Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking 45 LC might be a better way to go rather than get a 44 mag.
No marlin is easy to find but.
I'm liking the 45 LC more and more over the 44 mag.
I'm just hoping these aren't Holy Grail guns.
People in NH really know the value of their guns.
Because the choices seem to be
Marlin 1894
Uberti 1873
Rossi M92
or pony up $$$$$ for a Winnie 1892

I also want to be able to shoot full power loads out of whatever I get.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Yeah they made 1894 45LC, ...
You will problyfind mostly anemic.cowboy loads though. If you handload your fine for making hunting loads though!
If you dont roll your own id opt for 44mag! I have two 1894 44mags (1894P & 1894CB) and Love"em!!! The 44 will give you better.choices in cowboy or fullsnort loads for huntin!!!

Good Luck!!
BloodGroove4570

PS
Whatever you decide, the 1894 will be spendy. Dont overlook the Rossi 92, they are.quite a good gun and can be slicked up to run great!!! If you go the 92 route try to look a few over when buying...

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Honestly I have both 44mag and 45lc in 1894 cowboys. If you don't reload then the 44mag would be easier to find ammo for, and if you reload the 45lc will shoot larger 300gr plus bullets better. I prefer the 44mag,but that's meerly an opinion, get the one that you want. Regardless either would be a fine choice.
JB

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
+1 on what BloodGrove and jbaker said.

Jack

·
Registered
348 Posts
Condition1-----there is another option---for a while Rossi was making the 92 in 454 Casull---which is a pretty strong caliber----rifle will also shoot 45 colts-----they & ammo might be a little hard to find--ya would have to do a little looking around ---another factor is bore diam.-if ya shooting jacketed ammo no problem but w/ cast bullets the Marlins commonly need a 431 or 432 for 44 mag & 454 for 45 colt---not diam ya gonna usually find in store bought cast ammo.----the Rossi 92 usually needs a 430 diam for 44 mag & 452 for 45 colt which is what store bought cast ammo generally is!

·
Registered
920 Posts
IMG_20140104_155728_854.jpg

Here is a Talo distributer addition with a 16.25" barrel. Widow
"

·
Registered
289 Posts

My Marlin 45 Colt says 45 Colt on the barrel.....nothing about a "long" colt. So what is a "Long" Colt? Does it have a longer case, a magnum, maybe?

·
Premium Member
2,809 Posts
They aren't hard to find, I have two of them!

·
Registered
9,156 Posts

My Marlin 45 Colt says 45 Colt on the barrel.....nothing about a "long" colt. So what is a "Long" Colt? Does it have a longer case, a magnum, maybe?
Lotta folks call it the "Long Colt", but it's the same thing as a 45 Colt. I have seen pics on the net showing brass headstamped 45 Long Colt, but have never seen any up close and personal. I have read that when the Army used both the 45 Colt and 45 Schofield, the term "Long Colt" was used to ensure the right cartridge was delivered to the troops. DP

Reactions: Condition 1

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Condition1-----there is another option---for a while Rossi was making the 92 in 454 Casull---which is a pretty strong caliber----rifle will also shoot 45 colts-----they & ammo might be a little hard to find--ya would have to do a little looking around ---another factor is bore diam.-if ya shooting jacketed ammo no problem but w/ cast bullets the Marlins commonly need a 431 or 432 for 44 mag & 454 for 45 colt---not diam ya gonna usually find in store bought cast ammo.----the Rossi 92 usually needs a 430 diam for 44 mag & 452 for 45 colt which is what store bought cast ammo generally is!
I have two of the Rossi 454's, 16" stainless and 20" blued, both feed and shoot very nicely. Chambers are held to tighter specs than any 45 colt chamber in a rifle I've owned/own which works the brass less. DP

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

The correct term is 45 Colt. The term Long Colt is used to differentiate between 45 ACP and 45 Colt.
That is why I say Long Colt. either way works but for some 45 Colt might mean 45 ACP and saying
Long Colt clarifies what you mean.
45 Automatic Colt Pistol (ACP)
Both are Colts.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am looking at the Rossi's they seem pretty slick. I know they are based on the
1892 action which is very strong, supposedly stronger than the 1894 Marlin.
Gotta decide tomorrow as I am looking at a Ruger Redhawk (not super) in
45 Colt. I really don't care for the Ruger Redhawk in 44 mag and I want a
pistol/rifle combo.
I will have to reload I guess.

·
Premium Member
2,809 Posts
Think his looking for a 1894 (round barrel) rifle in 45LC
Oh! Those might be harder to find because I've never seen one of those.

·
Premium Member
3,211 Posts
The way I understand it. Even though your 45 colt has the case capacity to load up to 44mag speeds, the cases are designed on the thinner side and wont hold up for long. I do load my Winchester 94 a little hotter than black powder, but I wont do full power 44mag pressures. But hey, when your throwing a 250-300gr (or more) bullet, how much speed do you really need in most cases.

Reactions: Condition 1

·
Registered
567 Posts
I've never mic'd brass thickness but I seem to have experienced different thicknesses even in .45 Colt brass, depending upon manufacturer.

I've run some pretty HOT STUFF thru my .45 Colt 1894 Marlins using .45 Colt brass and the brass seems to hold up well.....especially brass. Nickel plated stuff seems to split with only a few reloads.

At present, I'm using some CUT DOWN .454 brass at .45 Colt lengths and getting some mighty impressive stuff with 250-300 grain slugs. As mentioned before, I use LilGun. The .454 Brass uses SMALL primers and I either use small pistol magnum or small rifle.

Now, as for the round barrel, Marlin 1894 in .45 Colt.......yes, they did make some, I just don't know how many.
BUT, the one I have sports a rifle configuration (no barrel band...but it does have an end cap on the forend). It also came from the factory with a 16.5" round barrel. According to the letter that came with it, there were only 1051 produced. It also has checkered wood. Its a great woods rifle.

I turned it into a 'Widdermajik' in C45S (Cowboy .45 Special) cartridge and it holds 11 of them in the tube. For those not familiar with the C45S cartridge, it is a rimmed cartridge with identical specs as the .45 ACP.

..........Widder

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
The correct term is 45 Colt. The term Long Colt is used to differentiate between 45 ACP and 45 Colt.
That is why I say Long Colt. either way works but for some 45 Colt might mean 45 ACP and saying
Long Colt clarifies what you mean.
45 Automatic Colt Pistol (ACP)
Both are Colts.
.45 ACP figures nowhere in the .45 Colt/Long Colt argument...

This is the single best explanation/thread/argument I have ever seen on the issue...

The .45 "Long" Colt........ - The Firing Line Forums

1 - 19 of 19 Posts