Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thanks to some of my compadres here I was able to load up several small batches of 38-55 for my 1893 to see what she likes to be fed.

photo 2.JPG photo 1.JPG

I had a couple of free hours this afternoon, so I raced out to the range to see what she could do. Had the range to myself except for this guy . . .

Bull snake.JPG

He seemed uninterested in things hyphenated and went on his merry way . . .

I had thought I'd originally measured my slug pushed through her at .377, but I'm pretty sure it's more like .379 at second, third, and fourth glance (I'm going to blame that on sleep deprevation - currently working graveyards at the Sheriff's Office). Findings on the range tend to agree. It would NOT group the .378 sized bullets that were sent my way from Wyoming. It was more like "hmmm. . . I wonder where the next one will fly off to." Duly noted.

It did shoot some nice respectable groups with .380 and .381 and .382 sized bullets. It seemed to favor the .381 in my very small sample, all loads fired over the same load of Unique. Definitely showed more accuracy with the long Starline brass ( I have a bunch on backorder at Starline ). So I'll start with .381, Unique, the long Starline brass, and work toward a load from there. I also intend to give Shenandoah's 4198 load a go as well at some point.

I had a handful of loaded .381 rounds left so I went over to the Cowboy Range and had a little fun. Sorry for the poor video quality, my normal shooting partners Sweet Pea and Wildman were both busy so it was a solo trip to the range without my staff video team, which resulted in what I'm going to call "dinger elbow". At least the audio is pretty good . . . .

All in all, very VERY excited about this rifle. She definitely shows a LOT of promise as a shooter if I can do my part working up a load. And she is EXCELLENT at making my face do this - :biggrin:. Where's my Wind's Wonder Wax, I going to need to apply some before the cracking starts again.

Thanks again to the U-Pick and WDRA gang for the gift packages, I hope to return the favor one of these days. You guys are the best!

Regard,

B

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Brian---

Looking good and I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before you have it all dialed in. I had very similar experiences today with a 38-40 I just got. First six shots were great then everything opened up, need a couple .000's more on the bullet dia. and hopefully I'll be good to go.

Steve

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Yes Sir! That made me smile. Nothing like a handful of history doing what it was meant to do! Wet Dog and I have a few "camera" stories we'll be happy to expound on the next time you're out this way. Best regards. Wind

·
Premium Member
17,018 Posts
Hey B,

"Got another one?" LOL

Great shooting.

Later, Mark

Reactions: bbri4570

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
That elbow was doing a fine job! Steve

Reactions: bbri4570

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That elbow was doing a fine job!
Don't encourage it, then it'll want to be front and center in upcoming videos now that it has had its big break center screen . . . . . . :shot:

Reactions: stevewhr

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Steve,

Bummed my schedule didn't work out to stop by on Friday, we'll have to do it again another day so you can show off your Shiloh. I'll bring the 38-55 and we can both be envious.

By the way in my short stop in Laramie, after picking up a truckload of my daughter's stuff from UW, she told me she had to take me by a neat gun shop. As you know, I was pressed for time to get back to Colorado for my son's lacrosse game, but you don't turn down a daughter who wants to take her Dad to a gun shop. So went stopped by here -

CPM Gun & Machine.jpg

The Marlin sign out front was a good sign in my mind. We were only there for about five minutes but I did see some nice old vintage Marlins on the wall. There was a 1894 in 25-20, and several 1893's in 25-36, 32-40, and 32 H.P.S. that I saw. Several other neat old shooters there as well. Didn't get a chance to fondle any of them, but it would be worth a stop to anyone passing through Laramie to check them out.

I did bring this home as a souvenir of my stop -

4198.JPG

Made it back in time for the lacrosse game, and well . . . they lost a very close game and were state runner ups. Still a great season.

Regards,

B

1 - 7 of 7 Posts