Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.
I have a dilemma that I can't figure out and need help on.
I'm going to reload my 40cal. Beretta with speer 180gr. TMJ FN. I have AA-5 powder. CCI-500 primers. And once fired American eagle casings. My speer reloading manual shows a starting charge of 7.0 grains with a max of 7.8 for this powder.
I read a lot and do some research before I ever load a new load being so VERY new to this. Other reloading data shows starting loads at 5.8 to 6.0. I'm confused to be honest and I just don't understand why the book says one thing but nothing else shows a load starting so high. Any help would be great, and please remember I'm quite new to reloading.
Thank you guys in advance.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Every bullet has different characteristics. I would defer to the Speer data in this case. I confirm Speer #14 says:
Speer Part# 4401, 4402, 4406
AA No. 5.: Min 7.0 grains
AA No. 5: MAX 7.8 grains

Start at 7.0 and work up.

I don't see the Speer bullet in the Accurate Powder load sheet for 40 S&W and AA No. 5 (http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/WP_LoadSpec_1-23-14.pdf). Speer knows their bullets and I would trust them here.

Reactions: Stephenn

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds good to me. I hadn't thought of it that way, but speer would know their bullets. Thanks bud. :)

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
The way I understand it, aside from just companies coming up with data that may be a little different is various projectiles have longer or shorter bearing surfaces. Which causes pressures to be different due to more or less friction.

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
My rule of thumb: Use the amalgum of both, so MIN 5.8 MAX 7.8, depending on what I plan to do with the bullet determines where I start. In this case, I'd start around 6-6.5gr and see how they run.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.