Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new to me 35 REM. I have a 1895gs, but after reading about how great this caliber was, I thought I needed this. I paid $200. The blueing is mostly gone, but the bolt looks good, the barrel looks very good. The wood has recently been oiled. It has both factory sights plus a Williams reciever sight. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.
Chad

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
35 rem.

Chad Except for the blueing it sounds like you got yourself a good deal if you're going to shoot it yourself and your happy with it then I don't see any problem there. If however your going to want more info you have to send the ser.no. it's either on the top of the grip behind the hammer, under the lever, or in front of the trigger guard on the bottom of the reciever. That will tell about 80 percent of what you want to know as for the rest sometimes we find out the whole story on a gun, some times [more likely] it has secrets it keeps to itself. But,its a good caliber ,I had one myself and will again,soon. good luck and good shootin'. shootrj2003

·
Registered
431 Posts
that's a good price for a good shooter. I wouldn't worry about the blue, but Marlin will reblue so good you can't tell from new for a fair price.

G

·
In my area, that is a very good price. The important thing is that if you like it and will shoot it, then you didn't pay too much for it. I love a rifle that looks like it has been carried and used. It tells me that someone loved it enough to take it with them. Don't you wonder about a 50+ year old gun that looks brand new? Maybe it didn't shoot worth a darn and the owner stuck it in the back of his safe or gun rack. Give me a firearm with "ghost" any day.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sidespin: The dealer told me it was ballard. It looks deeper then the ballard on my 1895gs. It's a 336RC. Pistol grip stock.
I bought it yesterday with money down. I had no intentions of buying the gun when I went in to buy some reloading supplies. They had just gotten it that day or the day before. I think it will be my early fathers day present. My wife was exited for me. Big plus!
Do any of the home blue methods work? I don't want to put alot of money in the gun, but I do want to protect the metal. This gun might turn into my pickup gun.
Chad

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
labrat, I am much too traditional to be reading your thread. When you start talking about such a grand old firearm as a truck gun it is almost traumatic for me. Why don't you sell it to someone who will restore it and get another, more recent rifle for the same price or less?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sidespin, I don't mean a truck gun that is always hanging in the back window, never cleaned, otherwise neglected. Rather the rifle that I would take with me any time that I'm going somewhere, be it shooting at our farm or helping someone out with harvest. The caliber seems like it would be a waste to just sit in my safe.
Chad

·
Registered
189 Posts
Labrat,

Good gun at a good buy in my neck of the woods, western Montana.

As far as cold blue, I have used Vans Instant Gun Blue. I bought it at a gun show, but they have a website I found later on the internet. This stuff really works compared to the krap I've tried to use before. :eek:

http://miracleproducts.websitewizard.com/Home.html

I'm not connected in anyway with this company. I salvaged a '52 336A in .35 using it. Mechanicals and bore were great, just outer metal and wood abuse. I refurbished both wood and metal. Rifle now looks great in comparison and I use it as the shooter I bought it for. After having a .35 for a year, I have really learned to love this caliber. :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Henry McCann, How many oz.'s might it take? Also, I'm presuming that you need to remove all exsisting blueing and properly degrease? One more question, are the instructionns complete enough for a moron , like myself? I've never attempted to use any type of blueing product. Thanks.
Chad

·
Registered
189 Posts
Labrat,

They sell a degreaser that I used just because my friend bought some, but they have directions about using readily available hardware store type products. Cleaning and degreasing makes alot of difference.

There is still over half of one of the small bottles left and it has been used on 4 or 5 guns and extensively on the .35.

Just follow their directions carefully. I am still a beginner and I'm pleased with the results I've gotten.

No,it's not a careful rust blue from Turnbull Restorations, but to use as an everday shooter it can't be beat. I've had my dad and friends look at the .35 and never one question about the bluing. :)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Don't cold blue it before you get a quote from Marlin. Just go to www.marlinfirearms.com and look up repairs. They do a bang up job for a very reasonable fee. Don't think it is a cold blue, but a regular factory blueing. Please check into it if you want a reblue.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I checked Marlin's repair site. It would cost $110. Does the factory re-blue hold up better then coldblue?
I haven't been around any gun that I knew was re-blued except for my Ruger security-six that Ruger re-barreled and re-blued for no charge. Excellent service considering that I had not bought it new and the gun was 15 to 20 years old at the time. (sorry, off topic)
I wouldn't mind paying more if it would hold up better. Another plus would be they could also look over the gun and maybe see something that needs replacing that I might not see.
Thanks for everyones responses.
Chad

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have limited experience with cold blue. I did a Marlin .22 mag bolt that came out real well, but the blue wears off easily. It's your decision of course. You may not want to fork over that much dough for a hunting gun that will see some rough conditions. I feel like Marlin made that rifle and knows a thing or to about reblueing it however. I have a .35 cal 336A which I like and use with its original faded blue, (it's a '51 model), but if I were to have it reblued, I would let Marlin do it.

I've often thought of browning that rifle myself, however, in the style of the old percussion rifles.

Whatever you do, enjoy it and have fun with it. You may get more pride of ownership out of a cold blue you did yourself. I might enjoy a slick factory blue more. I just wanted you to know you have a nice option with the Marlin blue. It sounds like a fair price for a factory job. They have the equipment and expertise to do a great job.

·
Registered
697 Posts
There is a small shop near here in Huntsville, Mo. that does a great job on a leveraction reblue for only $75. I can get the phone number if it interests you. Larry does a good job and is more concerned about quality than quantity. I,ve got a 76 .35 rem. I only have about $167. in it so I,ve been thinking about a reblue and was there about a week ago to look at his work. Good shooting, Rick

1 - 18 of 18 Posts