Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of different caliber Marlins and all of them are JM's. Question is: why do some of them have the JM stamp with a circle around it and some have just the JM. Does it have to do with the year of manufacture, caliber, the person doing the stamping or what ?? You would think the "famous" JM trademark would be uniform. I wish I knew everything-so I wouldn't have to ask dumb questions.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
It's not actually a trademark. If it were, to maintain its protected status it would be required to be uniform. It is more of a standard proof mark that is recognized in the industry and others don't use it in order to maintain their own identity. Hence the somewhat irregular look and placement.

Reactions: Slugnut

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Right/Left side stamping was due to the direction of assembly run and dependant of the stamper being L or R handed!

BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I also heard it was Stamped after it had been test fired at the Factory! I've also heard if you had a older Marlin that didnt have the JM stamp on it, it left the factory never test fired?

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
I always figured that it was just as the proof stamps on hand wore out the newer ones made didn't have the circle? Also may have made it easier to apply without the circle? Making a perfect impression/proof mark on round steel surface by hand isn't as easy as it sounds... we had people screw it up all the time where I used to work, even on "flat" surfaces, LOL!

Reactions: Slugnut

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I always figured that it was just as the proof stamps on hand wore out the newer ones made didn't have the circle? Also may have made it easier to apply without the circle? Making a perfect impression/proof mark on round steel surface by hand isn't as easy as it sounds... we had people screw it up all the time where I used to work, even on "flat" surfaces, LOL!
A few of my JM stamps are imperfect, for sure. They're legible, but irregular.

My understanding from posts by former Marlin employees is that the hand stamp was applied after the rifle was test fired. Barrels that were in stock when the old plant closed were shipped to New York without a stamp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts