Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to a gun show recently and saw a Marlin in .450 Cal, had a 22" barrel with a new Leupold VXII 2-7 on it and a leather shell holder on the stock. There was no checkering on the stock or forearm and I don't remember it having the cross bolt safety. What model would this have been and possible year ? ( Sorry--no serial number) The gun looked almost new--said a young guy got it all set up to go to Alaska and couldn't go so he took it in on trade.

I've known the dealer for years and he's been a straight shooter with me, said he had over $800.00 in the gun.

He was asking $900.00, and, as hard as it was to do, I passed.

Did I screw up ?

Steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: Did I Screw Up ?

Nope! I would not say that. At this time there are two 450 Marlin rifles up for auction on Gunbroker.com. Both are listed at under the $900.00 price tag you passed up on the gun show rifle.

skeeter67 ;D

·
Registered
135 Posts

Sounds really steep to me also! You can find 450's on Gun Broker for around $500.00!

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts

Anything over five bills is way over priced. I paid $450 for my 450. ;D It only had 20 rounds shot threw it.

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts

Plus for 200-300 bucks you can buy your new Leupy, and put it on a reasonably priced .450! And it will still be cheaper than that $900 toy.

·
Registered
831 Posts

With a 22" barrel that sounds like the MR model which is more collectable and hence higher in price. They weren't popular, so they were dropped quickly out of the catalog. Still thats too dang much for it and the VX2 probably sells for $250 new since the VX2 3-9 is $300 new.

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

hunter6657 said:
With a 22" barrel that sounds like the MR model which is more collectable and hence higher in price. They weren't popular, so they were dropped quickly out of the catalog. Still thats too dang much for it and the VX2 probably sells for $250 new since the VX2 3-9 is $300 new.
Hunter--

How much higher in price ? It's an older gun than I've seen here or on the auction sites but it is the only one I've ever seen. Stock and forearm are smooth--no checkering.
Any idea as to when these were made ?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
250 Posts

ia1727 said:
Hunter--

How much higher in price ? It's an older gun than I've seen here or on the auction sites but it is the only one I've ever seen. Stock and forearm are smooth--no checkering.
Any idea as to when these were made ?

Thanks,

Steve
Yep my son's was an MR... very nice rifle

Snake

·
Premium Member
492 Posts

If it was me, I would have offered $800 and been happy walking away paying up to $850. ;D

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts

To my knowledge Marlin didn't make any pre-safety 450's so I would think that somebody put a conversion kit in it removing the cross bolt safety. Either that or it wasn't a factory 450. Today the MR is valued at a higher price than the 1895M Guide Gun because of the limited run (poor sales). I realize that was a nice scope on the rifle but that was too much money as far as I'm concerned.

Unless you are specifically looking for an MR I would just pick up a model year 2008 or earlier Guide Gun. You'll spend a lot less and be into more fun than you can handle. ;D

1895Gunner

·
Registered
831 Posts

Check the serial number on the rifle and see if it falls in the 2000-2005 range which is when they first came out with the 450 and 2004-5 is when they discontinued the MR. The pics that I see show checkering on the stock unless they refinished it which would ruin the collectability as far as a NIB rifle.

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

What does the MR stand for ?

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts

MarlinRemington
Mostly Ratty
Much Remorse
Misaligned Receiver
Marlin Reject
Mainly Reprehensible
Many Recycled
It's one of these, can't ever be sure which.

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Bull Snake said:
MarlinRemington
Mostly Ratty
Much Remorse
Misaligned Receiver
Marlin Reject
Mainly Reprehensible
Many Recycled
It's one of these, can't ever be sure which.
Seriously--what does the MR stand for ?

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts

Marlin Remington

·
Registered
831 Posts

Mostly Rubbish

The carbine guidegun model is designated with a M and the longer length barrel model is designated MR which I think stands for Rifle as in 1895M--rifle or 1895MR

Now the MR in front of the serial number on the new ones seems to have lots of meanings!!!

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

hunter6657 said:
Mostly Rubbish

The carbine guidegun model is designated with a M and the longer length barrel model is designated MR which I think stands for Rifle as in 1895M--rifle or 1895MR

Now the MR in front of the serial number on the new ones seems to have lots of meanings!!!
Thanks Hunter--I figured it had to have something to do with the barrel length, finish or stock configuration.

Steve

·
Registered
25 Posts

I paid $325 for an as new .450 a couple months ago. I'd have passed just as you did. I was looking for a 45/70 but when i saw this rifle so cheap, I bought it and reloading dies instead.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts