Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a guy on Gunbroker selling these new 45-70 Cowboy Limiteds with different numbers. I am not familiar with these and am hoping to learn the differences. I noticed one that has a half round/half octagonal barrel for example. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
My LTD-IV has a longish barrel (I think it's 24" but I'm not sure), half round/oct, 8 rnd magazine capacity, pistol grip. It's a nice rifle. I think the LTD-III is like an octagon guide gun, but I don't remember if it is pistol or straight grip. I don't know about the others.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My LTD-III is a 20" Octagon with a straight stock.
My LTD-V is a 24" Octagon/Round with a pistol grip stock.

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Oops, maybe mine is a LTD-V, then, I always forget ;D

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hey Bruiser really appreciate the thorough classification of LTDs (used to think a LTD was a 1970's gas guzzler eh?).

About 5 months ago I was looking for an older/new 1895CB. I went to my favorite gun store in NW WA & was shown a 1895 LTD IV SN 0400. Straight stock, no checkering, Ballard rifling, & 24" octagon bbl. Just like your description. It was brand new but had been there for some time (had light surface rust on bolt).

Really almost too pretty to hunt with? Put an old 1895 Skinner rear sight on it & with the really tall factory front sight it shoots 9" high at 50 yds (OOOPS). Paid a little over $ 650 for it & love it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts