Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a chance to get a second hand dillon RL 450 progressive press set up for 38 special/357.
I was all excited, because I was thinking I was going to change over and just use it rather than my RCBS and LEE stuff.

But, now I'm realizing I probably can't afford to buy the shell plates, etc., for all the rest of the stuff I reload, so i'm probably better off to sell it. If I add up all the $$$ I spent for all the parts for the loadmaster and RCBS....setup,...and times that by 4,..that is probably what it is going to cost to switch everything over. So my mistake, I guess...as much as I'd rather have the dillon, I'm in construction so there is little extra money floating around these days.

So, my question is, I've got no idea the amount of $$ to ask for when I sell this. It would have been nice to start out on dillon, but after second thoughts, I'm smarter to just stick with what I've got until times are much better in my line of work.

What would be fair to both buyer and seller for a 450 set up for 38/357? (Takes normal dies, by the way).

Thanks for your input in advance.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Someone that shoots a lot of 38/357 in CAS would probably love that set up. I mostly shoot 357 these days, but that's more press than I need.

·
Super Moderator
7,707 Posts
I have the 550B. Its been A great setup. Adding calibers is A bit more costly.
They cant be beat for pistol rounds.

·
Super Moderator
7,707 Posts
The lack of A removable tool head limits the usefullness of the 450. if you shoot one caliber handgun cartridge A lot, it may be worthwhile to Keep the dillon for that cartridge exclusivly.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To be honest. I reload most of my rifle rounds by hand on single stages. The thought hadn't even crossed my mind to do those on a progressive.
I use the loadmaster for 45acp and 44 mag, 45 colt. 454 casull, and now some 38 special...might try 45-70 if I get into some loads that are low end but I still like them.

The DILLON is already set up for 38 special. Has an awful nice powder thrower with it (don't know if that means it's more accurate, but it does seem 'cool".)

I do not have a shell plate for 38 for the loadmaster, but have about everything else you could think of.
I think the shell plates for the lee are around $30 with shipping (so..$30. and I'm on the road with anothyer caliber.,..I'm guessing the dillons plates are double,...plus I'd need a whole lot of "other" shell plates before I could get going with the other calibers.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Keep it, tough times never last just like good times, some day you will have the money to do the conversions

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Dillon has a no "BS" guarantee and anything that needs fixed is replaced for free and it doesn't matter who bought the unit. I personally would keep it until you have more $ and just reload 38/357 ammunition and add what you can as you can afford it.
I have a Dillon SDB press that I bought used several years back and Dillon has shipped to me at no cost, some upgrades, and I'm totally impressed with them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts