Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm such a nice guy I broke down and bought the wife a new 1894C since she liked my FG so much but wanted a different caliber. I noticed that the .357 Mag model has a projection on the barrel up against the top of, and inside, the receiver like an inverted ramp that guides the cartridge into the chamber. This caught my attention because my 1894FG does NOT have such a mechanism. Is the difference due to the difference in caliber or is my FG missing this piece? The FG feeds most cartridges fine but this new rifle got me wondering.

This new 1894C arrived pretty rough compared to the FG. The bore was very dirty and rough, clearly showing burrs in the grooves that have since smoothed out with initial shooting and cleaning. The action was gritty rough. The action parts had burrs that required removal and polishing before it would cycle with any hint of smoothness. The trigger and hammer springs were STIFF. After lightening these springs and polishing everything, it is much better and managed a three shot, 35 yard group of 1" with the first load tried. Mrs. Retro couldn't quite match that group but she's not used to shooting with open sights. She'll have a scope on it soon as Santa's brown truck brings it. It's starting to look like the loading press is going to get a workout here soon! :)

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Nothing wrong with your .41 mag, it's not needed on it. The .357 has that pice to help align the smaller diameter cartridge with the smaller chamber. This makes feeding the small .357 more relaible.
The large diameter .41 and .44 magnums don't require this projection to line up.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Marlinman93,

Thanks. That's what I was thinking but found it thought provoking to find a difference like that. No matter what parts they use to feed the chamber, they sure are fun little carbines!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts