Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the thoughts on these machines? I have a lee powder measure that cannot throw a load consistantly. I am getting to much variation in my weighed load and my MV with the chrony. I also need to speed things up and hav a couple hundred xtra $ tucked away from some ebay auctions and was looking at the Pact, RCBS and the Lyman systems. I load for the 35, 444 and a lone 270. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
I have the PACT. It's great for loading precision ammo where you would have trickled the charge anyway, but too slow for bulk loading.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
A little more detail...

I have the new "twice as fast" PACT. Good thing too, the old ones must have been S L O W. 25 grains of RL7 or H335 take 20-25 seconds with half of that time spent trickling the last grain into the pan. The system is very accurate and consistent. Maybe 1 in 10 loads is not right on the money. With 90 percent of those being .1 grain light. It is handy for load development, where you could spend a lot of time setting up a measure over and over for a small number of rounds. Electronic scales are great for weighing bullets or brass if you take reloading to that level.

PACT makes the RCBS units, so if that's the way you decide to go, buy the PACT and save a buck. I have no experience with the Lyman units.

PACT has their combo on sale right now factory direct at $229 shipped:

http://www.pact.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=specials

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks shooter
It cant be any slower than this this Lee measure that is 1 for 10 in getting a good throw. The rest of the time I am trickling onto an ohaus 3 beam. I think this will be much faster! Once I detirmined it was the powder measure I had to carefully weigh each load andf then move on to crimp issues. Been getting an education on this and other reload forums. I dont get alot of reload time as my bench is set up at my vacation home so I want to streamline the operation and get the accuracy I require. I am only looking for <3" as I dont shoot for money, just the freezer and fun. Between the 3 cals I have over 4500 rounds of brass to work with. Just got an email that Midway has the gold dots at 50% off, might have to get some of the .429 in 270 gr. THanks again.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Sometimes the type of powder being measured is the culprit. Ball and flake powder measure more consistantly than extruded powder. When using the manual powder measure you have to be very consistent with the way you operate the measure. I have a Lee myself and with Winchester 748 and Winchester 760 mine only varies 1 or 2 tenths. I weigh the charge every 5 loads to be sure and after that I will go to every 10 loads.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have the RCBS slow version. I use it for large quantities especially rifle. It is faster than weighing each charge on a balance beam scale, but slower than a measure. The advantage is that weighing is much easier on the back, since you don't have to watch the scale and dribble the powder. It removes much of the the "stress" of a large amount of powder measuring, since you can sit back and just push a button.

You can also use the measure to throw a slightly less charge, and use the dispenser to "top off" to the right quantity. This will signficantly increase speed.

If I have 20 or less to weigh, I use the beam scale, since the set up and calibration time is so much less that it pays to use the beam scale.

I checked on the price of upgrading to the fast version, but I decided against it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Well,I made the plunge and bought the RCBS chargemaster combo.I should have done that a long time a go.I am loading 46 gr.s of H4198 for my 45-70 and I'm here to tell you that it is a whole lot faster then what I can measure out.I'd say it measures out in about 8 or 10 seconds.I know that I don't have time to do anything else,so I wait and just funnel the powder into the case.No more stiff neck.I had the pact in the cart but then I said ,"all,what the heck"and went with the one that gave the best reviews.I'm glad I did.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the Lyman 1200 & think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Of course, as mentioned by others here, it's not as fast as using a dispenser, but MUCH more accurate. It is faster than dispensing & then hand trickling, for sure & I absolutely hate hand trickling anyway.

I use it for all my rifle loads, but go back to the old RCBS dispenser for handgun loads as it's much faster & these tend to get loaded in higher numbers.

Would I buy this product again ?.... In a heartbeat.

Robert

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Static line,

I just ordered most everything need for reloading my 444S, 444SS and .35 Rem. I was really thinking this reloading is quite inexpensive until I saw the RCBS chargemaster combo! I Ordered it too!!! The thing just doubled what I was spending. :p

I can't wait for the stuff to get here.

Dave

·
Registered
834 Posts
Don't know about the digital stuff. I use a Lyman beam scale and a Lee Perfect powder measure. Which lee measure are you using? My Lee and my bro's Lee throw very consistent charges, but I don't shoot benchrest. For hunting loads my trickler gathers dust.

Larry

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
I use my Lee Powder Thrower almost exclusively. I have a Lyman and a RCBS as well. The Lee is a fragile little devil and I did break one once but it is very accurate. hint-after the throw do not tap the thrower. This will cause odd throws. Good luck with the digital. I'm waiting until they get em down a little better (faster). Life is good, BestLever

1 - 12 of 12 Posts