Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you have your guns dipped? I am thinking about getting my guns dipped in ASAT. Just would like seeing some guns that has been dipped.

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
Nice job deerhog!
How'd you do it?

·
Super Moderator
5,142 Posts
It really is very simple,using natural stencils from the yard. use a light base coat color and spray your stencils from lightest paint to darkest.
if you would care for a more in depth explaination, Pm me and i'll send you my phone number.

·
Registered
10,607 Posts
Deerhog, Excellent work. Thanks for the photos.
Have to be careful where you set it down in the woods.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I personally would spend the money to have a gun coated with a coating better than that dipped stuff
something like Cerakote or durakote
thsi way you get a gun that is extremely weather proof and still have it in a good camo pattern
it will be an up grade to the gun
will run more than 10 bucks, but its an investment way I would look at it!

·
Super Moderator
5,142 Posts
I taught myself how to do this one day when I decided to turn a rem 870 express into a Turkey gun for cheap.
Good part is,I can fix the camo or redo it anytime I want.I have done 100 of this type of job for a few of the local gun shops here.The shotguns that just sit on the shelf,get turned into Turkey guns and duck guns.And they sell.It's fun and inexpensive.And regardless of what some might say,my gun is 3 years painted,and still looks good,and is handling the use.
Sure it's not for everybody,but if you like to spend more ,by all means have at it!

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
Sparkchaser, not familiar with ASAT, what is that?

·
Registered
20,520 Posts
Great job deerhog!

Reactions: deerhog

·
Premium Member
950 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is what I'm gonna have done. I had a shotgun duracoated and was not pleased with that. Dipping is the way to go. I have a Remington 870 that is dipped and it is holding up very good.

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
Never done anything fancy, just three color paint job was good enough for my hunters.

Nice jobs I'm seeing.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Do any of you have your guns dipped? I am thinking about getting my guns dipped in ASAT. Just would like seeing some guns that has been dipped.
I tell ya what I did Tenderfoot , I went on line and found a Co >... Camouflage Gun And Gear Kits ... that sells regular pre cut Camo kit's for your rifles and shotguns for 425 bucks . I payed them $35 buck for my kit but they have lowered there prices , I see now .

I had this ole Nasty looking Mossburg C 20 gauge pump shotgun , and did that gun up with there kit. in about 45 min's . They have Video's on there site showing you how easy it is to install And Completely remove it in nothing Flat , if you ever want too , and change patterns or what ever and your gun Won't be hurt Guaranteed !

This kit has been on my shotgun now for about 5 years and Still looks New . I tell ya what" , I don't think you will ever find any thing else out there like it , ESP: for that price .

DSC03943.jpg DSC03944.jpg DSC03945.jpg DSC03946.jpg DSC03947.jpg

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Looks great Magnum6. :congrats: I'll have to give that kit a try!

·
Super Moderator
5,142 Posts
That kit is pretty slick!

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Nice work, but I don't understand. Apparently game doesn't stick around if we are not cammoed up at lots of places. I suppose we have slow deer and turkey. My hunting attire is usually jeans or khaki pants with a drab shirt of some kind, but I have killed lots of doves sitting on a stool atop a pond dam, wearing the white shirt and slacks straight from school or work. My first camo shirt was a gift from an outfitter that insisted that camo was required on his leases.

Likewise our game doesn't seem to run off just because a nicely polished and blued rifle or shotgun is used. My experience is that noise, odor, and movement are the game spookers. The biologist claim deer are colorblind anyway. My niece's husband is seriously color blind. He has trouble in the hunting field picking out deer and turkey. He snaps on noises and movement, and tells me that it is a real handicap while hunting. (He is good at fishing where feel is more important).

Friend bought a nice camouflaged knife. We are still looking for it!

One time I killed a mess of quail after lunch on my way back to a stand. I parked, cleaned the birds, got my gear and headed to a stand. On the way a young buck chased a doe right by me - out in the open - they stopped and copulated. The doe wandered off. Buck remained on the hallowed ground. I just stood and watched. He stayed. Along came another buck. Darnedest fight you ever saw took place. I don't think either buck, or the doe for that matter, would have paid attention to me if I had been wearing a hat with a neon sign on it. After all departed, I took the stand, only to have both bucks return within the next thirty or so minutes. They both needed to grow more, so they walked again.

I admit that neither buck was old enough to be a seasoned escape artist, but in the heat of passion, I'm not sure it matters - with deer or people? Surely not with a jealous gobbler.

Have fun,

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
Majority of my big hunting is from a enclosed blind. I paint my bolt guns tri colored but then once in a while I just like to walk or sit on a convenient stump for a while.

Myself I like the idea of coating, it not only gets rid of the shine, it protects the metal to a high degree leaving you more time for hunting even in nasty weather.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I agree, I don't need a camo gun, never did, never will
BUt I do like the modern coatings, and when there done RIGHT, they will make a gun last longer and less wear and tear will come to them, they hold up better in bad weather, increasing the guns potential to me
I have friends with dipped guns, fro YRS back whe remington had first come out, gons that were babied, still look great, guns that seen harder wear and tear, look it
taking an old beat up gun, and painting it camo??
might make it last a little longer and or look better
BUT its NOT the same as having the gun cleaned and preped and say having ceakote done to it the right way
or Black ice, or nitriate coated or the likes
that stuff wears harder and protects better than any dipped gun ever will
but it does come at a price, as cerakoting /black ice, cots a bunch more, so? all depends on what you want to do, expect it to last

1 - 20 of 27 Posts