Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Dillon Square Deal B?

3K views 42 replies 19 participants last post by  Octogun 
#1 ·
I have never reloaded. When I start I think it will be for handgun loads, in 3 calibers (one being .45LC, for an 1894). I have been saving brass for awhile now, anticipating "the day". Reloading is not yet in my budget, the start up costs are considerable. However I like to plan ahead.

The Dillon Square Deal B comes highly recommended by someone I respect. What say you who have experience with different equipment, is this the hot set up? Plusses? Minus'?

Thank you,

Niftus

#5 · (Edited)
Dillon presses are pretty much at the top of the game with only Hornady Lock N Load series up for contention.

The Square Deal is a compact press that uses a proprietary die block. It's a little more complicated to change out calibers but not terribly so. It's geared towards pistol calibers. Most folks that use one have it set up for ONE caliber and then simply buy another Square Deal in a different caliber and mount it next to the first...and so on. Know of a few reloaders that have 3 permanently set up. Do have one friend that just changes calibers on his only press. The die block/caliber conversion is a bit pricey, but not extremely so. It's an excellent press if you're only reloading one or two pistol calibers at a low to moderate volume. It's auto indexing.

The 550b is a much larger press and manual indexing, but uses standard dies from any manufacturer. It's easily rifle caliber capable and many folks use theirs for 223 and 308 reloading among other calibers. It's the easiest and most cost efficient Dillon to caliber change. Assuming an extra toolhead of adjusted dies, same size primers and an attached powder dispenser, it's literally a 2 minute change. If you need to swap the dispenser it'll add another 2-3 minutes. Changing the primer size is another 5min. Loading 500rnds an hour is completely possible with minimal work.

The 650 is a step up with auto indexing and a 5th die position. It's a bit harder and slower to change calibers. A bit faster in production though

So basically if you're looking at one or two pistol calibers for with low to moderate volume, the Square Deal will suit you fine. If you plan on expanding your calibers to four or more, doing high volume reloading, or rifle calibers then the 550 would be a better place to be.

For what it's worth, while expensive, several of the Dillon accessories make life easier. The Brian Enos forum put together a 'as it should be' package that includes things like the strong mount, bullet tray, and roller handle upgrades that makes the work go even smoother and faster. I've got near $1k invested in my Dillon with accessories including a pile of extra powder dies and tool heads, but can knock out several hundred rounds of over half a dozen calibers in less than an hour. If you think you are going to go down this same road.

#12 ·
...The Square Deal is a compact press that uses a proprietary die block. It's a little more complicated to change out calibers but not terribly so. It's geared towards pistol calibers. Most folks that use one have it set up for ONE caliber and then simply buy another Square Deal in a different caliber and mount it next to the first...and so on. Know of a few reloaders that have 3 permanently set up. Do have one friend that just changes calibers on his only press. The die block/caliber conversion is a bit pricey, but not extremely so. It's an excellent press if you're only reloading one or two pistol calibers at a low to moderate volume. It's auto indexing.

The 550b is a much larger press and manual indexing, but uses standard dies from any manufacturer. It's easily rifle caliber capable and many folks use there for 223 and 308 reloading among other calibers. It's the easiest and most cost efficient Dillon to caliber change. Assuming an extra toolhead of adjusted dies, same size primers and an attached powder dispenser, it's literally a 2 minute change. If you need to swap the dispenser it'll add another 2-3 minutes. Changing the primer size is another 5min. Loading 500rnds an hour is completely possible with minimal work...
If we were to take a poll in my house (this means if we ask my wife) it would come back with the clear result that buying different reloading machines for different calibers is HIGHLY unlikely in the foreseeable future. So that 550B really looks interesting. I've been on the Dillon site (I am not stuck on Dillon but I am starting there based on good reviews) and need to better understand the differences in day to day life between the 550B & Square Deal. Different caliber change outs appear to be 1/2 the cost with the 501, and rifle calibers can be done with the 501. These are two pretty good selling points.

#6 ·
Nuftus,

I'll just throw this into the mix.

I recently sold my progressive. Have handloaded since the 60s, and even though the big bright read progressive had a real WOW factor to impress those viewing my set up, I enjoy hand loading and have never needed more ammo then I could produce on my single stage.

Then, while I have looked at the Square Deal B a number of times and few can question the Dillon company quality and customer service, the deal breaker was always the cost of conversion from one caliber to another with the Square Deal.

The dies are proprietary, made for and usable only in that system and the cost of conversions was excessive when other options were considered.

Soooooo, first do you need a progressive? And do you want to be saddled with a system having issues such as proprietary dies and the caliber limitations inherent with the Square Deal B?

No one will think any less of you as a handloader if you don't have a progressive now OR ever. And should they ever do so, they have a personal problem.

I'm not coming down on progressives in general OR their owner/users, but think you would be much better off as a new handloader to begin with a good single stage and maybe, if needed or desired, move to a progressive at a later and more experienced date.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

#8 ·
I have been reloading since the mid 1970's and started with rifle on single stage that I still use. I also went to turret presses and they are great for rifle and pistol. I also have a Dillon Square Deal B that I purchased from my brother and while it might have issues to some it has non with me. The nice thing about Dillon is their on line help and upgrades. They sent me a new priming system free and even will sent parts if they break. They do stand behind their products.
I like progressive for pistols but will stay with the single and turret presses for rifles. If you ever get a turret press be sure to get plenty of extra turret heads in the case they quit making them.

#9 ·
When I was regularly shooting 3 gun in a group twice a month, we were loading thousand of rounds a week sometimes to get everyone enough ammo to practice for, and shoot an upcoming match. For volume like that a progressive is the only thing that will keep up. In that case it was a Dillion 650, owned by one of the other group members. Although it can hiccup, I have nothing bad to say about the press or the great company. No that I shoot less, I've gotten pretty handy with a Redding T-7, and it can do at least two calibers per turret. A turret change takes about a minute. Volume wise it cannot compete with a reliable progressive, but it certainly does enough for my current needs. Plus the time spent is like therapy anyway. If I get back into a heavier volume, I will be going for the 550b as well.

#11 ·
To add the voice of dissent, I have an SDB and a 550 and I much prefer to load pistol ammunition on the SDB. The handle has a shorter stroke and the shell plate auto indexes. I load faster on the SDB than the 550 by a fair margin. As for the cost of conversions. They really aren't all that dissimilar if you include the cost of dies for the 550 (the SDB conversions come with dies).

#13 ·
As for the cost of conversions. They really aren't all that dissimilar if you include the cost of dies for the 550 (the SDB conversions come with dies).
Noted! Probably shouldn't admit to this but it took me a few minutes to figure out that SDB was Dillon Square Deal B. :)

Reactions: PWB
#14 ·
I bought my first Square Deal before they had a B in the 80's for 44 mags. Prior to that I loaded everything on my Herters single stage. I ended up sending the Dillon in after a gazillion rounds for a rebuild and they sent it back FREE with instructions about kits , and essentially it was now a SDB. Being as how it loads 45LC, 38Special/357Mag and those 44 Mags it gets used a lot more and I have replaced the bushings in it again. Basictly though, this Square Deal is 30 years old and I love it. Yes I do have a 550 for some rifles and two single stage presses for the misc/custom. Buy a SDB, no BS and a NO BS warrantee to boot.

Reactions: Octogun
#15 ·
I have never reloaded either, but have been doing my research. I will probably go with the Dillon 550. The SDB is still on my radar. Only think keeping me from buying one already is the availability of powder. Powder for handguns is not available anywhere. I have been talking to someone who feels handgun powders will start appearing on shelves this summer, but until I can get my hands on some powder, I’ll not be buying any equipment at all. Just reloading manuals.

There are some good videos on YouTube on the SDB and the 550 that are worth watching. Changing calibers is much easier on the 550. A second SDB is an option, but not if you can’t afford it.

#16 ·
I simply don't understand the "changing calibers is much easier on the 550" statements. The sum difference is 2 pins vs. 4 cap screws to remove the tool head. Yes, removing 4 cap screws takes more time than pulling 2 pins, but it doesn't take 60 seconds to do and it is as straight forward as any job gets. Heck, you'll waste that 60 seconds messing around with the shell plate bolt and set screw of the 550 as opposed to the SDB shoulder bolt.

The only reason to get a 550 over the SDB is if you plan to load bottle necks progressively.

#17 ·
Both presses are great, but the SDB is limited the 550b is not, when I got back into shooting (spent 40 years in NJ so I was severely limited in what I could own) and moved to South Carolina, I swore i'd only be using handguns, but, less than a year after purchasing a few handguns I started picking up rifles, now I have 3 hand guns and over a dozen rifles, if I had chosen the SDB I'd be s**t outta luck for reloading and would have had to buy a new press to accomodate. Since this fellow hasn't started yet, I would think he'd be better off with a press that will do ANYTHING vs just pistol.
But, that's just me, honestly, it's a win win, if he gets a SDB and decides to get a rifle or two or three :) or more ESPECIALLY with Marlinitis then he'll just need another press! Well, and all new dies, I don't recall if the dies that work on the SDB will fit the 550b or not...but even so...it's all part of the fun! I mean, it's only money right? right? Please tell me I'm right! :flute:

#18 ·
Thren' covered the differences between the SDB and the 550 well and the only thing I would take exception with is the statement that the SDB is at it's best for low to moderate volume. With the SDB it's not at all dificult to maintain 500 to 600 rounds per hour with nothing more than a half dozen pre-loaded primer tubes. In my experience, it would be a challenge to match that on a 550.

But...I'm going to take a different tract...

I have never reloaded.
With this in mind, I would suggest a simple single stage press or possibly a non-progressive turret press until you are fully aware of each step in the reloading process. There are a lot of nuances involved in even small things like case prep, primer & bullet seating, crimp, and a host of other things, that are often overlooked, or at least obscured, with a progressive. I feel it's best to learn each step in the process individually, then "progress" to a progressive when that understanding is complete.

Single station presses are inexpensive and will remain a useful tool even after the move to a progressive....and good speed can be accomplished even with a single station, when batch processing methods are employed...but you must learn to walk before you can run.

Roe

#19 ·
I started out on a SDB press many years ago and would still have except some guy just had to have it and paid me all I had invested (plus) in it. I was shooting competition at the time and so was about 5 family members. I moved up to a 650 XL and with in 2 years, what I saved from reloading my own to what store bought ammo would have cost us I figured I paid for that press. The 650 XL is the Cadillac of the fleet IMHO. It will do them all. For a few pistol/revolver calibers a SDB will do a fine job. Big difference in price but also a big difference in what it can do. Make a sound decision in what you want to do as these things are not cheap but they have build in quality that will last a life time.

#21 ·
Mazer,

The Square Deal B dies are proprietary, made for and used on the SDB only.

Then -------

I not only couldn't pencil out the SDB, but the die situation allows no redundancy. No matter what is said, the cost for me was a deterrent.

No matter how good the SDB is, we are talking about a new handloader here and as indicated above, this situation is likely to lead to more and other firearms, some of which will be Bottle neck.

Best direction for the O.P. is still getting his reloading feet wet with a single stage.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

#23 · (Edited)
I own a Dillon 550 B...they are a bit pricey, so I bought it in stages and now I have it up and running...it's simple to use and works like a charm! I first thought about buying a Square Deal B to load pistol ammo. I've been reloading rifle ammo for years on a Lyman T-Mag II and was undecided about owning another press duplicating what I can already do on my Lyman. However I went ahead and got a 550B because it would let me use rifle and pistol dies I already had on hand, rather than being limited to the proprietary dies required for a SDB.

If you are on a budget, you may want to look at a Dillon Basic..it will give you the function of a progressive press that is upgradeable to a 550B...one of the best accessories I bought is the Dillon instructional video, very simple and straight forward tutorial, they didn't use one of their calendar girls so it's not very entertaining visually, but it is informative.

As mentioned in another post; Brian Enos had about the best website devoted to Dillon products...it will help sift through the components you need and some that are nice to have but are not necessary to get started. I bought my press and stand from Graf & Son's, because at the time they were the only supplier that had them in stock. I later used the Brian Enos website as a guide and ordered the rest of my components direct from Dillon...if I remember the only reason that I ordered from Dillon instead of Brian Enos was that the shipping was a few bucks cheaper...the price of the components are the same.

#24 ·
Normally I do not "like" every post but I really appreciate the input from all directions on this. My concern about starting with a single stage press is that at some point I'd want to upgrade, then would have to spend the money all over again. Even so, if one was available on Craigslist at a fair price locally, that might be an option. If true in my area, the lack of pistol powder is a real consideration; gonna have to have a think about that.

#25 ·
I still use a single stage on a regular basis and I have both a 550 and an SDB mounted on my bench. Progressive bottle neck reloading is not one pass through the machine like straight walled pistol cartridges. You have to size them and then do case prep before sending them through again for powder bullet and crimp (if desired). It is still faster, but not the big difference you get with pistol. Rather than buy tool heads and conversions for everything, I load low volume bottlenecks on the single stage.

#26 ·
I was in no way saying that the SDB was better than the 550. It's just that when I first bought the SD in the 80s it cost me a whopping $79 and it worked like a corvette next to my $14 Herters cast iron C press. My 550 loads match grade 22-250s as precise as I can on the single stage and I also load others also. I have the extra toolhead setups complete with powder measures etc. so it is faster to convert than the SD. But.... I still use the SD for all my straight walled handgun loading, except for my 460S&W.

#27 ·
The 450B that I have been using for thirty years is still in fine form. While its primary use was to load pistol cartridges, it has also been used to load .223, .308 and 7mm TCU. The 550B is the "modern" version and much more flexible with the interchangeable tool heads. I would purchase it over the SDB, which I bet is a fine press for its purpose.

#28 ·
Niftus,

If your into handloading for more then the short term, it is almost certain that you would one day have a single stage even if you start with a progressive.

There are simply things that can be done easier on that press, or maybe not at all on a progressive.

I think for example of using a collet bullet puller which while possibly usable on a progressive, other then a SDB, would not be nearly as handy.

So, given the fact that most progressive press users likely have and keep a single stage on hand it is not an issue of wasted $$$$$$$ to start with the single stage.

You are not a better handloader if you use a progressive or a single stage press, but without question with only one process happening at a time, it is easier to learn the process when there are no thoughts or worries about multiple things happening with every stroke of the handle.

You will not need to "start all over again" with a single stage, because most of the tools used with a single stage are usable on a progressive, UNLESS your dealing with the SDB which of course has the proprietary sized dies.

You need a good scale with a single stage and likewise with a progressive. Should you need a bullet puller, and some day you will, it can happen both ways.

Powder measures may be specific to a progressive and not readily usable in a stand alone situation, but there are many measures available, even to the point of the very simple "Little Dandy" from RCBS.

Unless you are one to quickly jump from one thing to another, You need to look at this in light of long term and most of your equipment, providing you buy with an eye to quality, will be used repeatedly for years to come. Buying a single stage to start the process is not wasted money and who knows, you may end up like myself and find yourself selling your progressive and going totally back to the single stage.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

#29 ·
...given the fact that most progressive press users likely have and keep a single stage on hand it is not an issue of wasted $$$$$$$ to start with the single stage.
Okay thanks. I've gone cheap on other things in the past only to regret it. But y'all are clearly saying that a single stage press has nothing to do with cheap (if it's a good quality single stage). Thanks, I will consider that.

Looking on line, pistol powder looks pretty scarce. Are powder, primers and bullets as hard to find as .22 or did I just pick the wrong sites to search?

#30 ·
Hang in there Niftus,

This is NOT a good time to get into handloading, at least when it comes to buying some tools and components and yes almost as bad as finding .22 LR ammo.

Recently heard from a friend who's friend is an insider on one of the large companies that have their fingers DEEP in the shooting and component industry and the thought there is that they expect such things as .223 ammo to begin returning to the shelves.

Another insider even a bit deeper inside was a speaker at a men's breakfast I attended late in 2012 said that although he said his crystal ball was really cloudy he expected to see things easing in about a years.

Well, we missed the first date, so here is hoping they are close enough to the source to have some real life feel for reality.

So, although it is not a good time, it is the time period your in so buckle down and hang on, and use it for a learning period just as you are currently doing.

I ordered a new set of .223 dies and some powder last week and have rec'd both, so I do hope that supplies are in fact easing.

May take awhile, but Keep your eyes open and ears to the ground and You'll get er done.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.