Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just finally bought a 35 rem off gunbroker. It was a NIB 336CS. About a week ago when I bid on it I was just thinking that They changed to the C before Remlin took over. But since nobody bid on it I'm thinking it has to be a Remlin. I was sitting here watching football and got an email saying I bought it. The pictures were pretty weak but it looks like Marlin cut checkering.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
image.jpg

Here was the only photo of the rifle. I didn't expect to buy it but even if it's a Remlin I did ok for a NIB rifle. Of course as long as they actually ship it. :)

·
Super Moderator
25,165 Posts
The 336CS was changed to the 336C model long before Marlin merged with Remington. If the seller read the barrel stamping correctly--that should be a JM Marlin.

Reactions: Em336

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
1984 is when the 336 became 336 CS "Carbine Safety" long before Remington took over.

Looks like the wood to metal fit is good,more then likely is a "Marlin":biggrin:

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah it is a 336CS I saw the pics of all the packaging. I couldn't make out a barrel stamp and honestly I didn't want to ask any questions that would lead one to update the description. Then the price would have went up.

·
Registered
218 Posts
That looks like it's from the 1990-1998 era. It will have a flat brown butt pad with a white spacer. And yes cut checkering. You did good.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just received a message from the seller that he is selling his late fathers collection. It's probably a real marlin.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
When you are paying for something it should not be a problem qualifying what you are buying. I would not be afraid to ask questions. As time goes on I see Marlins for sale and have a least an idea of when it was made. When in doubt, ask for the serial number. Otherwise you are bidding on the blind.

Mike T.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I'm glad oduff pointed out the butt pad, I can't see it on my screen but it's the first hint I looked for. Good find, wonder if the gent is selling any more Marlins from his dad's collection...
Ss

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When you are paying for something it should not be a problem qualifying what you are buying. I would not be afraid to ask questions. As time goes on I see Marlins for sale and have a least an idea of when it was made. When in doubt, ask for the serial number. Otherwise you are bidding on the blind.

Mike T.
I wasn't totally blind. I was 99% sure the CS was an older rifle and I would have paid that for a NIB Remlin. It was when I bought it that I second guessed myself. Haha If the seller updates the title with "JM stamped" or " pre Remington" then I have to bid against you guys lol and I never outbid anyone here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts