Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I went to mom's in Ky, and just got back this AM. After a nap(left at 1am!)i thought i put my newest into the album page......
and mm93~nebhogger.....I broke my "budget" ! :roll:
Story time: there is a gunstore in Lexington that has things we all just dream about...I'm talking original flintlocks, spencers, henry's,even saw a volcanic pistol repeter in great shape! well, they had alot of the shelves empty due to the show....but i still saw a few trapdoors on on wall....so against all reason, i went over. low an behold, there was a 1884(?) hanging there, complete. no beat up stock, all the original parts, bore has a couple of small pits, nothing bad......and the price tag read $350!.....the others around her were priced from$850-$1200!!!!!!
I asked the fellows about her and he said she WAS priced cheaper than he wanted,,,,,,,????? :shock: so out came the plastic.....and while checking out he said"i'll tell you what, lemmie lower it to $325 so the price will include the taxes!"
:shock: :shock: :shock:
You know....i'm scared.... :? SOMETHING is gonna ask me for a payback, and i hope i recognise it!!!!! :)
look in my album page for the pictures, i'll take it to the range next weekend....for now i just want to fondle and hold it....!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Hi Kaintuck,
Have fun with your Trapdoor! I had two of them: an 1884 and an 1888. The 1884 had a rough bore, but still held a fairly decent group at 100 yards. The 1888 had a mint bore and could put 10 rounds in 3 inches all day! That was off a sandbag, though. I was using hard cast 405 grain bullets sized to .460" and 23 grains of IMR 4198. I used a 2" x 2" square of single ply toilet tissue over the powder. No leading, keyholing, unexplained flyers, etc. Cases ejected smartly and showed no signs of high pressure. Primers remained flush .The 1888 was a parts gun, too. The bayonet lug attachment had been removed from the barrel. The stock had been carefully cut down to resemble the Carbine stock. It was actually a nice looking 'sporter'. Trapdoors have earned a bad reputation. The design is quite sturdy and well thought out. The hinge pin has slop so that the pin does not absorb any force upon firing. The cam locks tighter and transmits force into the tang that is threaded into the receiver. When Uncle Sam was looking at adopting the 30-40 Krag, they rebarreled a bunch of Trapdoors for testing. There is an astronomical difference between the 45-70 and the Krag when it comes to chamber physics! I have a good reference on the Springfield if you have any questions. Enjoy!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks!

yup, roundwortg, i will have to get a book or two now..... :wink:
i have been a swed fan, a swiss fan, an marlin......i'm a mixed up fellow! :p
i think i like stuff that goes bang!

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Well, it's not the Sharps you dream of, but I bet it was second in line! Nice find, at a very respectable price too!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Kaintuck, what a steal! They are bringing astronomical prices these days. I have four:
cut down carbine used in Red Badge of Courage
1888 Ramrod bayonet
clone offricers model in 38-55
Gemmer in 4065
I also have enough parts to build two more. At one time I had 12 of them.Get Pat Spences book on reloading the 45-70 for the trapdoor. It is a hoot. I am going to try some of the loads (3 .457 roundballs) in mine. moodyholler

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Kaintuck,

Sounds like a fantastic store you get to shop in!!!! I'd love to see some of that stuff. Congratulations on your new find! I've got an 1884 rifle as well but had to pay $650 for mine. Just gives you an idea of how great of a deal you got.

I really like mine, bought it from an old gentleman who had had 5 of them in his lifetime and kept trading up and liked this one best since it shot the best. Mine is in nice condition but has NO cartouche. Probably a big mistake to buy it with no cartouche. Anyone have any thoughts in regard to how big of a mistake that was.

I haven't done much shooting with mine but I understand the 1884 was set up for 500 grain bullets. I tell you what, I want you to figure out that Buffington rear sight then explain it to me!!!!!!!!!

What is the date on the cartouche on yours????

Geoff

·
Registered
110 Posts
GEOFF....the markings on the Buffington sight are actually set up for yards......yep, very long range. This was with the standard black powder load (70 grains) and 500 grain bullet. The carbines were set up for the 405 grain bullet and 55 grains because they didn't have the weight to lessen the felt recoil. The minimum range setting (lowest setting on the Buffington) for the Trapdoor was set at 265 yards (don't have a clue why they picked that number). So at your lowest setting, you will still be quite high at 100 yards. Meant to reach out and touch someone at long distance.

I made a taller front sight out of a piece of flat silver (brass would work too), took out the pin that holds the front sight in and put in the new sight. Worked great, but a very tall front sight. Doesn't damage anything on the rifle and you can always put the original sight back in place.

kaintuck......price was definitely right....you owe someone....

max

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
good reading.....

WOW wishbone! I will be reading for along time at the site:http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/shooterstext.html

there's a wealth of info! :D

thanks all!.....i seem to have 'added' to my small collection with this piece! i will photo the cartouche and post it, but the dang sun has to come out 'sometime' before my macro len's will work good..... :?

thanks all!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Looks like SOMEONE read up on the 'You can have a magnet, too' post! Must have traded his cyclotron in for a linear particle accelerator by the sound of that sweet deal! :D Ya done good!! :D SW

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Blackpowdermax,

Hey thanks for the pointers!!!! I know when I get serious about shooting my trapdoor its going to take a lot of trial and error. I want to shoot blackpowder in it like you mentioned and I know there will be a learning curve along with the necessary purchase of equipment such as a powder measure that works with black powder. I'm sure I'll be asking you some questions!

Wishbone,

Excellent to post that thread. I haven't had time to check it out yet but am most interested!! Thanks again guys.

Geoff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts