Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
loading up the next batch of ammo...

I had good results out of 42gr RL15 but was rushed the day i shot that group. going to settle into it again and see if it's consistent. it's a light recoil load, but I doubt the deer will miss the 250 fps i'm missing compared to max load. I also have loads from 44.0 up to 46.0 and i'll watch for pressure very closely as I get thru this lot.

The big question I have is about some dimples i got at the base of the neck today. I think they are from too much lube (don't get me started about the fr%#*^&@#[email protected]#[email protected]#$ tube of lube from RCBS...i was squeeeezzzzzing...and POP...lap full of lube. i got most of it cleaned up but my pad is SOAKED now and i think i got some lube on the necks of a couple rounds. in the end they dimpled. I see no reason not to fire them, they chamber fine, and will fire-form when the trigger goes click...anyone have any issues firing these?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yep, too much lube. You should also clean your dies... I've usually just dismantled them, loaded with some cheap stuff, fired and popped the dimples off and reloaded them again. I wouldn't hunt with the dimpled cartridges.

·
Super Moderator
15,820 Posts
Try Hornady one shot case lube, I see no reason why the cases you have wouldn't fire form and be usable. When I first started reloading I did up a batch of 30-30 cases that dimpled because of the case lube getting on the neck area, shot 'em up and still reuse them. The one shot takes the dimple problem out of the equation. Mr fixit

·
Registered
392 Posts
mr fixit said:
Try Hornady one shot case lube, I see no reason why the cases you have wouldn't fire form and be usable. When I first started reloading I did up a batch of 30-30 cases that dimpled because of the case lube getting on the neck area, shot 'em up and still reuse them. The one shot takes the dimple problem out of the equation. Mr fixit
What he said x 10. spray lube is the next best since sliced bread.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I've shot more than a few dented/dimpled cartridges over the past 30yrs and they will be fine as long as they chamber. :)

As far as lube goes, I prefer the RCBS lub and pad to anything else. The lube is no big issue as long as you don't get it so thick on the pad. I drizzle it around the pad and then rub it into the pad with my finger. ;)

The problem with spray lubes is they tend to get cases stuck in the sizing die. EVERY time someone on one of the forums I visit complains about a stuck case in his die, it's due to a spray lube. I would rather deal with a dimple here and there then try to get a stuck case out of my sizing dies.
:eek:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Any chance for a photo? I'm not clear on how the lube caused the dimples and what they look like. Just interested in learning. Tks

·
Registered
603 Posts
msbfdx said:
Any chance for a photo? I'm not clear on how the lube caused the dimples and what they look like. Just interested in learning. Tks
The lube accumilates and since its a liquid, it does not compress. Resulting in a dimpled case.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks. You learn something new everyday. I'm guessing it must take a fair amount of lube to cause this?

·
Registered
981 Posts
msbfdx said:
Thanks. You learn something new everyday. I'm guessing it must take a fair amount of lube to cause this?
Yes it does. If there is a thick coating of lube, you will get dimples. You just need enough to make the case slick.

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
mr fixit said:

Why does it take it out of the equation--trying to learn here.

Steve

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
mr fixit said:

Why does it take it out of the equation--trying to learn here.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
6,352 Posts
My Dad used that One Shot spray lube for a long time. He really liked it. It doesn't dimple the cases because it doesn't put enough liquid on the case to build a bubble. I use the cream lubes and put it on with my fingers, If I get careless there will be too much. When the case is put into the sizing die, the die pushes the excess lube into the shoulder area. There, the lube can't move into the upper neck area and can't compress, so the brass gives and makes a bulge. As far as shooting the round, the buldge is insignificant, even in top loads. I had an 8x57 loaded round that got run over in the gravel driveway. I threw it in my shooting box and left it there for quite a spell. One day at the range I decided to touch it off. It shot into the same group as the rest of that batch. No worries.

Jeff
NRA Life

1 - 14 of 14 Posts