Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For someonewho has been out of touch (me) with the rimfire scene for the past 20 years or so, and has just started plinking again with a vengeance, what is up with these two .17 calibers? What is the difference between the two and why not just use a .22 magnum? How close do the hyper velocity .22lr's come? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
One is based on a LR casing, the other on the 22WMR casing. 2050 ft/sec and 2550 ft/sec respectively using the same bullets.

There is NO reason to not use the 22WMR. I own at least a couple rifles in each of the 17 Calibers, and likewise, the 22WMR. I feel that of all of them, the 17Mach II is the odd man out. I can do with a 22LR what I can do with it. The 17HMR is accurate and flat shooting but doesn't hit with the 22WMR's power. I don't think that either the 17HMR or the WMR is good for anything bigger then ground-squirrels past 150 yards. I shot prairiedogs and rabbits last Friday with the HMR. It did OK as long as the shots were inside 100 yards. After that we needed follow up shots. I have torn cotton-tails in half at 100 yards using my CZ 22WMR and Federal 30 grain HP ammo (2300 ft/sec.) and made good p.dog kills at 150 yards with it as well. While not as flat shooting as the 17HMR, the 22WMR with 40 grain bullets will hit harder within the 150 yard working range and, in a good rifle, is every bit as accurate. If you are lucky like me, you have a rifle that shoots the hot/fast 30 grainers as well.

I like the 17HMR. (Got three of them at last count) but the 22WMR is the more versatile cartidge. If I lived in an area where 60 yard shots were the norm I'd stick with the 22LR. ~Andrew

PS: YOu can't compare hypervelocity 22LR to the 17HMR. Apples and pears: a 22LR isn't meant to operate at hose 17 HMR / 22WMR ranges. On the energy level scale, out to 100 yards, you could draw a comparison to the 17MACH II, I think. (The 22LR would win.)

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Unless Hornady has changed specs some where along the line, the HM-2 is based on the Stinger case, which is a hair or two longer than the LR case. There is/was a .17 based on the LR case- the .17 Aguila/High-Standard. I haven't heard anything more on that one for almost a year now, and it may be passe? High-Standard was supposed to be cranking out a pistol for it....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Actually, I saw that PMC is licensing the 17Aguila. (17PMC) Taurus is building some guns, from what I've heard. Most of the 17 Aguila is being shot in Mach II chambers these days, I think. It works slick and shoots as well. I shot one of the prototype Hi Standard pistols. Very cool squirrel round. ~Andrew

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies and pictures. I see a lot of used .17's in the gunshop, was wondering why everyone was getting rid of them. May have to get a .22mag.
off-topic, but I was at Wallyworld today. They have a savage bolt acion .22 with synthetic stock for $99.00! That may be my little boy's next gun. My brother-in-law is thinking of getting two.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts