Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw my first blade of grass since November today!!! Spring is surely .....coming.:hmmmm:

As you may know I have outfitted one of my CB's with a MVA # 107 tang sight with the hopes of ringing some dingers at distance. Where I'll be shooting I can reach out to 400 yds. Now, with me being a dinger virgin I wonder what kind of dingers a fella would need at those distances. Specifically, type of steel, size for each range, how to or what to use to stand them up and what thickness of steel to use?

I won't be using any elephant loads. Just good old 45-70 trapdoor velocities maybe up to 1200-1300 fps max using 405 gr hard cast lead bullets.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

HA

·
Premium Member
17,018 Posts
Hey HA,

Six inch schedule 40 pipe works well. And is "modular".

Later, Mark

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey HA,

Six inch schedule 40 pipe works well. And is "modular".

Later, Mark
6 inch pipe would look awfully small at 300-400 yds. lol Would be fine for 100-200 though.

Thanks Mark.

HA

·
Premium Member
17,018 Posts
Hey HA,

If you hang three (or more) of them "side by side", they get "wider".

For 300 yds, you may want to be three wide, and 30" long.

Later, Mark

Reactions: HuntAway

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't ya just hate that CT? :biggrin:

Thanks,

HA

·
Super Moderator
8,054 Posts
I have also found a supply of small steel o2 cylinders that the bottoms have been cut off, they work great. We hang 3-4 on a wire rope and stretch between poles, paint them orange. they ring like church bells

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
6 inch pipe would look awfully small at 300-400 yds. lol Would be fine for 100-200 though.

Thanks Mark.

HA
HA, it only looks small if you don't use 10- 8 foot pieces! :flute:, Lookin BIGGER Now aint it! :marchmellow::biggrin: LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts