Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently gifted a Marlin Papoose 70PSS, serial number 03xxxxxx along with the included magazine and three extra magazines. Unfortunately, the three extra magazines do not fit in the rifle because they have a solid left side where the included one has a 1" notch. (See pictures)

Can anyone tell me what rifles these non-notched magazines will fit in? I have no use for them because the only Marlin's I own are the Papoose and a 39 TDS.

Thanks,

RobSpook

The picture below shows the magazine that doesn't work on the left, and the magazine that was included with the rifle on the right.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
I may be wrong, but I think that the magazines that don't work are intended for bolt-actions and pre-1996(?) autoloaders. Newer ones utilize a hold-open device which may work by a tab attached to the follower protruding through the cutout in the magazine. That's how my Remington 597 works, anyway. Hope this helped...

EDIT: Now that I look more closely at your photo, it appears that the magazine on the right lacks a hold-open tab... ??? Is there a projection inside the magwell that fits into that slot? Maybe I need to get another Marlin to study. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I noticed that notch also... just couldn't really tell if there was an actual purpose for it.

These magazines are for PRE-1996 rifles then correct? Guess I need to take these three mags to a gun show and try to trade them now.

Thanks for the replies!

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
robspook said:
I would really like to sell or trade these if anyone is interested? I live in Moore, Oklahoma...
If you want to use them, it'd only take about two minutes with a file to remove that bump in the magwell. Sorry I don't have a use for those magazines...yet. ;)

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
The ONLY function for that magwell bump is to prevent the old 12/13 round & Ramline 20-round mags from being used.
That's it. They were trying to avoid issues with Bill Clinton's Assault Weapons Ban, which ran from 1996-2004.

Like Marlin XL7 said...two minutes with a File and you can use all your mags. It affects nothing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I try to keep all my equipment in like new condition so modifying the weapon puts me off a bit. In this case I may take your advice though and just do it. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Probably a long shot based on the date of your last post, but if you still have these mags, I think they would fit my 989M2. Let me know if you still got 'em

·
Registered
92 Posts
RobSpook,
The mag on the left is just like the mag that came with my Marlin XT-22R.
I then purchased a Marlin 795 and the Left style did not work on my 795. The 795 came with a 10 round mag like the one on the right.
the additional mags I purchased are all like the one on the right and I can use it on both.
So you should be able to sell that to someone with an XT-22 at the least. Dirt Cheap sells them for about $10 + shipping.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Interested in the mags

Hi, I'd be interested in the mags if you still have them.

Thanks.

I was recently gifted a Marlin Papoose 70PSS, serial number 03xxxxxx along with the included magazine and three extra magazines. Unfortunately, the three extra magazines do not fit in the rifle because they have a solid left side where the included one has a 1" notch. (See pictures)

Can anyone tell me what rifles these non-notched magazines will fit in? I have no use for them because the only Marlin's I own are the Papoose and a 39 TDS.

Thanks,

RobSpook

The picture below shows the magazine that doesn't work on the left, and the magazine that was included with the rifle on the right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts