Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a new manufacture Win 94 Trails end in 25-35. Sure wish it was a 336. I love the caliber, a dandy with jacketed and of course my favorite,,cast bullets. The 94 gives OK accuracy, but that's where it ends. Function is not the best, tough to pick up cartridge, it does chamber ok after it picks up the new round, but you have to almost give it that extra bump. I've polished and played with it, it's a little better but not much. Shooting Win factory it was 2 ft low at 25 yard with factory jacketed with rear sight as high as possilbe. Cast bullets are worse, though groups with cast (RCBS 25-100 FN GC) is just fine. Ordered Winchester scope base so I do some load testing. They came without screws and two different scopes shoot 18" low at 50 yard cranked up high as they would go.
Anyone else have one of these, if so, what kind of luck have you had. Maybe I just go the one made on Friday Afternoon at quitting time.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Check with Dr A. he has one and likes it pretty well.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Mine has been an excellent shooter from the get go. No problems cycling and in particular likes the cheap Rem. 86gr. flat nose I choose for it. I put on a 3-9X Sightron 1 scope, and have been shooting it since. I scope most guns, and only used the bigger scope because of the gun being used for varmint control. I have used Speer 75gr. and Hornady 117gr. as well. All have given sub 1 inch groups. Best group is over on Beartooth's scoped postal match as a number 2 winner. Have you seen Greg Mushial's info. on the 25-35 post over there? Great data. I use REl. 10 and Benchmark for top velocity and accuracy. Lil Gun also works in small amounts for aorund 2100fps. I am a cast bullet shooter, but have not pursued them in this particular gun because of my use for it. I would tend to move towards a 100gr. bullet jackted if available. I use a Weaver ring set-up.

I prefer the 336 quite a bit more as well. Unfortunately, that isn't likely to ever happen. Are you cycling the thing like you really mean it? This is a weak point with the Winchester. No slowly working the action like I do my 336's and 1895's. I believe I have over 600 rounds through mine since March, and there was never a breaking in period.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is great news. Mine too, is a good shooter, and maybe I am just too used to my 336's and 1895 and get past these little quirks with it. I can shim the scope base fairly easily to do load testing with, and even though I have put on the lowest Marbles front sight I can change rear to the same Marbles that comes on the Marlin CB and even try a receiver sight from Lyman or Williams. The 25-35 along with the 32-40 are my favorite lever cartridges. Norman Johnson rebarreled a 336 30-30 to 32-40 from me and it's a treasure and was thinking about doing same in 25-35 or even 25-36 Marlin, but the Win 94 came along and eliminated the long wait for a re-barrel.

Thanks again, will advise of cast bullet load info once I get things cooking.

44 WCF

·
Administrator
23,793 Posts
When I put a scope on either of my CBs I have to add a .010 shim under the rear mount. Solved that problem they now sport peep sights. I did take the front mount out to the mill and removed .010 and now it works, but I still won't put it back on. I can take the same mount and base unaltered and put it on my 336RC in 35 rem not a problem no shims needed. But I too ran out of elevation on my CBs. First I thought it was the base, I checked several all the same. Deal with it you know how. Shim the back up until you have it on paper at 25yds with the scope centered. Once you get the right hgt, mic the shim and remove the same amount from the front base, assuming you have a two piece. I never liked looking at them shims even after I painted it black, I still knew it was there. If it comes to only .010 you can machine that much off the front with a piece of coarse sandpaper and a flat surface in a matter of minutes. It don't have to be perfect but can be made real close using this method and frequent measurement.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Swany, Very good info, regardless of the outcome the tinkering can be a hobby in itself and very enjoyable. The front base has a radius so I may have to live with the proverbial shim under the rear. Have a Williams Receiver sight on order. Was going to get a tang peep, I would have to alter the tang safety, but will shooting with some younger kids and I better not be altering the safety, they may go home and try it on someone's new 94.

Thanks for the help everyone, will be trying some AA5744 this weekend.

·
Registered
231 Posts
“Function is not the best, tough to pick up cartridge, it does chamber ok after it picks up the new round, but you have to almost give it that extra bump. “

This sounds like the nature of the Model 94. The linkage of the Model 94 requires the extra nudge just as the lever reaches the full extent of its travel. If you pull the lever out of the action you will see the elongated hole just ahead of the trigger guard, the lever must travel across the pin in the link to lift the lifter.

“Ordered Winchester scope base so I do some load testing. They came without screws and two different scopes shoot 18" low at 50 yard cranked up high as they would go. “

I am assuming you ordered your bases from Winchester? If these are Weaver bases you should have a #94 rear and a # 95 front base. The Weaver bases come with screws. I have encountered two Model 94 rifles that were using a # 403 front base (Big Bore Rifle) and this caused problems zeroing the rifle.

”I can shim the scope base fairly easily to do load testing with, “

If you have to shim the scope base there is a problem. Which rings are you using?

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wish now I had ordered the Weaver Bases. I am using Weaver rings. I have practiced with dummy rounds and understand the function of the 94 action a little better.
I disassembled, cleaned, buffed a few rough spots, applied friction modifier and rust prevent, dried excess, buffed again. A little smoother now, knuckles are healing. Things are looking up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts