Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,160 Posts
I'm glad to hear it Jay. I bet it gets better the more trigger time you get on the new set up.
I never even shot mine with the original grips on because with the 4" barrel it was just so ridiculously unbalanced. I ordered the grips at the same time and had them before I picked up the revolver.
I had the rubber hogue grips on my GP100 and changed them out for the wood ones which are slightly thicker. I may sand, slightly contour, and refinish them one day. The rubber ones fit me better but they look like poo next to the wood grips. ;)

Reactions: Ret_Eng

·
Super Moderator
23,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I left the poo looking Ruger rubber grips on my 454 Casull SRH. The grips don't look that great but they do mitigate the recoil enough so I can stand shooting my hand howitzer. I can last for about 8 full power reloads----then I switch to my Trail Boss 454 Casull reloads, LOL!

Reactions: Click Click Boom

·
Super Moderator
13,160 Posts
I left the poo looking Ruger rubber grips on my 454 Casull SRH. The grips don't look that great but they do mitigate the recoil enough so I can stand shooting my hand howitzer. I can last for about 8 full power reloads----then I switch to my Trail Boss 454 Casull reloads, LOL!
For the Big Boy 454, I would try the Hogue Rubber Tamer grip. It's supposed to be even softer and more forgiving then the regular Hogue rubber overmold monogrip.

We've got to have a range session together. I've always wanted to try an artillery piece like the 454. Have you still got that Ruger 44 special? I can bring some of the odd balls that I've added to my collection lately that I bet you haven't gotten to shoot yet.

Hogue Tamer

·
Super Moderator
23,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yep--still have that Ruger BH 44 SPL. I actually shot it yesterday along with the SP101. Found a very nice bear load for the BH---240 gr BTB boolit under a good amount of A2400. I wouldn't shoot that load in either my 44 SPL Uberti SAA clone or my 44 SPL Ruger GP100. Neither one of those handguns has that sturdy BH frame or thicker forcing cone. We definitely got to have some range time together Steve! That would be so much fun! You can also shoot my Ruger TALO SBH in 44 Mag--the 3.75 inch barrel always makes things interesting..........

·
Super Moderator
13,160 Posts
Sounds great Jay. I'll bring the Advil and my ragtag collection of CZ 75's / clones, and my PPQ's. I know you're not a fan of plastic but there is a reason that I have 4+ PPQ's and the 45 is nicknamed Excalibur. LOL

·
Super Moderator
23,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hey Steve--I do have one Tupperware pistol--a SIG P365. Its very snappy for a 9mm since its a small semi-auto.

·
Super Moderator
13,160 Posts
I've thought about the P365 XL. I've rented and shot it. It solved the one thing that I didn't like about the regular 365 and that was the trigger.
I'm doing to rent the XL again and do a head to head shoot off between it and the Glock 48 to see which I like better.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I'm partial to the zebra wood combat grips. Very nice looking gun.

·
Super Moderator
23,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
I've thought about the P365 XL. I've rented and shot it. It solved the one thing that I didn't like about the regular 365 and that was the trigger.
I'm doing to rent the XL again and do a head to head shoot off between it and the Glock 48 to see which I like better.
I have held the Glock 43 and Glock 48--didn't fit my hands well. They are very good quality handguns--just not right for me. I can shoot the SIG P365 very well plus its a bit more concealable---fits my needs perfectly. Funny how a small difference in the contour of the grips/slide/frame will work well for many but not for others.
I did get to shoot a friends Mossberg MC1sc 9mm and I was impressed by the fit and function plus it was very accurate with both 115 gr and 124 gr FMJ ammo. I hadn't seen one of these before and was very impressed on how well it worked. And this was a pistol that was NIB---after about 25 rounds--it was running like a top.

·
Super Moderator
13,160 Posts
I'm not a fan of the Glock grip angle or feel on any of them except on the 43 and 48. I replaced the trigger on my 43 with a flat trigger and I'm happy with it. I really like the P365XL because of the flat trigger.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
As many of you, I have a Glock 19X and other semi auto pistols. There are only two of many I like and that is the 1911 and the Ruger MK series. Give me a single or double action and I feel like I can hit anything. I keep practicing though.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts