Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just (back) ordered a Traditions .50 cal flintlock from Midway using my birthday pricing, which they stated they will honor. Hopefully it will show up in time for a "winter" project; we get about 2 weeks of freezing weather a year and snow about every other year. I can probably actually assemble everything in the raw and test fire it before finishing. I am perusing this forum for hint, tips and tricks.

·
Registered
21,196 Posts
Congrats! Don’t know about the flintlocks, but BP is lots of fun! What model did you order?

Reactions: NewtoSkeet

·
Premium Member
5,824 Posts
You have just found a great new hobby. Black powder is, well, addictive. I blame my own fall on that darn Jerimiah Johnson movie! I still own 3 cap lock guns and around a dozen flintlocks. My name is John and I'm a flint-o-holic!

·
Registered
28,553 Posts
You have just found a great new hobby. Black powder is, well, addictive. I blame my own fall on that darn Jerimiah Johnson movie! I still own 3 cap lock guns and around a dozen flintlocks. My name is John and I'm a flint-o-holic!
I just (back) ordered a Traditions .50 cal flintlock from Midway using my birthday pricing, which they stated they will honor. Hopefully it will show up in time for a "winter" project; we get about 2 weeks of freezing weather a year and snow about every other year. I can probably actually assemble everything in the raw and test fire it before finishing. I am perusing this forum for hint, tips and tricks.
First use good English black or gray flints. next year GOEX will be making B/P again.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Start your search for Black Powder now. Sometimes you just have to ask them if they have it or where local to buy it. Don't sweat it if you cannot find any 4f for the pan. A lot of guys use what ever is in their horn. Use real black powder not the subs. Some of the subs actually suggest a duplex load of a small charge of Black followed by your charge of whiz-band-second-string powder in flintlocks. I personally cannot say how subs work in a flintlock as I have never tried them. I figure if they were as good as first string Black powder they would not be subs.
Black English knapped flints are what you want to use.

I blame my own fall on that darn Jerimiah Johnson movie!
LOL I laughed every time he shot that "Hawken". My 10 bore with 4 drams of 2Fg and 1-7/8 oz of shot doesn't push me around that bad. The only good rifle in that movie was the O/U the Indian chief had.

Reactions: 94win30wcf

·
Premium Member
5,824 Posts
First use good English black or gray flints. next year GOEX will be making B/P again.
Beyond any doubt, great flints, Knepper not milled, are the key to great ignition.

Start your search for Black Powder now. Sometimes you just have to ask them if they have it or where local to buy it. Don't sweat it if you cannot find any 4f for the pan. A lot of guys use what ever is in their horn. Use real black powder not the subs. Some of the subs actually suggest a duplex load of a small charge of Black followed by your charge of whiz-band-second-string powder in flintlocks. I personally cannot say how subs work in a flintlock as I have never tried them. I figure if they were as good as first string Black powder they would not be subs.
Black English knapped flints are what you want to use.
There are other powders than Goex, which will be available in the coming year. Swiss powder is excellent, pricy but sometimes worth it. I haven't had significant success with substitute powders in flinters. Cap locks, sure they work great in them.

LOL I laughed every time he shot that "Hawken". My 10 bore with 4 drams of 2Fg and 1-7/8 oz of shot doesn't push me around that bad. The only good rifle in that movie was the O/U the Indian chief had.
Those shooting scenes were good for a laugh. The only black powder gun I own with greater recoil then seen in the movie is my 4 bore rifle, which will "push" you into tomorrow! 250 grains of 2fg and a ball that weighs approximately 1650 grains will have it's way with you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts