Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to making myself a discada out of a 22" harrrow disk. When I lived in S. Texas we used to cook tripas over a mesquite fire and they were great.

I was wondering if anyone on here used a disca and had any hints/recipes. I need to weld some legs on and was also wondering what length is best for cooking over a fire.

I can't wait to fire this thing up if it ever cools down in Florida.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Have to ask a couple of questions, and please excuse the ignorance here, but what is a discada? Similar to a wok of some sort? Also, what are tripas? What critter do they come from, what cut is it or what part of the critter is it from, and how and what kind of seasoning do you use with tripas?

I have always been adventurous when it comes to food and ethnic cuisine. My Wife and In-Laws are Mexican and I have had plenty of Southwestern chow, but sometimes, different areas call the same stuff by different names.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for being vague.

A discada is a large wok type cooker made from welding up the hole in a harrow disk and adding handles. I used horse shoes for handles and my disk is 22". It seasons up like cast iron and you can fry, cook fajitas, paella, etc. You can cook over a fire or gas burner.

Tripas are beef tripe. I am pretty sure it's part of a cow stomach. We would cut the tripe up in small pieces and put them in the disca with a beer. After a while the beer would boil away and the tripas would fry in their own fay as it redered out of them. You end up with browned crunchy pieces of tripe that you eat on tortillas.

Discadas have become really popular and there is a lot of info on the internet. Go to www.southwestdisk.com and check out their stuff.

I will try to post some pics of mine when I have time.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Thanks for the info...

I have seen Mexican women cooking in what I thought was a wok - next time I will know to call it a discada. I have seem them frying blood in one - - Morcia, con cilantro y chile - - esta muy bueno - - especially with a cold Bohemia (or three). My F.I.L. introduced me to it several years ago. The morcia is pretty rich though, and shouldn't be over indulged in, unless you like crapping your brains out. :eek:

As for tripa, I am not sure I have eaten it fried like that, but I did have pork cracklins when I was down south - - should be pretty similar. Mi Suegra cooks tripe quite often, but only for Menudo, and hers is second to none.

As for Coalsmokes avatar, snake broiled over an open fire will make a turd if you are hungry, but the best way to have it is smoked. Take fresh snake filets, soak them in a heavy brine for a couple of hours (chilled), then a fresh water rinse and one-hour soak (chilled), then season with white pepper, garlic salt, a touch of ground cominos, in a teriyaki marinade for at least a day (chilled). Then smoke them to the desired texture - - it is almost a delicacy - - on par with roasted dog.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
DWB said:
...on par with roasted dog.
We have a Mcdonalds in a Vietnamese section of town that serves a "Quarter Poodle with Cheese". That must be close.

Chi sự thiếu danh từ với đó? *

Roe

*Unh...you want fries with that?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fried snake is good. We used to soak in buttermilk overnight then batter and fry. I stopped killing them years ago though.

Southern cracklins are more like what you would chicharones, but both are similar to the deep fried tripas. Small bits of fat and meat deep fried. Talk about problems from over indulging.

I never had blood cooked in a disca but have had blood sausage. Sounds interesting.

I like where this thread is going! I love exotic eating!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Barenjager said:
We have a Mcdonalds in a Vietnamese section of town that serves a "Quarter Poodle with Cheese". That must be close.

Roe

Where the heck do you live? ;D Not planning to vacation there. I have never eaten dog, but have tried coyote and fox. The coyote wasn't too bad, but the fox tasted like it smells. Yuck.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Barenjager said:

Roe

The real question should be, "Do I need fries with that?" Just had blood work done yesterday, I suppose the Doc will be telling me to lose weight, eat right to reduce the cholesterol, and at all costs, avoid fried foods... ::) My appointement with him isn't til Friday, so I imagine I can eat anything I want until then. ;D

Don't care for poodles (at least, not the S.I.L.'s poodle - that thing pees on everything) when they're alive, much less cooked, I reckon. The secret to good dog roast is to make sure that the drippings don't cook into the meat - - cook slow over low heat and brush frequently with your favorite sauce.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm. So dog drippings aren't good. Who would've guessed that? :-X

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
have had bbq'd '****. slow cooked for a long time in a crock pot with bbq sauce. wasn't bad, but damn greasy!

Always wondered about snake...

And had horse meat once too. Not bad at all. Good grain fed barnyard pigeons are very good also! Not the urban nasty bridge dwellers, but the farm ones that eat like wild pheasants.

Cook a lot with a wok. The discada sounds very interesting! My next foray into different cooking will be a Tangine. Morrocan...

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oscarflytyer said:
have had bbq'd '****. slow cooked for a long time in a crock pot with bbq sauce. wasn't bad, but damn greasy!

Always wondered about snake...

And had horse meat once too. Not bad at all. Good grain fed barnyard pigeons are very good also! Not the urban nasty bridge dwellers, but the farm ones that eat like wild pheasants.

Cook a lot with a wok. The discada sounds very interesting! My next foray into different cooking will be a Tangine. Morrocan...
**** is pretty greasy. We always boiled it first and then put it on the grill with BBQ sauce. It dries it out nicely.
Never heard of a tangine, I'll have to look it up. Always interested in new ways to cook.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Crap - spelled it wrong... try Tagine. North African/Moroccan cooking. Like an old world clay crock pot. Could probably do the same thing in a crock pot, but what fun would THAT be! Also look up the preserved lemons. I want to do that also. Sounds cool!

And as for the bbq'd '****... Boiling would probably be much better, followed by actually grilling it for bbq. Cook the grease slick out of it.

An aside... I LOVE King Mackeral steaks - as long as they are done on a grill. They are a very oily fish. But done on a good mesquite grill - omg they are good!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a Mexican clay cooking pot (think it's called an olla) that I love. Best beans ever! I wonder if it's close to the same. If so, you can buy them at the local tiendas that seem to have sprung up everywhere. I remember when the mexican food section of the grocery store was a bag of Doritos. Luckily I love mex food.

Since I don't offshore fish I don't catch king mackeral, but i do run into a spanish mackeral fairly regularly on the flats. They are pretty good on the grill. Pretty similar to kings.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Hi, I used to catch eel in the sea. When I got home I would skin the eel and cut it up and rinse it. The next day I would put in a wok onions and green peppers to saute and then add the eel to cook on the vegetables. The next step would be to add tomato sauce and a can of Arturo's Tomato sauce with wine until the eel is flakey. Put over a rice dish(spanish, fried or cajun). Enjoy the meal. I have never ea,ten snake, but I presume eel would be similar in taste. Marla

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Hi Marla, I ate snake once when in China, some years ago. I didn't like it at all. But I like eating eel a lot, specially in sushi.

About discada, try large green chili peppers stuffed with gauda chees. You take out the seed and stuff the empty cone with the chees. You put as many of them on the disc, with some vegetal cooking oil and cook until the chees is melted. Turn the chili peppers every few minutes. Very good as appetizer.

Cheers

·
Registered
251 Posts
Well, now ya'll went and did it again. You folks just informed me that I "need" another piece of cooking equipment! I just happen to live in the wheat farming country of Eastern Washington, so I may be able to come up with a disc from a defunct piece of farm equipment. If I find one, just wait till I go "home" to the wife down in Cali at the end of my work season. "What did you bring home this time. What are you gonna do with that thing?"

ANd ya'll went and made me hungry. I never tried morcia, but I almost always cook the blood from the steak package with my steaks in the cast iron fry pan. And one of my favorites is "cabeza", had a friend where I grew up in San Diego who's dad had a pit in the backyard just for cow heads. Yummy tacos. Tried some of the brains once and boy are they rich. Got lucky the other day while going thru Quincy WA and found a little tacoshop/restaurant that actually had cabeza (cheek meat it said on the menu) and lengua (tongue for those non spanish speakers).

OScar, I bet some rabbit woould taste yummy, moroccan style in that tagine, with those preserved lemons. I got lucky, I have a wife who also loves "ethnic" food and maybe our favorites might be middle eastern/mediterranean/greek/turkish. We had the dubiuos "pleasure" of living in the Fresno CA area for awhile. Lots of good Armenian food (Bedrosians cafe on Ashlan, yum).

Eaten my share of rattlesnake also. Don't like to kill em except when they're in the yard near the wife and dogs, those get eaten as I don't like to waste good food.

Kaweskar, those peppers sound almost like the "chile rellenos" we had in California except yours aren't battered. Bet they are delicious anyway. Thanks for the idea.

Boy, I got a bit long winded there thinking about all those good eats.
Have fun all. I'm gonna go home at 8 AM and have some turkey eggs a co worker gave me free when I bought some chicken eggs from her.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I catch eels occasionally in the river behind my house. I haven't eaten one yet though. They are so slimy it's a little hard to think about.

Hey Barefoot: get a disc right off the harrow and it will save you a lot of cleaning. The one laying around rust quickly.

Hey Kaweskar: I see you are in Patagonia. Can you get a good locally made gaucho knife cheap? I have been looking for one and can't find the real thing. I would love to have what the locals carry.

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Coalsmoke said:
Hey Kaweskar: I see you are in Patagonia. Can you get a good locally made gaucho knife cheap? I have been looking for one and can't find the real thing. I would love to have what the locals carry.
Hi Coalsmoke, I live in Chilean Patagonia, so no gauchos around here; they are Argentineans, on the east side of the Andes Mountains. However, I've seen some gaucho knives in local handcrafts stores, but they ain't cheap. Let me see what I can find.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 26 Posts