Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't had my traps out for a couple of years due to being busy with life and had just lost the inclination. But right now we're dropping lambs and calves and a few weeks ago while the wife was checking cattle she coincidentally came across one cow fiercely defending a new born calf from a dog.
The dog took off when the Mrs turned up but was seen again the same time the following day. By then she was getting pretty worried.

I killed a couple of sheep for the freezer the following weekend and set a few traps around the gut and a couple on a pad with small baits. Foxes pinched the baits for a couple of nights because I have my traps set heavy enough that a fox or cat won't set them off. Nothing was going near the gut.

I caught this bitch and thought I'd sorted out the problem (and was the household hero).
Carnivore Plant Felidae Dog breed Big cats

But a few nights later we lost a couple of lambs to another dog.
I'm getting pics of it on the trail cam but so far haven't been able to get it into the trap.

Will keep you posted.

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Similar problem here in Texas. Coyotes, bobcats, hogs are the problem as fewer ranchers are able to keep the numbers in check. Found a young breeder buck dead two days ago, sternum eaten out. Buzzards and eagles were finishing the carcass. Fewer ranchers/absentee ranchers allow the varmint population to thrive. Sheep are way to valuable to feed the wildlife. Stay on them!!

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
A lot of people, me included, hung the traps in the shed when the powers that be cut the bounty to a point where it wasn't worth the effort to trap dogs. Almost overnight the numbers increased and now its a bigger problem than its ever been around here.
Hard buggers to shoot !

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A lot of people, me included, hung the traps in the shed when the powers that be cut the bounty to a point where it wasn't worth the effort to trap dogs. Almost overnight the numbers increased and now its a bigger problem than its ever been around here.
Hard buggers to shoot !
I hear ya.
Around here they only accept scalps on the 3rd Wednesday of every 2nd month and must be between 10am and 2pm. Not worth it for $30 each.

I do have a brother inlaw a few hours west of me who could cash them in for me and get good money, but I just couldn't be bothered.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
a trick i picked up was to dig a hole close to the trap about a foot and a half deep and just put something in the bottom, totally foreign to the dog. Strong perfume on a rag worked for me.

Reactions: vt4ster

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Looks healthy too. Well done. Did you do anything different?

Reactions: vt4ster
1 - 11 of 11 Posts