent an email to NOE Bullet Molds and this is the reply I got regarding their custom expander plugs.

Based on this I will be buying a Lee Universal Expanding Die but instead of the tapered expanders from Lee I will order a NOE Expander Plug sized .434 x .430 and use that for my .432 cast bullets.

Thanks again

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Darryl

Use one that the first number is .0015” to .0020” over your bullet size.

Bullet maker, maker / Owner
Al Nelson
NOE Bullet Moulds LLC
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

·
Registered
2,306 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Lyman just sent me a seater plug for my All American set ( 1960s ) in 444 Marlin to use with the Hornady FTX. Contact Lyman customer service to see if they can help you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts