Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Did a deal with a fellow shooter/reloader at the LGS this week. Traded some 9mm brass for a set of wood Ruger SP101 grips. Changed them out this morning on my 3 inch 327 FM SP 101----the pistol already feels better in my hands. The grips are a bit longer and wider which should help with the considerable 327 FM recoil. The grips make the revolver profile a little bit bigger but it still easily fits in my belt holster. Can't wait to get this guy out to the range.

·
Super Moderator
13,209 Posts
Nice Jay, here is my 327 FM. I wish that the grip was just a little larger because my hand barely fits.

·
Super Moderator
26,261 Posts
Good trade, Jay. Certainly makes your SP101 pop and ought to aid in overall shooting. A win-win!

Jack

Reactions: Ret_Eng

·
Super Moderator
23,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Nice Jay, here is my 327 FM. I wish that the grip was just a little larger because my hand barely fits.

View attachment 823904
Very nice Steve! Is your SP 101 the 4 inch version? I don't know what brand these grips are. They were still in the clamshell packaging but the paper info insert wasn't present---so I don't know what company made these grips.

Reactions: JACKTW

·
Super Moderator
26,261 Posts
Very nice Steve! Is your SP 101 the 4 inch version? I don't know what brand these grips are. They were still in the clamshell packaging but the paper info insert wasn't present---so I don't know wnat company made these grips.

Yeah, Steve's SP 101 is nice too and I question whether it's a 4 inch as well.

Regarding your grip, I checked online to find them but to no avail. Not sure who makes them, potentially a custom stock? Let me know if you find the manufacturer. Love the strong grain!

Jack

·
Super Moderator
23,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the grip is a Hogue. They list many different kinds of wood and composite grips for the SP 101. The grip attachment hardware is exactly like what came with a composite Hogue that I put on a Ruger BH some years ago.

Reactions: JACKTW and Kendawg

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Great looking revolver.

·
Registered
486 Posts
VERY NICE grips!

I have always thought a Ruger SP101 in 327 fed mag to be the ultimate daily carry revo!

·
Super Moderator
26,261 Posts
I think the grip is a Hogue. They list many different kinds of wood and composite grips for the SP 101. The grip attachment hardware is exactly like what came with a composite Hogue that I put on a Ruger BH some years ago.

Jay, Hogue was my first thought but I couldn't find it on Hogue's site. It could be a discontinued offering? I sure like it though, looks great.

Jack

·
Premium Member
5,825 Posts
Looks great Jay!

·
Super Moderator
13,209 Posts
Very nice Steve! Is your SP 101 the 4 inch version? I don't know what brand these grips are. They were still in the clamshell packaging but the paper info insert wasn't present---so I don't know wnat company made these grips.
Yeah Jay, it's the 4 inch with rosewood laminate. Yours looks like a Hogue to me in cocobolo, pau ferro, or kingwood.
I'd like to handle that one to see if it's wider then mine.
I got the 327 to start my son on revolvers. I started him on the 32 then the 32 mag, then the full blown 327 Fed. After that he was ready for 38 special and 357 mag.

Click Click Boom, try curling the pinky underneath the bottom of the grip.
My pinky fits barely, it's the width that bugs me. The grip is a little skinny for my tastes without the meat across the back that my Hogue on the Ruger GP100 has.

·
Registered
755 Posts
@Ret_Eng - Excellent upgrade! - Good looking too!
@Click Click Boom - Very nice grips! - Look very sharp
I have one of these little SP101 gems and loverto carry it. I do wish I had a more comfortable grip, tho. Have tried several different grip options but have yet to find one that really fits comfortably. Might have to look into either one of these as an option. I agree that the .327FM is a great little carry gun - I really like it's versatility - a little flame thrower!

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Yeah Jay, it's the 4 inch with rosewood laminate. Yours looks like a Hogue to me in cocobolo, pau ferro, or kingwood.
I'd like to handle that one to see if it's wider then mine.
I got the 327 to start my son on revolvers. I started him on the 32 then the 32 mag, then the full blown 327 Fed. After that he was ready for 38 special and 357 mag.

My pinky fits barely, it's the width that bugs me. The grip is a little skinny for my tastes without the meat across the back that my Hogue on the Ruger GP100 has.
I believe that the original post said "three inch".

·
Super Moderator
13,209 Posts
Yeah, Jay's is the 3" in the first post, but he asked me what length was mine pictured in the second post. Mine is the 4 inch model SP101.

·
Super Moderator
23,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My Ruger SP101 has a 3 inch barrel but Steve was talking about his SP101 which has a 4 inch barrel.

Reactions: Click Click Boom

·
Super Moderator
23,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Jay, Hogue was my first thought but I couldn't find it on Hogue's site. It could be a discontinued offering? I sure like it though, looks great.

Jack
That is my thought too---probably these grips are a model that Hogue doesn't make anymore. They definitely aren't new and are several years old.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Nice grips,... angle kinda reminds me of BISLEY target grips.
Have you shot them yet? Range report would be interesting, to me.

·
Super Moderator
23,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Probably won't get to the range until this Friday. Hopefully the rain isn't too bad................

Reactions: ranchhand

·
Super Moderator
23,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I finally got to shoot my re-gripped SP101 yesterday. The different grips made my 327 FM into a "new" revolver. The pistol felt much better in my hands with my 85 gr XTP/HP-38 reloads. I pretty much kept all my hits into a 3 inch circle around the bull at 7 yards. I can probably tighten that up as I get more used to how the revolver handles. I definitely made a good trade!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts