Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a new Marlin 795 (the first new rifle I have ever purchased) and a DIP picatinny rail. From what have read on this forum I was not surprised to find the rail would not fit. I could not even get it started. Close inspection of the DOVETAIL revealed that it was not machined correctly. The left side was higher than the right side. I contacted Marlin customer service and they paid to have the rifle shipped to a contracted repair facility. Today I received the rifle back from the repair facility and the dovetail has been made to look like it has been repaired. I actually think they just filed down the left side of the dovetail, painted it, and called it good without actually measuring it. I still cannot get the picatinny rail to even start to go on.

Ok, so rather than screw around with Marlin again, what have others done to get the rail mounted on the rifle? I don't know where, but somewhere I found a picture of one the owner had taken a hammer and beat it into submission. The back end of the rail was ugly. I do not want to do that. Do you simply file off the edge of the dovetail? I am not a machinist, but I feel I could do this. Do you file the DIP rail? That looks like it would be a little harder to do.

I am trying to stay away from air rifle mounts with three or four set screws on one side used to clamp the dovetail. They look like they cause the scope to sit up high and I prefer the scope to sit as low as possible.

Thank you for your inputs.

Brickrider

·
Registered
834 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
khigh,

Thank you for your reply. The scope I want to use has a 32mm objective lens, too. Do these rings stay in place or do they tend to loosen up and move around? That is one reason I am trying to use the DIP rail, the set screws lock it in place.

Respectfully,
Brickrider

·
Registered
834 Posts
These have to bolts each AND set screws. They're basically a two piece version of a one piece mount more than they have in common with conventional rings. You can even see the set screws in the picture.

On my 7000 they barely leave room for the bikini cover

Reactions: Brickrider

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Hi, i had a little trouble mounting mine on my model 60, but nowhere near as much trouble as some people have had.

luckily my firearm had a nice, and accurate dovetail, so it started out good... BUT there are two distinct different rails, and you gotta double check you got the right one, and inside the rails i received, there was a distinct embossing on the inside telling you the correct installation orientation. don't overlook that, i did on the first one, and it gave me fits!

Once i figured it out, it went pretty smooth from there with only minor filing on the inside of the picatinny to get a nice PRESS fit..
I stress PRESS fit, because in my opinion, if you have to beat the daylights out of something to the point that you mangle it, youre doing it dead wrong! ( yep' i saw that same post you saw where the guy did that).

I started installation from the rear and pushed it forward til it started to bind, slid it off, filed a bit, re-fit, I measured, and Mic'ed things as i went...once i got it to within a half inch of done, I wet the area down with a 50/50 mix of water, and dish soap to lubricate, then I LIGHTLY tapped it to a press fit with a brass hammer and she was on.. I dont really advocate filing on the firearm for mounting an accessory part personally, I like to "work the accessory" so not to do permanent mods to the gun, its easy to file the picatinny as its just aluminum, little bit at a time, and patience and it will be on in no time..

I also like to ink down the area inside the picatinny with a blue sharpie every few passes so i can get a good visual of where things are getting tight, and i can see where i am filing.. once youre close, and ready to do final seating, you can just rinse off the sharpie with acetone, or fingernail polish remover...

After i realized my mistake(s) on the first one, the second one was on and done in about 20-30 minutes.... good luck!

marlin60-7.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. I have added them to my shopping cart on Amazon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Flatsneck,

My problem is I can't get the rail to even start onto the dovetail. If I could get it to start I would have a starting point, so to speak. I guess that is a good thing because I would be sorely tempted to take a BFH (Big Freaking Hammer) to it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Flatsneck,

I posted my reply before I completed typing.

I am temped to remove the iron sight and start from that end of the receiver. I have contacted Marlin CS to see if they want to step up and just replace the rifle. I am not holding out much hope. I have not even fired this rifle and I am already having problems with it. I really hope it shoots well when I finally take it to the range.

Respectfully

Brickrider

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
795's are generally very accurate, and generally very good little plinkers, re-reading your first post, i see that your dovetail is wonky so you might just be in for a fight...

first thing if it was me, I would re verify that its the right model rail, then but a pair of digital calipers to the rail, and dovetail to see where your measurements are and assess how much metal has to be removed from the rail, and figure out if its within your skill-set, and patience level to "file to fit"..

Replacement is always an option, especially if the dovetail is severely out of spec, but thats Remington's issue.

I also agree with the above post for the Dovetail scope rings posted above earlier, they are solid, and will work like a charm, and you'll not have one problem with them at all... the only concern i could see is if your factory dovetail is really wonky, anything you mount on it could amplify any misalignment...sadly, no matter which way you go, i think youre in a "trial and error" situation...

Shoot her with Iron sights, and make sure everything is accurate with the rifle as it sits, then go from there if it were me..

good luck.

Reactions: Brickrider

·
Registered
834 Posts
Shoot her with Iron sights, and make sure everything is accurate with the rifle as it sits, then go from there if it were me..

good luck.
I agree with this. My experiences with at least later model 795s out of the box is they tend to be picky about, ammo, action lube, and screw tension and like to be broken in before becoming quite reliable. I'd hit the range with say 5 different boxes of ammo and run it through before trying to zero a scope.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I contacted Marlin customer service and they asked me to return the rifle to their service center in Dallas. We will see if the results are any better this time around.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I have not yet returned my rifle to the service center. I wanted to at least shoot it first and see if I even needed the picatinny rail. Along with the rifle I have also purchased one extra 10 round magazine and two promag 25 round magazines. Unfortunately I was having so much fun shooting I failed to notice when the scope started walking backwards, but it did move backwards. I was thinking I must have moved my eye closer to the scope when I finally noticed the scope had moved closer to my eye. So, I guess I will box it up tonight and get it in the mail (UPS).

As a side note, it was really fun to shoot and the promag magazines worked as advertised. There were zero failures and the last shot hold open worked every time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: I sent my 795 to Marlin's service center in Dallas once. It came back with the left side of the dovetail repaired, but the DIP picatinny rail still did not fit. I still could not get it to even start. Marlin offered to try again, but for various reasons I did not even bother. I put that little project aside for awhile. Last weekend I contacted a local gun shop and they felt they could fit it to the gun. They could not get it on in stock form and did not feel comfortable machining on the rifle or the rail. I came back home more frustrated than ever.

Before visiting the gun shop I found that I had lost the set screws for the rail and I had sent an email to DIP asking for replacement screws. I offered to pay for the screws and S&H. I also explained my tale of woe fitting their rail to my rifle. Monday evening I received a phone call from Karen at DIP. The owner had recommended I try part number 15041 instead of 15011. The new rail arrived yesterday and I put it on today. It fits like a glove and I could not be happier. I should have contacted them a long time ago. They gave me a RMA number to return the other rail, but I feel have I marred it up to much to even bother.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts