Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks!
Does anybody know what the difference is between the two aforementioned models of 336's. Is one considered a Carbine and the other a rifle. I thought Carbine designaation had more to do w/ barel length.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Usually a barrel band gun is considered a carbine, at one time they usually had shorter barrels but these days a 20" tube is pretty standard while it was once short. Carbine as far as non-lever guns are almost always a shorter version of a rifle.
In your other post you asked about swapping back & forth.
You can do it but it'll take some smithing. The foreend cap has a hanger thats dovetailed into the barrel while a barrel band has a relief cut in the barrel for the band screw to pass thru. The same on the front end if you have no band on the muzzle now. Personally I wouldn't do it.
You might be able to fit a foreend made for a band to a foreend cap. I never tried it but it would depend on the wood under the band being the same or bigger than the inside dementions of the cap.
I like a rifle configuration better myself. Barrel bands can be tightened or loosened to achieve better acuracy sometimes, but those same properties can move your zero or open up groups every time you take it apart. I take things apart alot & that may be why I'v come to prefer a cap over barrel bands.
My 336 is a carbine & I dont take it apart much for that reason.

Hope this helped. :)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It certainly did! Thank you very much for the info on what physical differences distinguish the two configurations. If I do a new stock; it'll probably be of the custom variety. I can still do the loop, trigger ans sights/scope aforehand. Thanks.
Billy Boy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts