Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all...

My dream gun is a "336YSS" but I don't know if one was ever manufactured.
Perfect truck gun in my opinion.
Do I need to have a 336SS cut down?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gotta find one first. My 1986 336CS isn't getting touched by a saw. :biggrin:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Eli that wasn't very kind of you. Now I'm counting pennies and thinking of ways to let my wife be flexible on my gun budget! :flute:

Reactions: Eli Chaps

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
Eli that wasn't very kind of you. Now I'm counting pennies and thinking of ways to let my wife be flexible on my gun budget! :flute:
If you haven't already, spend some time crawling around Lew's site. He does some cool stuff for sure. The Backpacker Scout Lite is just about the coolest Marlin I can imagine.

·
Banned
457 Posts
The closest thing Marlin made to a stainless 336Y was the 336SDG. It was a stainless gun with pistol grip and 16" barrel, but had a full length buttstock. The wood was also laminate instead of walnut.

Here are some pics of a couple of mine

View attachment 101252 View attachment 101253

Hancock 45 did a video shooting this exact rifle, was pretty good to watch

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Troy those look great. That big loop is just about perfect.

Eli thank you for the info. You always seem to have solid answers. Much appreciated Sir.

Reactions: T-Roy and Eli Chaps

·
Banned
869 Posts
Eli, on the second link you posted... with the 1895XLR... that sight/scope rail looks like a sweet set up. I really like the flexibility of being able to switch back and forth between open sights and a scope. Can you educate some of us on this? Name, brand, price, etc.? Anyone have one of these on their Marlin? I would like to hear some experiences of using it in the field and on the range?

·
Banned
4,733 Posts
Scott, as stated the SDG was the closest. The new SS's are hitting Gunbroker, I snagged one for $565 and its real nice. You can get one and have it cut down. Its still hard to get used to this new checkering.

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
Eli, on the second link you posted... with the 1895XLR... that sight/scope rail looks like a sweet set up. I really like the flexibility of being able to switch back and forth between open sights and a scope. Can you educate some of us on this? Name, brand, price, etc.? Anyone have one of these on their Marlin? I would like to hear some experiences of using it in the field and on the range?
I think Lew is using custom fit LPA shotgun sights on that if I remember right and I don't know if he is buying the XS rail or making his own.

I have a scout setup on my 336W and love it. It is a love it or leave it affair with people on both sides of the aisle. A lot depends on the intent of the gun. Use the forum's advanced search feature and search for scout scope and you'll find lots of info and discussions.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I was looking at the youth model for my sons first rifle but I love how short it is and was think of it for me with a longer stock, but I found a sweet 336c in 35 for a sick price and now I'm lookind at the 45/70 SS guide gun.
If they make a youth in SS I'm in for one.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Well today I stepped up and bought a new 336SS (.30-30) from Cabelas while on a road trip to bowhunt antelope in WY. Picked it up in SD. I checked the fit of the wood to metal, the action, internal metal parts that I could see, and the alignment of the sights. Overall it passed every visual inspection I could think of. I plan on having it cut down to 16 1/4" like the 336Y, adding skinner or XS sights, and a larger loop (the size of the 336BL).

Thanks guys for all of the advice. I really appreciate it.

Scott

Reactions: mattusmc
1 - 16 of 16 Posts