Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering stepping up from a single stage press to a Dillon 550.

One of my concerns with this step up is the accuracy of the powder flow for my 30 30 Winchester loads. At the present time I use 3031 for loads for cowbloy lever silhouette. I presently weigh each powder load because of the differences in powder drop that often happen with long extruded powder.

Looking for info from others who are loading 30 30 Winchester on progessive presses as to what powder they are using and what type of accuracy with the powder drops they are getting.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have two Dillon's that I use for pistol cartridges. Their powder measure is very good and can go against anybodies. That said, most all powder measures have a tough time with extruded powders. The Hodgdon short cut series (4831SC) work a little better, but you still get some cutting. If you want to use a progressive I would suggest that you work up an acceptable load with a ball or flake powder. I have used Hodgdon's H322 in my RCBS measure. It will throw a charge within +/-0.3 grains with some cutting. Both the Dillion and RCBS will throw ball or flake powder to +/-0.1 grains consistently.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I too have the Rl550B press and love it/ I use extruded powders and find that though at times they can be finicky through the measure I'm usually close to that .1 gr claim. My opinion is that you could find no better press than the Dillon as far as progressives go. they work great and the 550 is the most versatile of the bunch. Sorry to sound like a shill for Dillon but I like my press that much. I don't silike th others but I'd never own one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I finished loading 500 rounds of .22-250 with my Dillon 550 (1986 model). I used Varget and it meters very well. I checked with my RCBS digital scale and the charges were within .1 or .2 grains. I recently read a post that said factory match tolerance for powder was 5%. I was loading 35.0 grains of Varget behind a 52gr. Speer HP. Five percent of 35 grains is 1.75, so the Dillon measure is well within tolerance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts