Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Visiting in Billings, Montana and thought I might find a deal on a Marlin 336 something in this area. Checked on the ODT and found only 3 rifles for sale and none were Marlins. Guess this ain't Marlin country or maybe they need something more powerfull round here. Maybe if I get a chance to check out some pawn shops I'll find something...surely they have some of them.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Just got my 1895 in billings. Check out northwest pawn shop. Prices are really good there and you can haggle down 20 to 30%.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
It just might be that Montana owners don't part with their Marlins very often.........

·
Premium Member
3,280 Posts
That's the way I see it.... To get a used Marlin, someone has to give up their used Marlin.
Apparently they're giving up their Winchesters & Rossi's and keeping their Marlins.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
My husband who was born and raised in Western Montana previously had and still has more Made in CT Marlin rifles than any other BRAND of rifle. He ALWAYS owned more Marlin lever action rifles over any other brand or style. He likes lever action rifles and 'some' bolt action rifles. That goes for some of his family members too. They owned Marlin rifles and my husband GIFTED some Marlin rifles over the years too. His late Dad owned a Winchester rifle too.

He has two 30-30 rifles and one 45-70 rifle now. The only reason WHY he has less Marlins and OTHER firearms (Handguns and rifles) now is due to HIS CHOICE, his other interests in life, his downsizing in all calibers, him shooting specific calibers now, his age (60's), space, LESS calibers to reload for, LESS components to buy for his reloading (40 years!), LESS factory ammunition to buy and to his future retirement.

Many of his OLDER and younger friends own MADE IN CT Marlin rifles too.

I do not know if you will visit some other parts of MT or not but you should check out Ronan Sports and Western - Ronan, MT close to POLSON - Flathead Lake, Bob Wards in Missoula, and many other gun stores on this side of the Continental Divide too.

Many old timers are selling and gifting their collections before they die, some of them are already dead - estate sales, and some baby boomers are scaling back before and right after their retirement. Collections in Marlins and in some other brands are still going around here.

Best wishes to you.

Cate

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Should have contacted me before looking around. Screaming deals are few around here, I tend to hit most of the places around town a couple times a month to check. I also think others have hit on why there are not so many for sale, low population, (about one million total pop. in Montana), firearms are passed down to family members and others, like me, maintain their inventories at higher levels than most of the rest of the country. Many of the pawn shops seem to think their used stuff is worth as much as new, many won't deal as much as they used to, due to internet sales and prices from the online sales sites. DP

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
The pickins are slim for Marlins around here. I have seen a few beat up rimfires in the Pawn Shops, but priced as if it were a 90% rifle. They also seem to think anything with Winchester on it is a rare collector piece. I still keep looking though.

Reactions: dpe.ahoy

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
12,534 Posts
My 'GunDaddy' visited Montana years ago to visit his son. When he came back to Florida he told me you don't want to buy a used gun there! Unlike Florida, those folks USE there guns and wear them OUT. He went to a gun show and was amazed at the honest wear those folks put on their guns compared to the common test fired and put away guns often found here. Sounds like a great place to live to me! Just bring fresh walnut and blue steel with you or plan to buy new. AC

·
Premium Member
12,537 Posts
Also (and of course there are exceptions) Montana is bolt action country.

I think they must issue a Remington, Ruger or Winchester to every graduating high school kid there. The .270, 7mm Rem mag, .30-06 and .300 Win mag are very common. Flat shooting, accurate, hard-hitting cartridges in scoped, bolt action rifles are pretty much the norm, not only in Montana, but much of "the west."

When I hunt with my lever action .30-30 here in Washington, I'm the ONLY one in the group with a lever action rifle... And it gets a lot of weird (or disdainful) looks.

Guy

·
Banned
766 Posts
My 'GunDaddy' visited Montana years ago to visit his son. When he came back to Florida he told me you don't want to buy a used gun there! Unlike Florida, those folks USE there guns and wear them OUT. He went to a gun show and was amazed at the honest wear those folks put on their guns compared to the common test fired and put away guns often found here. Sounds like a great place to live to me! Just bring fresh walnut and blue steel with you or plan to buy new. AC
Lots and lots of rifles here get banged about pretty good. During hunting season, which is year round for a lot of critters, a rifle is usually found in the passenger seat, just in case a Boone'Crockett trophy appears along side the road.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
It just might be that Montana owners don't part with their Marlins very often.........
Ya think :)

I have bowhunted for elk and mule deer in MT, and shot antelope on the eastern plains. I saw many M94's and a few Marlins, more than a few were owned by grandparents and passed down. I also hunted in CO with a drop camp outfitter for over 15 years. He hunted elk and mule deer with a M94 as was the 4th generation owner.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Also (and of course there are exceptions) Montana is bolt action country.

I think they must issue a Remington, Ruger or Winchester to every graduating high school kid there. The .270, 7mm Rem mag, .30-06 and .300 Win mag are very common. Flat shooting, accurate, hard-hitting cartridges in scoped, bolt action rifles are pretty much the norm, not only in Montana, but much of "the west."

When I hunt with my lever action .30-30 here in Washington, I'm the ONLY one in the group with a lever action rifle... And it gets a lot of weird (or disdainful) looks.

Guy
Hello Guy,

MM has owned a Remington bolt action rifle in 30-06 for a long, long time. He killed MANY elk with that old rifle. He always tells me that fact! He bought it NIB from BW's many years ago. The older man that he bought it from still works there too. We know two older men from that store in town. MM uses that rifle for longer distances and especially for elk but he has used lever actions for hunting too. He does have a scope on that 30-06 rifle too.

He owns one 30-06 rifle, two 30-30 rifles and one 45-70 rifle.

He does like the 30-30, 30-06 and 45-70 calibers very much. (He did have a few other calibers in rifles in his 60 some years on earth but the three that I listed are his favorites.) He does have a bolt action rifle in .223 too. He has a scope on that rifle too.

He is not 'into' semi automatic rifles that much. He rarely bought one and even if they were tack drivers - he eventually sold the VERY FEW that he owned. He does not own any semi automatic rifles now and he is not buying any either.

He does like semi automatic pistols.

Take care.

Cate

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
I should add that many shooters in MT can wear out a rifle barrel too. MM did tell me that about two rifles that he owned a long, long time ago. He wore them out.

Many firearms in MT (And elsewhere!) have some honest wear but not ALL firearms owned by Montana shooters/hunters show 'hard use'. There is a BIG difference between SOME honest wear and WORN OUT and/or ABUSED firearms in my opinion!

A lot of MT firearms are very well cared for by their owners! It depends on the individual owner! TOOLS are meant to be used and cared for in my opinion. I speak for MM, the shooters/hunters that I personally know out here and elsewhere across this nation, the few guns that my late husband owned back east, and for myself. That goes for previously owned and presently owned firearms.

MM's guns are kept up very well, cared for and not 'banged around' or thrown/tossed into his pick up truck. Most of his rifles are walnut stock (Blued and stainless steel.) but he does own two bolt action rifles (.22 and .223) that are black composite stock.

He told me that he owned one rifle and/or shotgun a LONG time ago, before I knew him, that was so beautiful that he almost hated to take it out into the rain, snow, blizzards and ice storms!

MM bought his last and only shotgun several years ago that he could use for Alaska and elsewhere in MT without worrying about weather. It is the famous Remington 870 - Marine Magnum.

ONE thing that I do notice about some gun owners on various forums and off the internet is that some of their firearms are rarely used or lightly used. Some people collect firearms and have more safe queens than any other type of gun. Some of those firearms are only shot a TINY BIT or NEVER SHOT at all. They sit in a safe. Some guys/gals collect guns and they have a huge amount of guns in their collection. Yet, they rarely SHOOT on a regular basis even if they DO reload or buy factory ammunition. They have Glorious Collections but they rarely shoot. Sometimes they do not even have enough ammunition on hand for the guns that they do own too. And I am not talking about these 'crazy so called shortages now' either. I figure to each their own. I was never into 'safe queen' guns even though I did buy NIB guns. MM was not into them. My late husband was not into them, he owned very few guns in his life, LESS than me, but he still shot his tools/guns even though he did NOT shoot as much as I did.

Some men and women do very well IF and when they sell their 'safe queens' and they buy guns as an investment. I am not knocking them. I figure to each their own.

We were raised to take care of what you own when it comes to your tools or anything else in life. Some men/women do not take care of their houses, trucks, cars, motorcycles, tractors, lawn mowers, generators, snow blowers, household tools, yard tools, furniture, china, glassware, flatware, art work, sail boats, power boats, etc. They ABUSE what they own or let it go to HECK! I could NEVER figure out guys/gals like that. A tool is meant to be used and to be cared for and if you wear it out by using it - you can fix it or get another tool! Worn out is one thing but ABUSE of any tool including a gun is a 'whole other thing' to me.

Cate

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.